Please Help!!! I want to attach my VCR to my HD TV, But it won't work!!!

Username: Darkangel452

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new to all this I don't really use forums, but I don't know who else to ask. I want to attach my VCR to my new HD TV. . . I bought a standard SCART LEAD but when I connected it, it played for a minute then a blue screen came up saying 'SCART NO SIGNAL'. I tried then adding the 'COMPONENT VIDEO LEAD' to the VCR and the HD TV, but the same thing happened blue screen came up saying 'AV NO SIGNAL'. I've tried everything the manual said. I even bought a new VCR because the person in the shop I got the HD TV from said my VCR was too old. But it wasn't that I have brand new VCR and it just won't work. I'm completely at a loss and I don't know where else to turn for help. I'm a first time HD TV person and I've never had so many problems adding things to it. I don't know if this makes any difference but I don't have the aerial attached to it because the TV is in my bedroom and all I use it for is to watch videos and DVDs. No TV channels. I use my VCR all the time and would hate not to be able to use it. What do I need cable wise for my VCR to work? I hope so much that you can help?

Thank you
-Danny

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4236
Sounds more like a TV problem. If you can, go to where you bought the TV and try connecting a VCR to their display TV and see what happens.

Username: Hgdsgjklhdfajkl

You need to connect the LINE OUT (or whatever its called) from the TV to the AUDIO IN and VIDEO IN connectors (on the SCART cable), then AUDIO OUT and VIDEO OUT connectors on the SCART cable to LINE IN on the TV.

This way you can record the digital tuner signal on the VCR and output the VCR signal to the TV.
Some TVs don't have a LINE OUT, only LINE IN for dvds.

Username: Jd2010

Can anyone tell me how to hook up my HDTV, the HD receiver(Cogeco DCX700) and my VCR/DVD player?? Everything worked with my digital receiver, but now with the HD box, I can't figure how to hook it up.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 418
1.) Cogeco Motorola DCX700's HDMI output to HDTV HDMI input #1
this step lets you watch TV

2.) Cogeco Motorola DCX700's composite video output to VCR/DVD player composite video input (this connector is usually a yellow RCA jack)
Cogeco Motorola DCX700's L/R audio output to VCR/DVD player audio input (these connectors are usually red+white RCA jacks)
this step let's you record on VCR

3.) VCR/DVD player HDMI output to HDTV's HDMI input #2
this lets you watch DVDs on your TV

Post Number: 2
ieee488, I don't have HDMI connections on my HD TV. I was using the red, blue and green connectors, and the red and white ones to watch TV. What else can I try??

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
Your HD TV doesn't have HDMI???? Wow.

red+blue+green = component video; no audio
red+white = audio

Since you don't have HDMI, you will need to
A.) ignore step #1 above

B.) buy two audio y-adapter such as this --->
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103638&CAWELAID=107593734. Connect them directly to the HD cable box's audio out connectors (red+white RCA jacks)

C.) Connect HD cable box's component video output (red+blue+green) to the TV's component video input [you have this already]

D.) Connect HD cable box's composite video output to VCR/DVD player composite video input (yellow RCA jack)

E.) Connect cable from the red y-adapter to VCR/DVD player red audio input and to TV's red audio input. Connect cable from the white y-adapter to VCR/DVD player white audio input and to TV's white audio input. The y-adapters split up the left+right audio signals.

F.) To watch DVDs, you need to tell me what connectors are on your VCR/DVD player and what other connectors are on your TV.

Post Number: 3
My HDTV isn't even 4 years old, but no HDMI. I will buy these connectors and we'll see what happens. I'm very frustrated, and hope this will work!

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
With HDMI you get video+audio all with one cable.
But since you don't have HDMI on your TV, you are left with only one set of audio as you can clearly see on the back of the HD cable box.

Post Number: 4
I have 2 sets of red white and yellow connectors on my TV, AV1 and AV2. Also there are two sets of red blue and green jacks, with a red and white connector for each. Currently one of thse sets is hooked up to the HD receiver and TV.
The VCR/DVD player has :
1) dvd/vcr out jack
2)vcr audio in jack, underneath that one a vcr video in jack
3) digital audio out coax jack
4) dvd audio out (analog) jack
5) s-video out jack
6) component video out jack (this is the one with red blue and green jacks
7) dvd/vcr video out jack (goes with #1, red white and yellow)
8) vcr video in jack (goes with #2 red and white)

Hope this helps!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
I would connect the component video out (red+blue+green) from VCR/DVD player to the TV's second component video in.
And connect the VCR/DVD audio out that goes with that component out to the audio set that goes with the TV's second component video in.

Post Number: 5
OK, I have done all of this, I have followed your instructions, and as far as I can tell, I have it right. But I can't bring up the on-screen menu for the VCR. I've tried several different ways. EG. On my TV screen i can bring up: TV
VGA
S VIDEO
YPBR 1
YPBR 2
AV 1
AV 2
DVI
I think that's the whole list. Now what???

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
YPBR1 = HD cable box
YPBR2 = VCR/DVD player

or vice-versa

depending which way you have it

Post Number: 6
If I go to YPBR 2, the DVD will work. Not the VCR though, I can get the menu for the DVD OK.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
There must be something on the VCR/DVD player remote that selects whether you want to view a VHS tape or a DVD.

Post Number: 7
There is, the VCR indicator light comes on, and the tape responds, but I can't get the onscreen menu......what have I done wrong???

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
At this point, I can't help you any further.

You'll have to read the VCR/DVD player's manual and see how to get the video to switch to VCR side.

Post Number: 8
there's simply a button on the remote, and the indicator light switches back and forth, but I just can't bring up the onscreen menu for the VCR.
Thanks for your time anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
You need to read the manual.

Post Number: 9
Oh I have. There's something that just isn't right.
I took the cables (red white yellow) hooked the yellow line where it was supposed to go, and the red an whites went to the y jacks that I bought. Then I hooked up the red blue and green cables to the YPBR2. So I don't know what isn't right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
you don't need both the yellow and the red+blue+green
they both are video signals
the fact that you see the DVD menu on the TV means that the video signal is getting through

why you can't see the VCR is puzzling, but maybe the answer is in the owner's manual

if you won't read it, then we'll never know

Username: Djnsfca

I have read about everything here regarding how to hook up my HDTV to my VCR and get my TV to show my VCR tapes. Now I need to know how to record saved programs on my DirecTV box to my VCR. I have an older HDTV and it does not have the 3 connections (Red - White - Yellow standard patch cord out) connections. Is there a step I am missing or is the purchase of a specific converter box to bridge the gap the answer to my problem? I must note on the HDTV in question the cable bos is a second box, not the main Geni and it has no plug other than the ones into the TV none out. Help me Obie you're my only hope.

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
I am confused.

What do you want to hook up to your VCR? Your HDTV or your DirecTV box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us