Dual 505-2 hum in one channel

Username: Magusguitars

Post Number: 1
I have searched and seen the other threads on this topic but they did not help me so apologies if this has been brought up a thousand times in the past but I recently acquired a 505-2. It is in excellent condition apart from only one channel works, the other just hums. I have tried everything and i'm all out of ideas. Here's whats happened so far.
I swapped out the RCA leads and soldered a new one to the tabs inside, no change.
I checked with a multimeter from the RCAs to the four coloured wires on the back of the cartridge, they all have continuity.
I have had the cart in bits, checked all the connections, squashed the little connectors slightly for a tighter fit, no change.
Sprayed all contacts with contact cleaner, no change.
Checked the earth wire, connected it to the amp. Everything is earthed, chassis and tonearm.
So I'm lost.
Does this mean that the cartridge is faulty? The Stylus? Both?
Where does the tiny earth wire into the tonearm terminate?

Also one of the screws that holds the chassis to the plinth is missing, the long ones with the disc on the end, I forget what it is called, where could I pick one up? I'm in the UK.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated! It is doing my head in.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18524

"Does this mean that the cartridge is faulty? The Stylus? Both?"

Doesn't mean the cartridge is faulty but it does lean that way. What cartridge are you using? Is it new? Or, did it come with the table?

The ground wire leads to a ground lug on the chassis. Though what should be exiting the tonearm are just four cartridge leads at the headshell. I don't remember a "tiny earth wire" on the arm. Could be you have a table with a diy repair poorly applied.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+505-2+turntable+repairs+and+parts&rlz=1CAAC AY_enUS754US756&oq=dual+505-2+turntable+repairs+and+parts&aqs=chrome..69i57.4186 0j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us