Username: Uchitshah

Post Number: 1
Hello I am setting up.
Dolby Atmos system at my home.

I am going to for
B&W 683 S2 for front.
B&W HTM 61 S2 for center.
and B&W CCM 362 for Atmos and Surround.

How will this setup work and Will Marantz SR6012 suffice the audio requirement.

Username: Uchitshah

Post Number: 2
And my Sub woofer will be ASW 610

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3466
No 4 ohm power rating for the Marantz. The 683's bottom out around 3 ohms, per stereophile test and this is To Me, a red flag.

Even an Emotiva 5 channel amp will provide more 'real' 4 ohm power than the Marantz.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18474

I'd say you're spending too much on your front speakers but that's your decision. I just see little need for large floorstanding speakers designed to extend the bass response when you are going to use the filter action of the receiver's processor to roll out the bass response beneath 80Hz or so. The very slight differences in system efficiency (loudness) between the floorstanders and a standmount B&W are minimal and the line is consistently similar in character between all of their models. I'd save some money and buy a smaller B&W if it were my decision.

The low impedance point of the speaker is at 124Hz - according to the Sterophile measurements; https://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-wilkins-683-s2-loudspeaker-measuremen ts

However, at that frequency, the electrical phase angle of the system is headed upward which largely - though not entirely - mitigates the low impedance warning flags. If the speaker had measured as a low impedance/high phase angle design (phase angle diverging away from 0 degrees), then I would agree with leo and say this might not be the best pairing. However, given the use of a subwoofer (covering frequencies where the 683's impedance issues are more severe) and the sensitivity measurements of the speaker, you can likely get away with this system.

The Marantz claims low impedance drive capacity; http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&Pr oductId=SR6012.

The largest problem with your selection, IMO, would be the expense of a reasonable alternative to actually drive low impedance/high phase angle speakers. You'll need to get away from AVR's and step up to separates which is likely to cost you another grand.

The Emotiva is an alternate but the sound of the two amplifiers is quite dissimilar. Given the rather "emphatic" high end response of the B&W's, I'm not at all certain I would put those two components together. In the average domestic listening room with lots of hard, reflective surfaces this could be over the top.

Separates will provide greater flexibility overall and probably longer life with greater reliability. A multi-channel amp will last for decades while the processor could be swapped out without ditching the entire system as upgrades are made. You could take the money from the speakers - buy some standmounts and keep the sub - and put that towards the "better" system.

If you're committed to the Marantz AVR, this is probably as good a match as you'll find. With the 683's, you'd want to watch that the receiver never gets hot while running hard. Deal with a good retailer who can advise you on alternatives if you run into issues with the Marantz/B&W pairing.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us