Is my LCD TV broken, normal, or just plain bad?

Username: Lookcloser

Post Number: 1
This is my first LCD TV, and it's driving me insane. Please bare me with, and please, I beg of you, help me. :-)

I was looking for a 15 inch LCD for my kitchen, and I decided on the Philips 15PF5120/28 (sometimes called 15PF5120). It is the perfect size (with speakers on the bottom) and also happens to be HD-ready. Perfect!

It finally came yesterday, and the picture quality is... fuzzy. Everything sort of has this fuzz around it. A combination of fuzzy and grainy is the best way I can describe it.

For the record, this is without being connected to an HD cable box. I didn't get it yet, so all I tested the TV with is regular digital cable (using RCA cables) and a DVD player (using component cables).

The picture quality each time remains fuzzy and grainy. Being completely new to LCD, I have no idea if this is normal or not. Maybe the quality is so improved over my old CRT TV that I can see the "bad" more clearly?

I figured this could MAYBE make sense with the digital cable, but not with a DVD, right? My CRT TV plays a DVD with a much clearer picture than this LCD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but under no circumstances should this (or any) brand new LCD TV play a DVD with any kind of fuzzy picture, right?

Is this specific TV just... broken? Is there just something wrong with it? Or maybe it's all models of this TV that has this quality? Or... it's normal? I can't see how, but I'm too much of a newbie to know for sure.

Can someone please help me out here. I've been reading every forum/site that exists all day. I need to know if this is just how a 15 inch LCD should be, if it's a fluke and I should just exchange it for another of the same model, or if I should start looking for a different TV altogether.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tho
Unregistered guest
If the poor picture hapens when playing DVD movies then there is a real problem with the TV assuming no issue with the DVD and component cables. HDTV outperforms CRT when playing DVDs. About cable (both regular and digital) or Satellite, I am not surprised at all at fuzzy and rainy pictures. SD (Standard Broacast) looks way better in CRT than HDTV, particularly at close range. HDTV is only good at HD broadcast and DVD.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 392
Get yourself a copy of digitial video essentials or Avia calibration DVD disks. Pay particular attnetion to the sharpenss and contrast settings. If you have not performed these steps then its really hard to tell if there is a true problem or not.

Username: Ehdmi

Post Number: 6
Watching the DVD's and still having the severe grainy/fuzzy is a problem..It;s very normal to not have the best picture on normal TV stations not broadcasting HD. It cold be your RCA cables. You may want to try to upgrade to DVI or HDMI cables.

Hope this helps some.

Keith
Http://www.eHDMI.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us