Archive through February 13, 2006

Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi cs-35401. I have audio and video, I have high voltage on CTR but the screen is blank. when I use video in, I also have audio but the screen is still blank. How can i fix this?

Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi rear projection 46 inch TV WS46807, 2001 model. Turned on. Screen started to light up, then died. Sound OK. Sort of like some fuse blew. I Know something about electronics, but have no service manual, know nothing about mitsubishi, and am afraid of a large unnecessary bill so want some ideas first.Any help?

Username: Scooby_nj

Newton, NJ US

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone I a hoping that maybe you can help me. I have a Mitsubishi Big Screen TV Vs-5006R. It seems that maybe the projector has moved from position as all I get when I turn it on is very wavey lines and no adjusting of the remote seems to make it stop. The kids were playing Dance Dance Revolution and it has done this ever since. Any ideas on how I can fix this. Could really use some help on this one

bron
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi 55" hdtv that I've had for about 6 years or so. The red bulb has gone out and I was wondering if anyone knew if they are hard to replace by myself or if it's a better idea to have it done by a professional? I just didn't want to throw away money for a pro to do it if all it takes is unscrewing the back panel and screwing in the bulb. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows what a replacement bulb would cost? Thanks for any help you can give!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 463
Tomas, HiramA, Shelly Allen and bron:

For help see Paul's post of September 26, 2005 on this thread.

Upload

Unregistered guest
Have WT46807 (a smaller version of WS 55807, the more popular 55 inch), about 4 years old. Suddenly lost raster (picture), but sound OK. Despite sarcasim from John S. (referencing Paul's thread "TV broken, get it fixed" etc.), upon research in this and other threads, found leaking capacitor in PnP was normally the problem. Lo and behold, found a leaking cap, which leaked over one of the small wire fuses. Read a number of threads about either replacing the caps or bypassing the PnP module, but it referred to other models (mostly VS****). Nothing specific in this model, though the principle is the same since the PnP leakage problem is the same. I have no service manual schematic for this model at present. And the module it has leaked on seems to be a bit more than a stand alone PnP module. I wonder how the whole thing comes out, or whether I could just bypass the PnP altogether from the top of the module without removing and repairing or replacing it. Anyone familiar with the WT46807/WS55807/WS65807 series and this problem, who could give me some practical tips? Apparently, the leaking caps in the PnP is a major Mitsubishi flaw causing loss of picture. (I saw one thread where someone is actually considering a class action lawsuit on this problem.)

Unregistered guest
bueno he visto que casi todos tienen el mismo problema pero ninguno ha mostrado alguna solucion
yo espero conseguir el diagrama de la wt-42313 y si encuetro alguna solucion o duda les volvere a escribir esta pronto

10/07/05

Unregistered guest
I have Mitsubishi Diamond 65 inch tv. the picture warps at the center,making it narrower then outter side of the picture. WHAT'S WRONG ?

Mitsubullshit
Unregistered guest
I just bought a WS-55515. It has a built-in HDTV tuner. We hooked it up and got all the local HD channels just fine. All of a sudden, a week later all of the HD channels disappear. I suspect something is wrong with the built-in tuner. I called tech support and he said it could be the tuner and referred me to call for service. I asked IF THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM AMONG THIS MODEL. He said 'no'.

Now of course i'm not gonna call service. If a TV needs service after one week of use, I don't want it. I'm thinking of returning it and buying a different brand. Anyone got any suggestions? After reading this thread, I'm never going with mitsubishi again. I don't care if I have to pay more for a better brand. As long as it will last for a while, I'll take it.

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 96
Mitsubullshit,

ANY product can need service after 1 week. There are going to be defective units /parts.

Read this post and maybe you'll feel better. At least you have a TV that IS working (minus the HD channels)https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

It took me 8 or 9 months to get a "working" tv.

Your problem is one reason I'd rather have an external tuner.

I've had 3 HD tuner's, the first dying after a few days which is weird because it was a display model (Most electronics dies in the first 30 days, if it survives the first 30 days it will have a normal service life, barring cold solders)

The second tuner which was brand-new dying in a day or so.

The third tuner continues to work.. Third times a charm I guess :-)

The most cost effective thing would be to have the set repaired, of course you probally "want" a "new" set I would think.

The problem with a new set will be by returning the TV that drives up costs to the mfg, which in turn causes them to raise prices.

If they CAN swap out the tuner, I'd try that first if you are happy with the set otherwise.

All brands are prone to "problems". Mit has been in the business for a while so I would think they do make good products overall.

They are selling MILLIONS of these sets so of course you are going to "run accross" threads in which people are having problems. The more they sell the more chances for problems to appear.

I feel for you, but I would give them a chance to repair it before saying you'll never buy another one of their products.

Read the above thread... It took me 8-9 months and about 100+ hours of my time or more to finally get a working TV.

BTW: I'm not a big fan of electronics that has everything "built-in".... One component dies and the whole thing has to go in for service.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Mitsubullshit,

One more thought... in alot of towns the HD stations will use the same transmitter... "Maybe" they are having "problems" on their end.

Mitsu green light click
Unregistered guest
For the people looking for service codes or other calibration instructions, check out this site:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html

I'm having the same green light click as others and found that site in my searching. From reading here is sounds like a coolant leak. Will call a service tech.

Here's another link I found on this board about the problem I am having.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=91557&messageid=1060376241

Eowynhope
Unregistered guest
I've read every post here and some of you guys post great info, thanks.

I do have a problem though, my tv is experiencing the "bow-tie" effect, where the (in my case) the red and green is off, and squezed in the middle. I plan on calling a serviceman to come and check it out, but they charge $50 to just come and look it. Any reason why this might happen?

Thanks
Eowynhope@aol.com
(Please email me if you can, I might not check back here for a while)

Eowynhope
Unregistered guest
I've read every post here and some of you guys post great info, thanks.

I do have a problem though, my tv is experiencing the "bow-tie" effect, where the (in my case) the red and green is off, and squezed in the middle. I plan on calling a serviceman to come and check it out, but they charge $50 to just come and look it. Any reason why this might happen?

Thanks
Eowynhope@aol.com
(Please email me if you can, I might not check back here for a while)

Anonymous

i have an mitsubishi 55" hdtv and i just bought an hd cable box but i dont see the hd port in the back of my tv any reasons why? help people

Username: Vmm2004

Need help with Mitsubishi 50" VS50803 Mfg Dt Jan 1999.

Blue is completely off in both HDTV mode and standard mode. I spend day in realigning it. Everything worked great. I turned TV on next day and blue is off again.

Any ides, What might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I am lookinig for some info. I have a Mitsubishi Big Screen TV (in a wooded case). I don't know the exact model or year. We actually found it a couple of years ago. It has a great picture. Someitmes we can get certain channels and sometimes those same channels are not available to view. However the channels that we do get all of the time are excellent. What may be the problem?

Username: Wattsyurz

I'm sure that some of us have electronics training before we'd dream of attempting repair, so why not give it a try? Why is it always "Pay the man?"

The reason for the failure is that it's planned. If the item lasts too long, no return customers. Why is it that the parts are not available? I see this strategy in new homes, too. After only a few years, the place is falling down. As of this date, the Maytag repairman is only on the hook for a year. No wonder he's fishing.

Anyways, YES. Be pissed. Their engineers timed your bad luck. They could build a tv to last 10 years and be infinitely serviceable. Buy another brand.

Unregistered guest
Have a 2-1/2 year old Mitsubishi WS-55511 that just went out on me. Looks like it has the same problem posted on this website. It won't even turn on so I'm guessing its the power supply board. I also had problems with the blue lamp converging. Has anyone gone after Mistubishi for a solution? I'm probably out at leat $600 for this repair!

Anonymous

Thank you HiramA and Dish Network! My 1996 Mitsubishi big screen projection TV has been to the repair shop twice in the last 2 months with the symptoms you describe and is still not working properly. I just called the service shop and read the info you provided about the PiP module to the tech who has been doing the repair work. Hopefully he'll be able to fix the problem for me now. Thank you again for the very useful information!

Unregistered guest
hello everyone, i have a mitsubishi hd1080, on the main screen i cant get a clear picture thru any of the inputs its blurry and grayish, but i can get a clear picture thru the PIP feature but i just cant seem to get it thru the main screen, does n e body here have any ideas on wut i can do?

Unregistered guest
My WS65807, when watching in the 4:3 ratio, has grey vertical bars on the left and right side that used to gradually change in size. The movement was inperceivable and I assumed this movement of the image was to prevent burn in. Unfortunately I did not notice when the movement stopped working. Now I have a pink cast the size of a 4:3 ratio picture. When watching in 16:9 or HD, I can see the very slight pink field in the background. I assume something quit working and that resulted in the burned in color cast. If I can get the movement working again I am hoping the color cast will not get worse.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Anonymous

Hi, I have Mitsubushi project TV model TS-4753 for 10 years already, it works fine until 2 month ago. it started has shaked screen in the first 5 min of the first power on everyday, and it becomes no screen (black screen) only audio last week. Can any expert tell me what sympton might be? And is that worthy to repair? Thanks the tips first.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Anonymous

Without wasting a bunch of time... The boards in the these (and ALL mass produced sets) are soldered by a process called wave soldering...

It does a ok job IF all the components to be soldered are of the same "size".... a smaller component needing LESS heat, a bigger one needing MORE heat to be properly soldered.

What happens is the large components don't get enough heat.. and then a bad solder pops up...

The fix, to re-solder.... works most of the time unless there is some type of backfeed that burns something out due to the bad solder.

Sounds like something in the HV power section...

Is it worth it to repair?

NO, more than likely if you have to PAY someone...
Maybe if you have some "time" and can find the bad solder yourself and redo it.

Hope the info had been of help to you.

Unregistered guest
we bought a tv and love it but the kids were playing with the remote and set the password and v-chip on pg now we can only watch pg rated and under shows. we have no idea what to do. everyone says they didnt do in and we have no idea what the password is. is there anyway to reset it or a mastercode please help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
RE: we bought a tv and love it but the kids were playing with the remote and set the password and v-chip on

1: list the model number
2: Info on reseting the V-chip should be in the owners manual
3: Most of time the manual can be downloaded for free from the mfg's website.

I have no idea if this is correct for your model TV, but have you tried unplugging the set overnight for example?

PS: Post back the "fix".

Desert Southwest TV lover
Unregistered guest
Mitsubushi TV lost remote channel 9 is "locked" how do I unlock it???

Anonymous

I have a Mitsubishi Video Scan System VS-403R. We bought it used and it worked fine for a couple of months. Now the sound works but there is no picture. We had a tech out and he said there are no parts for it, he did not look at for more than a minute or two. Before I trash it I want to know if there is anything I can do. If anyone knows anything please help. I also need to know the age of the TV.
Paul need not reply

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 495
You could get a second opinion, but it'll most likely be a waste of time and money. Mitsubishi always put stickers on the back indicating date of manufacture, so unless it has fallen off, it's on the back somewhere.

Parts availability is questionable on this TV.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=108096

Net Commando
Unregistered guest
I have a recently purchased WD-62628 DLP TV. I am very happy with the picture, but am having problems with the Net Command. I am unable to teach the TV the REW, FFWD, STOP and PLAY functions to my Scientific Atlanta 3800HD DVR. I've tried just about everything. Anyone else having this problem?

Anonymous

I have an old Mitsibushi model CK2694R. It has worhed great for many (?) years but now all of a sudden, no sound. Any ideas ? Can I hook up to a surround sound and have sound ?
Thanks

Misstique
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
Perhaps some of you might find some helpful
tips at this website link:
http://www.e-repair.co.uk/tips.htm

virginislander
Unregistered guest
My VS-45609 has failed for the second time. First time, leaking coolant from the projection tubes damaged large signal board. Mits replaced board free (set was one month past warranty) but I still paid the techie. Now, four years after purchase, the same problem. Board not available any more. Was offered great price on 55" set delivered (we are in the USVI where everything costs more) and will take it. Mits followed through and called w/progress reports. I have 50 yrs experience in electronics (heavy stuff) and wouldn't think of going into the board. TVs no longer are made up of simple components but use specialized IC's and parts. The "turn-off" mode is a protection function to avoid burning a spot in the tube phosphors. Down here, we replace PC's and TV's every three years due to salt. Every mfr has problems.

TV Turns Off
Unregistered guest
Good information on Mitsubishi repairs here: http://wa6ati.com/Mga-tip.html.

This stuff is pretty scary and foreign to most of us, but the reason we come to these boards is to share info so that we can do our own repairs (or save money in some other way). I respect TV repair professionals, but find that an average person with good info, patience, and the right tools can accomplish almost anything.

TV Turns Off
Unregistered guest
Anyone interested in or know of a Mitsubishi parts exchange? It sounds like a lot of folks here are going to ditch their sets and buy new, but since we have different problems, we could be sharing/selling parts.

The first step would be to begin properly identifying problems and connecting part numbers to model numbers.

Unregistered guest
Need help changing video format to full screen when using new CABLE/HD/DVR (Motorola BMC9012) with a 3yr. old Mitsu WS-55859. Adelphia says that only a few HD channels use a full screen video input. I have to switch back to ANT-A to watch almost all cable channels so that the side bars don't burn into screen. If my HDTV is to old, is there any software upgrade? Obviously, I am not an AV tech guy, but would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 508
Doesn't your TV have some sort of stretch mode on your other input?

ALL HD broadcasts use full screen and should not seed any sort of stretch mode, but 4:3 standard def broadcasts do.

Anonymous

Just moved 1500 miles and my 55" HD will not turn on--no power at all. Even the cable people had no suggestions. Anyone help me--please?

Prisiclla
Unregistered guest
My mitsubishi screen t.v. high definition is on a red light that says light above it don't know how to fix it please help.

Prisiclla
Unregistered guest
My mitsubishi screen t.v. high definition is on a red light that says light above it don't know how to fix it please help.

Unregistered guest
Have a 45607 and basically, after reading ALL these notes, am not going to waste anymore of MY life on this piece of crap. Give Paul a break, at least he has a hobbie! If you are that angry with him, you are either incredibly stupid - or you work for Mitsubishi. By the way, some of the spelling I've seen is atrocious. Forget a TV, buy a fricking dictionary.

Unregistered guest
p.s. I just went back to Mitsubishi.com again and they are very Shultz from Hogan's Heores about the 45607. They "know nozhink."
You carry that torch Paul!
I just bought a new Dell XPS with an awesome screen and sound system. I'd rather have 19 inches that do it right, than 52 inches that do nothing!
Sock it to me SUCKA!

Unregistered guest
Could you tell me what to do ( if any)...My Mitsubishi VS 607 (Manufactured in 1994) and a red tent to the screen. I tried adjusting the color scale, but no luck. Do I need to demagetize it or something...I am really trying to keep it. So if you can help it would be great.

Unregistered guest
My model does the same thing and it won't turn on.I have had it with this set. It also seems that they have a manufacturing problem from all the posts that are available. I think I will buy new. But it won't be a Mitsubishi for sure!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi big screen about 5 years old and it is on ext1 and wants a four didgit code no one seems to know the code has anyone had this problem and if so what can be done!!

Unregistered guest
My 20 inch Mitsubishi colour TV was purchased in 1995. If I keep volume in Very low with my REMOTE then I can heard very little sound. But if I try to increase volume with REMOTE then my TV become totally soundless. Is it (IF)(Intermediate Frequency)problem? Thanks

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 518
Khaled, can you adjust volume via the control on the TV itself?

Unregistered guest
I have Mitsubishi TV CT-330B3ES and my problam is that I can not change only chanal. Of every program still same chanal-Icannot change . Pleas halp my.

Unregistered guest
Hallo I have TV Mitsubishi CT-33B3ES and the problem is if I change program I can but if I have to change the channel I can't do it. The number is always the same. For ex. I enter MENU and I can change program, PAL or SECAM, and when I can change the cannel or band CH or S the TV can't resave this information and the number is always the same.

Unregistered guest
hi i have a mitsubishi vs-4552 the problem is that there is burned spot in the center of the screen but if i change the channel the picture is perfect for a couple of seconds if any body has any info or tips please reply.

Username: Hymrod

I have a #46 Inch HDTV Misubishi Diamond something or other. I got it in 2000. It has mad low hours - and just last night- poof- I turn it on and fuzzy, colored snow on every input from my HDTV tuner to rabbit ears. The MENU graphics etc work but are kind of fuzzy, as are the TV INFO # and letters etc. I got it at Sound Advice brand new 5 years ago, of course warranty ended 3 months ago....Any suggestions ? I tried resetting everything - DVD plays the same colored snow crap but the pictures change based on input. In other words everything else works.
:-(

Unregistered guest
can anyone help me out here? i recently got a mitsubishi CS-3803 from my girlfriend's parents, that they were going to throw out, because the sound doesn't work. i'm wondering if it is something that i can fix myself, have serviced, or if i should just throw it out. i have no idea how old it is, i have no manual and no remote for it. however, the picture is fine, all channels come in clear, there is just "zero" sound. if i unplug the cable from it, i can hear some slight static from the snow on the screen, otherwise, nothing. i figuered that if it was blown speakers, i would hear crackling. if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, i'd be greatly appreciative. i realize that the television isn't anything amazing, but it is a nice upgrade from my old junk, and i'd like to get it to work at an affordable price.

thank you.

HiramA
Unregistered guest
Mits WT46807 (46" version of WS55807 rear projection). Sound OK. No raster or picture. No OSD. Error code self-diagnostic microprocessor doesn't work either. No filaments to picture tubes (light box). Horiz. output transistor tested OK.
Seems like a HV failure. Failure of power to the self-diagnostic microprocessor might provide some additional clues of where power failure is. Because you have to disconnect chassis from CRT light box (and other items in cabinet) to take out chassis and reach parts underneath the boards, one cannot power up TV to trace power voltages.
Repair would be $500+ for labor. A new Philips or Toshiba 51 in. was recently going for $800. So only worth it for self-repair.
And a catastrophic HV failure is usually the easiest to find (if only I could power it on). Parts are not expensive if a whole board doesn't need repair, which is unlikely when a stressed HV power supply part fails, and even the horz. output transistor (the most expensive transistor) is only $14.
Anyone else had this problem with this or similar models?

VicktoriaS
Unregistered guest
I have a 5 year old Mitsublishi 55" TV. Today it looks to have a convergence problem because it shows shadows of red, green, and blue. When I go into the advance convergence feature to try to line up the blue and red lines, it does nothing. The plus sign doesn't adjust at all. Any advice on fixing it or is it time to throw down a few thousand again?

Username: Ws55511

Hampstead, MD

Post Number: 2
VicktoriaS I have your solution (well maybe). I have a MITS 55511 about 3 years old. My 1st failure was same as yours. The convergence board was replaced for $600 (choke) turns out the $25 driver was bad. This is the large hybrid IC on the converter board heat sink. 8 months later I had the other most common MITS failure where the TV turns off by itself. $400 later I found out it was the same IC (draws too much current and TV goes into protect mode). Seems the MITS have a heat problem (design defect) with this IC. The repairman said i should mount a small fan inside the TV to cool the IC. It is not really very hard to replace if you have some electrical experience. I will do it my self NEXT TIME. Good luck.

terps
Unregistered guest
QV9 for Input lock on an old Misubishi!!!! You saved an 12 year old's birthday party. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
RE: mitsubishi CS-3803- sound doesn't work. picture is fine, all channels come in clear, there is just "zero" sound.

i'd like to get it to work at an affordable price.

Nik M,

Tune the set thru VCR.. run sound thru a cheap amp.

You could also try pulling the audio board and inspecting it for cold solders, etc.

sbvice04-05
Unregistered guest
I have an HD 1080 diamond series televison, and I heard that playing video games on it ruins it. is this true?

Username: Two_dawgs

I have a 60 inch Mitsi, the VS series that went out exactly 4 years to the month. Same problem as I have seen on this board: Won't power on, the green light comes on and the tv shuts down. Repair man said the tubes leaked on the circuit board and one of the parts is no longer available. Dealer told me that Mitsubishi has been giving a credit of $800 toward the purchase of another Mitsubishi TV. I reported my problem and Mitsubishi only offered me a credit of $500. I protested and they told me over and over again that "each case is evaluated on it's own merit and the amount of the credit is based on each individual case". I cited a specific incident of another person in my home town who had the same VS series, the same exact same problem, and his television was exactly the same age as mine when the problem started. I gave Mitsubishi the case number to verify what I was saying. This person got a credit of $800. Mitsubish gave me the same reply of each case is different. When I called back to escalate the issue a supervisor, I guess came on the line and gave me the same company line. He then told me that they had located the part (imagine that!) and I could take the $500 credit or they would send the part to the repairman to fix the television, at MY expense of course.
In my opinion, this is a widespread problem. Mitsubishi is trying to cut their losses by arbitrailary dropping thier credit by $300. I don't for one minute believe that Mitsubishi located the part in question. They are bluffing!!!
I tried to deal with Mitsubishi in good faith. Mitsubishi is trying to "stick it" to their customers. If anyone wants to pursue a class action law suit, please count me in and contact me.
Thanks,
A disgruntled Mitsubshi customer.
Andy Paterson
Valdosta, Ga
229-247-9430

Unregistered guest
Have an old Mitsi rear proj model vs4002ca.
Can't get into EXT-2 because of a password. It's been awhile and I don't remember it. Is there anyway to reset it so that I can use Ext-2 again?
Any help appreciated.

mkenney1250
Unregistered guest
I have a 60" vs-683R it dosent turn on i was told that it needs a new power supply i wanted to know were to get one if posible. thanks

Username: Lashell7428

I have a mitsubishi HDTV 1080 and my problem is much different from many of you. I agree that calling a service man is something I may eventually have to do but i'd like to see if it's a simple problem with a simple solution first..my tv constantly blinks. It does not turn on or off or anything like that, it just blinks. This is the second mitsubishi tv that has done this to me. I thought mitsubishi was a pretty good brand, that is why I went with it again but now I am starting to wonder. is their anything I can do about this blinking problem??

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubshi Model VS50803 Diamond Series. This is one of the earliest HD ready tv's. I recently switched back to Comcast for HD cabability, but found out that I am receiving Enhanced Definition without using a special BNC connector panel on the back of the TV. I have the BNC connector adaptors and am ready to hookup a special five RCA plug(on each end) to the Comacast Motorola 6412 HD DVR reciever. Could anyone please give me the schematic from the TV to the Comcast Motorola 6412. They are color coded so use colors if you are familiar with this procedure. Second, once I hook the cable up correctly,do I need to cahnge any setting on the TV itself?

Thank you

Unregistered guest
I have a vs6047 built sept 1996. The red colors are out of line and can't align the red. Blue works fine. Any idea what my problem could be? Is this something I can take care of myself??thanks

Unregistered guest
I've read through the posts in this thread and a few others about people and their bad experiences with servicers. Having been in the consumer electronics service business for 35+ years, I continue to be amazed at the number of servicers with questionable qualifications. At the same time, I must say that the expectations of some consumers are not very realistic. A few pieces of advice from someone who has seen alot in 35 years...
#1 NO manufacturer builds a QUALITY television set any more. Consumers have been so price conscious, that the manufacturers only care about building something "for a price" and long ago abandoned the "quality thing". It used to be that you could buy a television and expect to get 10-15 years of service out it with maybe a repair or two in that time frame. If you buy anything nowadays, expect 3-5 years MAXIMUM service. I never used to advise buying a service contract, but on some high-ticket items, it may not be a bad idea for some consumers.
#2 Many of the more common failures (such as convergence problems in projection TV's) can be repaired by someone with a little bit of basic electronics knowledge and the ability to solder. Having said that, let me add that a little bit of knowledge can be a terrible thing! Perhaps 95% of the time, there are no complications and everything goes ok. It's the 5% that can be a killer! A simple mistake can lead to catastrophic failures, such as CRT phosphor damage or circuit board breakage, both of which render the television not economical to repair. Simple alignments sometimes require special computer programs and notebook computers with special software provided by the manufacturer. Even if you don't need special equipment to make adjustments, inexperienced users can make things so bad that no servicer would be willing to try and undo what has been done.
#3 A qualified electronics servicer is hard to find! Remember that these guys are in business to make a living and most are not keen on giving away their knowledge for free. A professional servicer has invested a lot of time and money into training, equipment and service aids (including schematics diagrams) and is usually not keen on giving it away to whoever calls or walks in the door. Still, a good servicer should be upfront with his customers and be willing to discuss options to solve the customers' problems. Though not always the case, "factory authorized" servicers are usually better than those who are not. If you encounter an arrogant serviceman with an attitude, say goodbye and find another.
#4 Avoid the guys who advertise FREE estimates or rock bottom service call prices. These guys are almost always the least qualified and will usually jack up the parts prices to make up the difference for their losses. It may actually cost you more than a servicer who charges a fair price for parts and labor. Don't be so hard on the guy who charges a FAIR price for his work, as I said earlier, it is his livelihood!
#5 Try to find a servicer who will fix the product in your home. They are getting more and more rare these days, but many servicers make up for their lack of experience by picking up the set and transporting to their shop. Besides costing you more, they also risk physical damage to the cabinet and screen. Many problems, including CRT replacement can be done in the home. Also, a good technician will always try to repair your product down to the individual component level. There are exceptions, but most common problems do not require the replacement of a complete board or module. Complete boards and modules are expensive and are usually no longer available after a few years.

If after all of this, you feel you want to tackle a problem with your TV, you should be able to get some help from forums like this one. I am semi-retired and am more than willing to give you some free advice if you email me directly. Good luck to all!!!

Victortech
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi VS-45609, manufactured April 2001.

Yellow and Blue shadows appear in the picture. Iti½s very noticeable when youi½re watching a black and white movie.

Before replacing the STK393-110 convergence, the problem would appear after 5 minutes the tv was turned on. After I replaced the convergence, the problem now appears after 20-30 minutes. This is not an intermittent condition, the problem stays there after iti½s warmed up.

Before I replaced the convergence, I checked the resistors and caps (with an ESR meter) around the convergence area and they all seemed ok.

I have not gotten a schematic for this tv yet. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this set that could give me an area to look at.

Thanks for any responses.

Unregistered guest
i am looking for the power circuit board 935C74501 for my vs-50501a 50 inch projection tv.

If you take the back cover off and slide out the chassis, its the board on the right. actually the picture and performance were superb since 1998. Someone may have a running set they are scrapping, if so contact me please.

thanks,

paul

Cape Cod
Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi 65" rear projection model WS65611 purchased Jan. '03 developed a video problem yesterday after almost 3 years of flawless performance. When the TV is first turned on, it is either fine for 5 minutes and then displays "flickering red and green snow" or starts out with the snow and gradually displays flashes of the picture until is is clear (which may take more than 1/2 hour). This is true when using cable TV or the DVD. There is no audio problem. It is not the cable, as two other TVs in the house are fine. When selecting "menu" from the remote, the menu appears in the center of the screen and a clear picture appears behind it, but when "home" or "cancel" is selected, the picture reverts to the snow. Suggestions?

Joey466
Unregistered guest
Paul, Paul Paul.
You are cool.

Bob pod
Unregistered guest
I have a Mits VS 50803 rear projection HD TV I need to switch to 1080i. Ive been told this is done by accessing a service port thru a code entered into the remote.Does anyone know how to do this?

OK Guys - I have called and raised with Sound Advice and Mistsubishi.

I had the 46" that picture went out. Sound ADvice sounds a schlep out- he puts a PAPER TOWEL on the circuit board in my tv- to stop the "leaking oil" from damaging anything further. This lasted for all of 24 hrs. I must also mention he decieided to do me a favor and adjust convergence? settings I would never touch- for the 24 hrs my crystal direcTV had pic was GARBAAGE and ruined by the repair guy [ even the DirecTV menu was fuzzy].

I called them back to come fix it again. They missed the appointment. Another week. The same guy comes out- he says ?It stopped working?? as if I wanted him there socially. He then proceeds to try and get me to buy a new TV- and wont back down at first- using high pressure sales tricks to get me to NOT have him take out the chassis and return to base for repair. Then he threatens me with a $5-600 repair bill. I call his bluff. We are on Week 2 now without a word except a 400 dollar charget to my credit card...........

Stay Tuned for more updates and yes I might be interested in a a CAL. Class Action Lawsuit.

Pe@ce,

Jamie

Unregistered guest
WD62525.
1) When I select the "Device" on the Mits remote control, there is NO Device Selection menu display, AND after a few seconds the TV turns off, with the Power/Timer green light blinking.
The Troubleshoot secion of O.M. says "The IEEE 1394 device does not provide a menu" - can anyone help me with understanding that statement?

Glaregirl
Unregistered guest
We own a HD1080 purchased in 2002. Our problem is "glare" on the screen. I've heard from a couple of people that its has a protective screen cover on it that can be removed. The manual calls it "Diamond Shield"TM but dosen't tell how to remove the sheild. Does anyone know if this is true and if so how do you remove it.

Unregistered guest
I have a CS-27MX1 Mitsubishi TV (it's about 15yrs old. Now it just started having color challanges, I have "color Spots" purple-top right and bottom left, Green-middle, and blue bottom right and top left. The colors on the screen just seem to blend together. Anyone have-had the same problem and or solution??

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A HD1080 WHICH I PURCHASE IN 2000. MY PROBLEM IS JUST RECENTLY THE PICTURE COLOUR NEEDS TO BE ALIGHN,AND THE PICTURE ON THE SCREEN IH SEMI CIRCLE (CONVEX)AND I AM LOOKING FOR A USERS MANUL I AM TRYING TO HOOK UP SURROUND SOUND IF THERE IS ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP ME

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A HD1080 WHICH I PURCHASE IN 2000. MY PROBLEM IS JUST RECENTLY THE PICTURE COLOUR NEEDS TO BE ALIGHN,AND THE PICTURE ON THE SCREEN IH SEMI CIRCLE (CONVEX)AND I AM LOOKING FOR A USERS MANUL I AM TRYING TO HOOK UP SURROUND SOUND IF THERE IS ANY ONE WHO CAN HELP ME

Unregistered guest

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 595
KyleS,
There seems to be some knowledgeable owners over on Mitsubishi WD 62725

Username: Diyann

I have a 55807 with an interesting problem. I can recieve hd and 480 programming no problem through my Cablevision explorer 4200hd cable box but when I try to watch tv straight from cable connection in wall or use TIVo, no picture only sound. Any ideas. I discovered this problem when I tried to hook up TIVO.
Thank you

Unregistered guest
I noticed your post and am looking for some help. My 5 year old (1 month out of the extended warranty) 65" Mitsubishi rear projection TV (model #WS-65857) is powering itself off after a few seconds due to the apparent common problem of one of the tubes leaking onto the signal board. I paid an authorized service tech $135 to diagnose the problem. The signal board replacement is not available, however after speaking with Mits, they said they could probably find one if I was willing to give them my credit card number for an $800 charge. We paid $5,600 for this monster plus the worthless $350 extended warranty. The TV was only used for about 3 ½ years due to my husband being away in Iraq, so I am hugely disappointed in the lack of reliability and hope that buyers can be better informed before buying Mitsubishi. My question is: Are there other inherent problems with these TV's? I can't decide if I should throw away another $800 only to have to replace the TV soon anyway. Also, I am searching for someone who may be able to repair or replace the board for a reasonable cost. Can you tell me where the signal board is located in the TV, so I can try to get some numbers off of it?

Unregistered guest
I have a mitsubishi WS-6551 TV for leaa than 3 years.. my remote control stopped working. I took the remote control to a store and it works on the TV there... so the problem must be in the TV.. I can only use the control button on the front panel to switch channel only,,, can't adjust volume, can't switch to other input components .. any idea what the problem is ..

Unregistered guest
I have a late-90's 45" Mitsubishi TV. I can't get to the back of it to see the model #, and the owner's guide is for 13 different models, so I don't know the specific model.

The problem is that the colors keep separating. A light 'bang' will fix it for a while and then it will happen again. In between, the picture is still great.

It's becoming more frequent, so we definitely need to do something soon.

My question is, does this sound like a reparable problem?

I'd much rather spend a few hundred dollars to fix it than a few thousand to replace it - especially since we have a custom-made cabinet for it and it would be hard to find a decent-sized replacement to fit now that everything is widescreen.

However, I also don't want to spend hundreds only to be told it can't be fixed.

Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi 65inch, widescreen, HD1080 BOWTIE problem and how I got it repaired. I bought my tv about 3 1/2 years ago and it has worked great. I got it through BestBuy and got the 3yr extended warranty. Well, my tv started to go BOWTIE after a few minutes of being on. It would happen every so often then more and more. Yeah, I'd tap the middle back right side and it would come back for awhile, then that started not to work. So, I went on a few of these blogs and saw pretty much everyone had the same problem. I enjoy this tv and decided to have a few repairmen come out and take a look. I live in Riverside CA area and the first guy that came out to my house ($20.00 to come out) was an independant tv repairman who had buy my impression never saw this problem. So I showed him these blogs and he read them and opened up the lower back of the tv where the boards are located. He tapped around on the boards and he had me watch the tv as it was on to see if the BOWTIE would move and it did. So, I was expecting for him to say he needed to get some parts for the board like prior blogs indicated, but instead, he said he was gonna pull out the boeard and resolder the whole thing which he did in an hour on my living room floor (he also cleand my projection screen). Once installed, he turned it on and it worked great! He mentioned that yeah, some of the solders were weak and told me if it ever broke again, he'd fix it for free, but he said with confidence that it will last for many years to come. Also said not to put my surround sound woolfer speaker right up against the bottom of the tv which probably helped the problem on. He charged me $140.00 (that's including the charge for coming out to my house) and it has been over 7 months since he has been here. I woke up today and realized I needed to thank this blog and reply, so I wrote this hoping it will help someone else. Oh yeah, this repairman said most of his repairs were plasma flatscreens.
Brian from Corona, CA

Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi 65inch, widescreen, HD1080 BOWTIE problem and how I got it repaired. I bought my tv about 3 1/2 years ago and it has worked great. I got it through BestBuy and got the 3yr extended warranty. Well, my tv started to go BOWTIE after a few minutes of being on. It would happen every so often then more and more. Yeah, I'd tap the middle back right side and it would come back for awhile, then that started not to work. So, I went on a few of these blogs and saw pretty much everyone had the same problem. I enjoy this tv and decided to have a few repairmen come out and take a look. I live in Riverside CA area and the first guy that came out to my house ($20.00 to come out) was an independant tv repairman who had buy my impression never saw this problem. So I showed him these blogs and he read them and opened up the lower back of the tv where the boards are located. He tapped around on the boards and he had me watch the tv as it was on to see if the BOWTIE would move and it did. So, I was expecting for him to say he needed to get some parts for the board like prior blogs indicated, but instead, he said he was gonna pull out the boeard and resolder the whole thing which he did in an hour on my living room floor (he also cleand my projection screen). Once installed, he turned it on and it worked great! He mentioned that yeah, some of the solders were weak and told me if it ever broke again, he'd fix it for free, but he said with confidence that it will last for many years to come. Also said not to put my surround sound woolfer speaker right up against the bottom of the tv which probably helped the problem on. He charged me $140.00 (that's including the charge for coming out to my house) and it has been over 7 months since he has been here. I woke up today and realized I needed to thank this blog and reply, so I wrote this hoping it will help someone else. Oh yeah, this repairman said most of his repairs were plasma flatscreens.
Brian from Corona, CA
PS BESTBUY DID NOT HONOR THEIR EXTENDED PLAN.

Unregistered guest
Brian from Corona, CA
PS BESTBUY DID NOT HONOR THEIR EXTENDED PLAN AND SHOULD HAVE CAUSE I CALLED THEM ON IN WITHIN THE 3YR CONTRACT.

Username: Wcc2

Seattle, WA USA

After a lot of shopping I got a Mits WD62-725 DLP. Only problem has been gradual accumulation of vague dark spots especially well seen on blue screen. Ends up it is dust getting on the smaller mirror inside the set. After taking front off and cleaning it was OK. I fear this will be a recurring problem since all DLP TVs have a fan blowing to cool off the bulb. Anybody else notice this?

Username: Wcc2

Seattle, WA USA

Hey, Paul...why do you say in one of your posts,"And your assumption is correct because buying a DLP was a big mistake."

Plasma looses 50% brighteness after 5 or so years, LCD is awful on blacks and fast action. So why do you say DLP is bad?

Anonymous

The shield snaps off. Use a credit card and pry it off at the edges. The glare went away when I removed the shield.

Unregistered guest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 65 inch ws-65807 Mitsubishi is about three years old and has always had a great picture. Recently, the wide screen converges to some degree in the center. In other words, the top of the screen drops down in the center forming an arc from one side of the screen to the other. The bottom of the screen pulls up from the center forming an arc from one side to the other. The center of the screen seems to remain undistorted. After a few hours of operation, the screen will usually return to normal,but now does not.Any idea what is causing this?

Unregistered guest
Anyone with any kind of convergence alignment problems should take a look here: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/143561.html

Post Number: 3
Well Its me again. 46" Table Top that went out...........They dropped it off, good as new. $500 all in all I believe. The convergence settings were set again by the guy, this time they worked. Better then buying a new one. Im sure the repair wasnt worth $500- but then again they wanted that much for 1 year of a warranty so 6 of one half dozen of another......Good luck and thanks.

Pe@ce,

HymroD@aol.com

Unregistered guest
I've been following this thread with interest. Our Mitsubishi 42" HD rear-projection TV has had on-off switch problems since we bought it in 2004. Last year the five-year extended warranty kicked in just as the switch problems were getting so bad we couldn't get the TV to stay on for more than a few seconds. From October 22 to now (late January 2006), we've had the main board, the color convergence board , the blue picture tube,and the signal board replaced. (The color convergence and picture tube problems were separate from the on-off issue.) Replacing the main board did not help the problem. The signal board is the latest replacement; the set has been back in our house for three days with no problems yet. If the set stays fixed for awhile (longer than a few months), I will post that information in hopes it helps others zero in on what might be a reliable fix for this problem.

Unregistered guest
I had a Mitsubishi WS-55907 projection TV for 5 years. Starting two weeks ago, the picture turn distorted for 6 seconds with green shadow each time I switched channel. Tonight, it shut off itself and can not turn back on(green light turned on for 3 secons and then turned off).

Can somebody tell me what might be the problem and approximate cost I am facing?

Thanks a lot

Unregistered guest
i have a 60 inch mitsubishi hd tv it was working fine yesterday until last night now the picture keeps moving side to side i put in a dvd it does the same i read most of the comments here did any one ever find a repair manual if so e mail me i can probably fix it myself or if any info on how to do it please help the set is about 5 to 6 years old

Unregistered guest
I bought a Mitsubishi VS-50605 and it is now 6 years old. About 4 months ago when we turned it on it turned on fine but there were horizontal lines in the picture like the reception wasn't the best, and after it warmed up for a couple minutes it was no longer noticable. Now 4 months later, it has been getting progressivly worse. Now the horizontal lines are there continuously on the screen...It has gotten to the point where if we want to watch the news in the morning we have to leave the TV on overnight so it is clear enough to watch it.

Any help out there would be appreciated... whether it is what may be wrong or how much it will be to fix it more than likely... (to cheap to call repair man for right now)
Thanks fuzzyscreen

Unregistered guest
Here's an update: the set came back on Tuesday, and worked fine for four days before the same problem returned: i.e the set turned itself off and won't turn back on.

Next step, I understand, is to call the company that holds the extended warranty (as opposed to the service company that has been trying to fix it for four months) and demand a replacement TV. I will keep everyone posted.

RW
Unregistered guest
I HAVE A MODEL VS5041 AND WHEN I ATTEMPT TO TURN THE UNIT ON THE RELAY CLICKS BUT IT WILL NOT TURN ON. CAN ANYONE HELP ME.

THANKS

roseybob
Unregistered guest
I have a 52 inch dlp mit that we have had 1 year.
My son was over and enlarged the piture to fill the whole screen and now I cannot get my picture back to normal. And yes I have tried to use the format button to "unstrech" the picture but does not work. any suggestions on how to get the picture to normal.

Anonymous

I bought a WS65711 in 2003. A couple weeks ago it would not power on. Tried unplugging and waiting til blinking green light goes out and tried again. Nothin. Called a service guy out. He found no 12 volt standby supply. So it sounded like a supply issue. They ordered a replacement supply board. Second service dude came out, replaced board and bada boom bada bing... nothin. So the guy goes around front and holds two outside buttons down (power and device I think) to put in service mode. Poof, powered up. So the guy speculates it is the system control board that was in a state in which it would not turn the supplies on (he says the controller makes the decision to turn most the dc supplies on). So he charges me $270 for the brilliance and says if I have anymore problems, they'll order the system controller board and come out and replace. Today, my son calls me and says the TV won't turn off. Gee, I think Mitsuckbishi has lost a customer considering all the power related problems on this board.

Username: Grantford

I have a mitsubishi medallion ws-73411, every day i turn it on and its great but i turn the channel sometimes and it goes to black and white if i turn my playstation on and switch it to game it goes to black and white. i have to turn it off for about 10 mins, turn it back on its fine. but it does it everyday, is it a tuner problem? sometimes the green light flashes too. please help me!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us