Help with Cox Cable DVR

Username: Andre18

Post Number: 1
Hello, can someone help me out. My new Sony SXRD recognizes my HD channels coming out of my Cox Cable Box (DVR) slowly. The result is a screen that says "please consult your local Cox rep to susbscribe..blah blah blah." However after a few seconds it goes away and I can see the HD channel. The end result is that my DVR eliminates my scheduled recordings from its "to do" list because it does not recognize the channel. I have to turn off the box, turn it on and then they all appear again. I need to do this daily. I have changed cable boxes gotten signals sent to it many times but no solution. Does anyone have any thoughts?

fx
Unregistered guest
I bet you are using the HDMI or DVI connection.

If you will tell me the following I'll try to help:

1 Exact manufacturer and Model of DVR
2 What State (if Washington State it is a different software version).
3 Are you running your video connection through any other devices (such as a switcher or receiver) before it reaches your Sony

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
Yes, I am using an HDMI-DVI. how did you know? I run a direct connection (the HDMI-DVI) from my Cable Box to the TV. I do have a receiver for surround sound. I have an digital audio optical cable going from the Cable Box to the receiver. If I were to hook by cable box into the receiver (using an HDMI cord) would that help. I will let you know the box model ASAP. I am not at home at the moment. Thank you for your help.

Post Number: 3
oh by the way I live in CT, not Washington State

fx
Unregistered guest
I will be glad to help if I can. Now that I know your setup a bit better I imagine you have a Motorola DCT-6412 DVR. Two suggestions:

First if you have a set of component cables try hooking your display up using those and see if the "Subscription Bug" (That is what we geeks have called what you are describing) still occurs.

Unfortunately it will probably still have the bug. If it does then your local cable provider (Cox) needs to download an updated firmware version to your DVR. They will either have an updated version or not, nothing you can do will force the download it must be initiated at the headend by Cox.

Motorola is well aware of the subscription bug and has helped local cable companies all over the US develope the fix. Unfortunately not all the local cable providers are up to date.

If the component cable usage does not help the best thing you can do is to call your local Cox CS number and insist on speaking to a technical support person, not the CS rep. You might get some real help then.

Let me know if I can help you further or if you get your problem resolved.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 4
This is good advice. Thank you. However, interestingly I did hook up component cable and it seemed to work. It still concerns me though that I am not able to run an HDMI connection. I called Cox Cable on your advice. They told me that perhaps I need a "booster" to eliminate the initial loss of signal that occurs. What is your take on that? Do you think that will help? Again my loss of picture occurs only when I initially switch inputs to my HD Cable box. Once I am on that particular input if I switch channels, the signal comes back. Appreciate your advice.

fx
Unregistered guest
The best advice I can offer is that very very few people can tell any difference in video quality between component connections and an HDMI or DVI connection. What some people notice is the gray scale and color calibration must be different for the two different type of input signals. If bot are calibrated correctly and you are a reasonable distance from your display either should look great in HD but will vary in quality on analog channels.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 7
This is somewhat interesting. The Cox Cable guy came over and we discovered that this problem obly occurs when I am watching it in 1080I not 720P. Do you see a different in the quality of these 2 viewing options?

fx
Unregistered guest
I see no difference and I have three different types of HD displays. A 60" CRT, a 61" DLP and a 19" LCD. The first is native 1080i and the latter two are native 720p.

Since your display is native 720p (really 768p but not a factor) your problem should be solved, use the 720p output setting.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 8
well thank you for your help, I will use the 720P. I think that a lot of people have had problems with the Cox Motorola Box and an HDMI or DVI connection. This according to the Cox rep.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
so the Cox cable guy told me that I should try the HDMI Box instead of the DVI Box, so I went and picked one up yesterday. So I get home and everything works. No more video distraction when I switch video inputs. However everytime I switch my video inputs my cable box defauts back to the analog audio instead of dolby digital. So now that the video problem is gone, its onto audio issues! when will it end!

fx
Unregistered guest
"when will it end!(?) "

Not until you stop following the cable tech's advice. :-)

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Do you think that I am having audio problems because my new HDMI box supports the audio as well. Therefore is there confusion between the audio from the HDMI cable and the digital coax? How does the receiver know which to use?

Unregistered guest
Picked up dct 6412 III today and with the HDMI connection the box turns it self on and off repeatedly---call to Cox did not resolve problem--other forms of conection work.

Unregistered guest
Picked up dct 6412 III today and with the HDMI connection the box turns it self on and off repeatedly---call to Cox did not resolve problem--other forms of conection work.

trainman 2
Unregistered guest
Per telecon with COX technician on Dec 16--COX does not at this time support HDMI output(only supports component)--waiting on an update from Motorola that will take place maybe in Jan 2006.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 200
only use 1 audio cable. hdcp is flakey. componet seems to be the only reliable input.

S Kebschull
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with the 6412 III with the box resetting itself constantly when I was using the HDMI connection. With the component connection, it seems to work fine (although the picture is noticeably less clear). Cox says that Motorola is working on a fix for the HDMI, but they have no ETA on that.

So to summarize, with the 6412, there is a USB port that doesn't work, a FireWire port that doesn't work, an Ethernet port that doesn't work, and an HDMI port that doesn't work.

Come on, Motorola, that's not a great batting average.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 208
jan 06 SHOULD work.....

Anonymous

Just got an Sony SXRD, with the Cox cable box. I found this site looking for just the answers you gave about the HDMI problems. Guess I will also switch back to Component and wait for a fix.
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
HDMI connection for Cox cable in the Hampton Roads VA area is working.

jamieb65
Unregistered guest
Cox CABLE - HamptonRoads

HDTV Tech from Cox came out after three different Cox's Motorola DVR box switch outs and I also switched out my Phillips 42" Plasma with another one only to say Cox "Corporate in Atlanta" has sent out a notice to all Field Engineers that the HDMI output still does not work.

As of March 1st 2006.

Username: Rherb89

Virginia Beach, Virginia

I am on this road now!! Purchased an LG 50" HDTV and now I am trying to go HDMI. I got a receiver that would handler the HDMI for DVD and COX Box.. When using the HDMI Cable with the Cox box to my receive I get the subscription notice? Then the people that hooked my system up just to make things work hooked up a Video RCA jack from the Cox box to my reciever and all is working.. However the HDMI is carring the AUDIO signals to my surround system? I was told by cox before I went and purchased the HDMI cables that all I needed was to hook up the HDMI cables and all would be good!! Yeah right.. Today Jun 6th on my way to cox to see about another Box going to give that a try and see what they say. If all else fails I will go back to Component but that seems to be going in the wrong direction if you want the better signal and all.. I know there is not much differance but would like to use all HDMI inputs!! if anyone knows any more info for Hampton Roads Virginia would appreciate any info..

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 119
Roger,

Are you aware that your receiver and STB are using different versions of HDCP via the HDMi connection? This is causing your audio problems. The STB manufacturers blame the receiver manufacturers and vice versa. I am waiting till the HDMI 1.03 spec is finalized and both STB's and receivers are compatible. Till then I am satisfied with my component picture and audio via an optical cable directly to my HT receiver.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 772
I'll be even more satisfied when the people that make STB's and the people that make receivers/TV/DVD burners and everything else can learn to work together before they sell something to a customer that doesn't work due to incompatibility. DVI evolved into HDMI, which is backwards compatible with DVI (as long as the display or device connected to has HDCP compliance). I know HDMI works on a Sony, but might not on a Samsung....same equipment connecting to different TV's and 2 different results. Who's to blame, the TV or the STB? Personally I blame the FCC for not paying attention to the fine details of how to build these devices, how they interact with each other and thorough testing before they were released to the general public. Blame goes in both directions all the time, I can read, and I've been to the SCTE site that established all the foundations for all the in's and out's on how to build, and what specifications need to be in place before this equipment is sold. Using words like recommend, or advised leave an open hole for any manufacturer to say "it didn't say must be, therefore we didn't incorporate that feature in our stuff". If you have any knowledge about electronics, go read the standards on the SCTE website, and then see if any of it makes sense lol.

Username: Rherb89

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Well I was told today by a COX Technician that They have not received all the software updates for all receivers?? Told me to go back to componant and optical for the sound. My Receiver is a Denon I want to say 708 not sure on that but it was one that has 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out.. I will have to check down stairs but I am pretty sure the sound is comming from the HDMI cable and the picture is just comming from a Composite cable into the reciever then our through the componant jacks into the componant of the TV? I have sometime and will be working on this for a little while tonight.. if anyone else has anymore ideas let me know! Cox in Hampton Roads Tech support said they really have not heard of this!! LOL.. Now if I take my receiver out of the equations and go HDMI From Cable box to HDMI into tV all is great except the sound comes from the TV but I want it through my surround sound. Doing it that way would also cause me to loose the HDMI for the DVD player as that goes to the receiver via HDMI as well..

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 121
Roger,

The HDMI 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 specs all require a hardware change. I'm quite confident that neither a firmware change nor a newer software version will ever solve this audio problem.

As you mentioned the HDMI directly to your display works fine in all cases, the trouble arises when any other HDMI device, doesn't have to be a receiver is daisy chained (even though the spec allows for this to be acceptable).

xvxvxvx

Username: Crobe18

Baton Rouge, LA USA

I am having sort of the same problem. I just purchased a new house, so I wanted to update my Home Theater as well. I purchased all new Klipsch speakers and a new Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV with the two HDMI in and one out. I hook up all the speakers, my dvd player, TV and Cox Motorola box. I turn it on and the dvd's sound great and look amazing so I figure no problem, the cox box will work fine, wrong. When I switch to watch cable it gives me a message "HD content not available. Switch to Component cables" and then a green screen appears. The crappy part is that I have full audio, but a green screen. Called Pioneer and they said that the HDMI has to be version 1.1, not 1.0. Now all new DVD players come with thie 1.1, but not the cox box apparently. I then called cox to schedule an oppointment, and of course the tech didn't show up. SO they cox phone rep told me to go into the advanced menu screen. You have to turn the box of and press the menu button twice and grey screen comes on telling you all your setings. I played with the menu for about 3 hours and still could not make it work. So I know thatit is a prolem with cox that they have no clue how to fix. I called Direct Tv today and all their equipment is HDMI version 1.1. If cox dosen't solve this problem quick I will be switching. Besides, satelite's HD is 2 times better than cox HD and the packages they have now are a lot cheaper. If anyone knows how to get rid of the green screen please give me an e-mail at crobe18@yahoo.com. Thanks

Username: Etalley

i have a cox motorola dvr and yamaha rx-v2600. problem is dolby 5.1 processing. on 2 hd channels (nbc and abc) the receiver idicates 5.1 in but only a faint subwoofer sound comes out. when i switch the avr to stereo mode i get sound. also, i notice that when a broadcast ends and another one begins, dolby digital begins/stops working at that instant. i've also changed from optic to coax but have same problem. cable box or avr problem?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 146
"cable box or avr problem?

Neither, your description sound perfectly normal.

xvxvxvx

Why's that?...and what might be the solution?
thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 149
It sounds normal because although the network may broadcast in DD 5.1 your local afilliate may be remixing the audio channels and you lose LFE if done incorrectly.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
when i say only a faint LFE is heard, i mean the only sound heard is a faint LFE. this weekend i'll try connecting 2 channel rca along with the digital...i've heard that the avr will look for analog/digital automatically (which is the setting), so i'll troubleshoot from there.

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 266
Here is the site where you can solve most of these issues.

http://cox.com/support/sandiego/digitalcable/dvr/default.asp

Username: Chipell

Hi,
I have a new Hitachi HDTV (55HDT79), an Onkyo receiver (TS-SR604)and a new Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-ES25).

I have the cable going to the Motorola 6412 III. I have the HDMI from the cable box going to the HDMI input one on the Onkyo. I have the HDMI output of the Panasonic DVD going to the HDMI input 2 of the onkyo, and I have the HDMI output of the onkyo going to the TV. Whew.

My question is this: Is there any way to take the audio/video from the cable box and also run it to the Panasonic DVDR? I tried hooking it up via the Svideo and it didn't see any channels. I took the Svideo out from the 6412 and ran it to the svideo in on the Panasonic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 245
Chip,

Your setup should work if you go into the Panny Recorder menu and select the proper input for the S-video you are sending to it. It is easier to just run a splitter from the coax cable out of the wall outlet and send data in that way. Then you are able to record channels without watching them at the same time.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sully8486

I have a question regarding the Cox HD Box. Does it currently support the DVI connection?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us