To HDTV or not to HDTV

Username: Arthouse

Post Number: 1
I haven't bought a tv in 20 years so all these discussions are new to me--please be patient! I live in a rural area of Vermont that doesn't have cable or particularly good reception; nor am i interested in getting satelite. So basically I'm using rabbit ears. My chief interest is in getting a nice tv to watch movies on. I'm limited by space to a max of 34" screen and I want to get a CRT (I have plenty of depth space). My question is this: given that i don't have access to HDTV or great reception, is there any advantage to getting an HDTV/digital television in terms of watching DVDs? Will DVDs look better on a high-end monitor or not? (I understand that television stations are supposed to go to HDTV down the road, etc.) Specifically, would a tv like the Sony 34XBR960 be entirely overkill in my situation, or would DVDs look better on it than on, say a Sony KV-34HS420 or a Toshiba 34HF85, both cheaper and still HDTV compatible... (While I'm at it, a minor question: can I still use my interior antenna with these new fancy tvs?)
thanks a lot...

Bob Germain
Unregistered guest
the 34xbr960 is the best. your interior antenna will work as there is no such thing as an hdtv antenna. however, to get free hi def over the air, most broadcast in the uhf. you may need an antenna that is uhf only for best reception. i paid 50 bucks for mine on the net and get pbs, abc, nbc, cbs in hi def (during the day its not hi def but looks good since its still a digital broadcast) btw, dvds look awesome on this set

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2042
If you have a good quality progressive scan DVD player, they will definitely look better. If the player isn't progressive, there will be very little, if any difference.

Post Number: 2
Thanks to both of you. I do have a progressive scan player (yamaha), so it sounds like it's worth getting the best monitor i can afford. Now, any advice on convincing the spouse? ...

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Well if you have to convince your spouse that, after 20 years, you're due for another set, maybe you should also get another spouse while you're at it. Unless of course, she will be paying for it,

Post Number: 3
She's put up with a number of my follies, including my big speakers (magnepan). She's just more frugal than I am (sensible) and not as interested in av stuff--or movies for that matter. Neil Young once explained that his song "Long may you run" was about his first car and last girlfriend, and I'd say the same about my wife--but not our old tv.

Anonymous

Be prepared to be disappointed in non hd programming when viewing on an hd set. Under your circumstances I don!t think an hd set is a good choice.

Post Number: 4
Anonymous, can you explain why? I understand that I won't get hd reception. 1) is there any reason to think that regular programs will look any worse on a high-end HD-CRT than on my current 20" tv? and 2) are you suggesting that for watching dvds a non-hd set is just as good? or, hd aside, what would be the best (16:9?) set for watching dvds (and regular programs)? thanks to all (and more questions to come...)

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2079
For watching DVDs, HD and progressive is considerably better. For watching regular TV programs in SD, it will probably look worse. HD TVs have a higher quality tube that will show the flaws in SD programming more than an analog TV. If you get an HDTV with a built in tuner and are able to receive HD channels, they will look far bettetr.

FrozenWinooski
Unregistered guest
Hello, I am actually in Vermont as well. I just bought a HDTV last weekend and am both slightly dissapointed and thrilled at the same time. I absolutely agree with others who say that regular TV channels do not look nearly as good as on an old fashioned set. I considered returning my new set, however DVD's look great and the HD stations, which are very few even in Burlington, are magnificent! All in all, in a few years this question will be a no brainer but right now I'm still on the fence on the issue even though I just bought one. Basically it comes down to whatever mood strikes you in the store! Good luck on your purchase and enjoy this warm Vermont winter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us