Record to VCR after digital transition

Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 1
I'm wanting to know if I can still record to my VCR after the transition to digital television with my new HDTV? I know that if I have a converter box the signal is changed into an analog one which will work on my VCR. But does my HDTV have the ability to convert the digital signal into an analog one for my VCR?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3992
Doubtful you can use the TV. I don't know if you would want to anyway since the TV would have to be on. Just get the $40 off government coupons and buy a converter for $8-$20. You can get the DTV-PAL for free, you just pay the shipping, or the Zeinth from CC for $20 is a good choice.

Bronze Member
Username: Onecall

Spokane, WA

Post Number: 13
If your TV has an Analog A/V output you can test it now if you're already receiving the digital broadcasts. But like David says, it doesn't really make sense unless you want to record something you're already watching.

The other alternate would be a DVD/VCR recorder that will have the ATSC tuner built in although it would be more expensive than a converter box. However I'm not certain if any of the conveter boxes featuer a timer for programmed recordings when you're not home.

Matt @ OneCall

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3994
The DTV-PAL has timers. There have been some people reporting problems with the timers, a firmware update may have fixed them by now though, I don't know on that one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us