Hooking up Pioneer VSX-1020 to LG 55UH7700

Username: Charliesusername

Post Number: 1
First time poster here.

I'm trying to hook up my new TV to an older stereo system as it shows in the title. LG instructs me to use an Optical Digital Cable, but I can't find a port for that on the stereo.

I'm looking at adapters to RCA or HDMI, but wanted to probe the community.

Has anyone successfully worked this problem out? What would your suggestion be, RCA or HDMI, or otherwise.

Thanks so much for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3423
What other stuff in the signal chain?
Do you have an HT receiver? If so, run HDMI to the TV and use the receiver for sound thru existing speakers.

Username: Charliesusername

Post Number: 2
Hmm...So right now, I'm trying to play sound through my speakers, originating in either the cable box, or the tv's streaming feature and a roku), depending on what I'm playing. But my speakers are connected to the pioneer receiver but are not currently receiving a signal (due to the stated issue). So I'm only getting the TV's default speakers.

I've tried running an hdmi line from the tv to the receiver but couldn't get that to work, even when connected to the hdmi audio slot.

Other than that, I don't have anything else in the recieiving or transmitting a signal.

Thanks for the quick response btw.
Hope that clears things up.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18368

I'm looking at your owner's manual on line; http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1020_OperatingIns tructions0302.pdf

Your receiver has a full compliment of contemporary inputs/outputs. That suggests you should be able to use the simplest connections to achieve your goal.

I will state at the beginning of this post there are at least three "correct" ways to make hook ups in any modern home theatre system. They all result in the same end product though they differ in their operation, primarily of the remote(s)and how many buttons you'll have to push to get from this to that. That means any suggestion you receive on a forum may not be the way you want your system to run. You have to use some logic and think through how you want the system to run and then experiment with ins and outs.

I would suggest you avoid running video signals through the receiver. If you have multiple video sources though, that may be the only option you are allowed.

"So right now, I'm trying to play sound through my speakers, originating in either the cable box, or the tv's streaming feature and a roku), depending on what I'm playing."

As written, that sentence says you have an internet ready monitor and you can plug streaming devices such as the Roku directly into the monitor. Yes?

If the cable box (a thoroughly rotten source if ever there was one) is capable of outputting HDMI, use that connection to the monitor. I see no advantage to using an optical connection since that is considerably slower in data transfer rate. It also requires the monitor to make the conversion from one source type to another. That's likely one of the problems you're running into here.

First, be certain each source is getting an audio/video signal to the receiver/monitor. If everything works as hoped, begin connecting one source and stop to check for proper operation. Hooking up several sources at once only adds to your confusion at this point.

Take your cable box, which is probably the source you will use more often than the rest, and use its highest transfer rate output for a line to the monitor. That should be HDMI. If you have audio and video at the monitor's speakers, then you need to get that audio signal up to the receiver.

LG's site won't cooperate with my browser when I try to read their manual so I can only suggest how to go about the next connection. If the monitor has an HDMI output, take that line and run it to the receiver. As I said, most monitors are not good at turning optical into HDMI due to the way the signal is received at the inputs to the monitor.

If the HDMI out from the monitor to the receiver gets you audio output through the speakers connected to the receiver, that's all you need. From there you add the next source to the monitor and check for proper operation and signal transfer to the receiver.

The most common obstacle to proper operation will be assuring the components have made a digital handshake. For that you need to sit down with your remotes and go through the set up menus on each component. Tell each input where it should take an output. Make sure you're also looking at the video menus as they tell each component what transfer rate they should work with. Say the cable box isn't set to output a digital signal which is of sufficient quality to throw the switch for the receiver's decoders, then you get nothing, or less than desired output, from the receiver.

Tell each output where it should send its signal to successfully make a handshake occur.

This is where most system set ups fail. Take your time and try several options.

If all of that works as expected, head to setting up the remotes.

If that is unsuccessful, you may have to fall back to routing your cable box HDMI to the receiver first and from the receiver to the monitor through a subsequent HDMI connection. That really should be a dead simple connection that gets everything working "properly" once you have the set up menus adjusted. That does indicate "the system" can operate as "normally" as possible.

From there you have to work out each subsequent source such as the Roku. I can't say just how that would work but you might try running the Roku through the monitor and try simple RCA stereo (two channels only) output to the receiver.

If that works, then you think through how to get more channels.

The issue here is setting up each source and the receiver to see each other. The complexity of, and possible number of, sources has made this type of system unpredictable.

If you simply can't get from here to there, then you should go back to the retailer who sold you the monitor. That typically means you need a brick and mortar retailer.

If you purchased the LG (formerly Gold Star) on line, you will possibly learn a lesson in why brick and mortar retailers still matter. After the sale service is part of a retailer's obligation.

If everything above fails and LG can't assist you, try Pioneer. They should(?) have a chat line which should assist in the set up.

Hope that helps. There are several ways to get from here to there and I can't go through each without being in front of the system.

Make sure you're going through the set up menus in each attempt and with each source.

If one set up fails, you typically have a "return to default" switch which gets you back to square one with each menu.

Do not, if you can avoid it, make future set ups when you have an old set up still in the menu. You'll only get further into the hole if you try that. Best bet is to take notes and keep track of what works and what doesn't. Eventually, looking at your notes, you should be able to go through a "this, not that" run through and get an idea where to head next.

And, to put it plainly, if you don't do this often or you can't reach a point of "this, not that" with your notes, it will be far less frustrating and time consuming to pay someone to come in and do the set up.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us