Using sandisk sansa taketv

Username: Jkjack

Post Number: 1
i have several older tv sets that i wish to use the new sansa taketv with in order to show video in an english media cafe in korea. the sets will be old because i am buying several and old sets are really cheap. the sets have a single coaxial fitting on the rear. the taketv specs say "the TakeTV uses S-Video or RCA for video and RCA for audio". so i assume i need an adapter but this will be expensive if i need one for each tv. i wonder could i plug the taketv cables into a vcr and then run the coaxial from the vcr to the coaxial connection on the back of the tvs - with some kind of adapter that would allow the signal to go to several tvs. another problem is that the taketv has three cables (actually 5 as can be seen in the photo enclosed as an attachment or at this link (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4876_intro24387.html) and the vcr has only 2 ports - video and audio. so, i'm confused as to what all these cables are for. here are the questions i have:

1. can the taketv be used thru the vcr that i have (or will i need a newer model - seems i remember using cables with three connections - one video, 2 stereo? and just not using one of the stereo connections - having no stereo is not a problem for the use i intend)?
2. can the video and audio out from the vcr be used via some sort of adapter so that several tvs can be connected to a single vcr?
3. if not, do you have any suggestions (buying a better tv is not an option as i will need about 4-5 for the cafe and can only afford the cheap old ones.
4. just what are the cables in the photo - from top to bottom

thanksUpload

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2072
­
John, you don't exactly specify where the video is going to come from that you want to display on the "several older TV sets." The TakeTV is made specifically for displaying computer generated video that is stored on the TakeTV's flash drive. Is this what you're doing?

Your questions:
1. can the taketv be used thru the vcr that i have (or will i need a newer model - seems i remember using cables with three connections - one video, 2 stereo? and just not using one of the stereo connections - having no stereo is not a problem for the use i intend)?

Yes, you can hook up the composite cable (yellow) into the VCR's video input, and either the red or white cable into the mono audio input on this (very old) VCR. You would have to select the VCR's "line input" for this to work.

2. can the video and audio out from the vcr be used via some sort of adapter so that several tvs can be connected to a single vcr?

You could split the VCR's RF (VHF/UHF) output with a splitter. Most likely you will need an amplified splitter like this one.

3. if not, do you have any suggestions (buying a better tv is not an option as i will need about 4-5 for the cafe and can only afford the cheap old ones.

Those old TVs should work, provided they are tuned to the output channel of the VCR. That would be either channel 3 or 4, if it works the same way in Korea as the US.

4. just what are the cables in the photo - from top to bottom

power plug for the power supply
composite video
right audio
S-video
left audio
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us