Yet Another Cable Splitting Question

Username: Mleg

Post Number: 1
Hello There,

I need to split my cable a bunch of times. There are certain things that need the signal however.

So I have Rogers home phone, Rogers Highspeed and Rogers Digital Cable.

I have been having a lot of problems with the set up so far so I was wondering if someone could verify that this is the best way to set up my home.Upload

So the Home Phone and Internet are really important, the 2 digital boxes are also fairly important and then the rest is really just luxury (bedrooms, laundry/home gym etc).

Is this the best way? Should I had amplifiers? One of the digital boxes is about 100'+ run.

I appreciate all your help and consideration!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 930
Greetings Matt,

Have you tried this or are you in the planning phase? I am wondering if the way you have it drawn is working for you.

If you are in the planning stage then I would suggest tapping the main in 3 times with a balanced splitter. One leg will run the phone, the second the internet and the third then will need an amplifier and an 8 way splitter to service all of the TVs. There isn't anything terribly unusual about the set up so I wouldn't anticipate any difficulty unless there is a really weak signal coming into the house.

Post Number: 2
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your response.

This is just a plan that I had. I read through some posts and came to the conclusion that those large multi splitters might not work.

Initially, mind you this was before the cable guy came and installed the phone and internet, I had it set up with the original signal split two ways, then one of those wires going to an 8 way splitter which powered all the tvs except for 3 analog tvs. The other wire went to a three way which then powered the other three analog tvs.

Then the cable guy came and basically called me an idiot for dreaming that an 8 way splitter was acceptable.
So currently, the main line is split two ways, one cable is then again split two ways and this powers the phone and tv and the other cable is split three ways. Then it basically turns into a mess in my attic. I had it so nice and organized on that 8 way. And it did work. So I think I will take your advice.

As far as amplifiers go, would you recommend one of those 8 way splitters with a built in amplifier?

Silver Member

Post Number: 932
On one hand I thoroughly enjoy hearing that the cable guy tells you something is impossible (not the calling you an idiot part) because that is what I am building my business on but on the other hand I really do get mad at those guys!

An 8 way amplified splitter would be a good solution but only if an unamplified 8 way splitter doesn't work!

Post Number: 3
Thanks again Jim,

I will give it a shot. Obviously I will try with the un-amplified first because I have one. Hopefully that will work.

On a side note, the shield on the main line is grounded to a waterline. I was up in the attic handling one of the lines from the main, and could feel current. I think that some of the braided steel shielding hasn't been pulled back under the connector, and is actually touching the main conductor on the rg6 line. Would this cause this?

Is it extremely important that the white plastic shield around the main conductor around the rg6 cable is pushed right up flash on the F-connector? I have trouble every time pushing the connector on? I guess it is getting stuck on the braided steel stuff. I need a better stripper. This may be part of my problem of lost signal.

You are great Jim. You are a great help! I truly appreciate it. Do you have a pay pal set up for donations?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
If the sheild is shorting to the center conductor there is definitely some cause for concern. Putting on the connectors properly is very important with a system the size of yours so make sure they are done correctly but as long as the center lead isn't toughing the sheild at all the white insulator doesn't NEED to be flush with the inside of the connector.

regarding the donation, yes indeed I do have a PAypal account and will give details if you email me at jbay48150@aol.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us