Pioneer PL-990 turntable automatic arm problem

Username: Emma_

Post Number: 1
Hello there - Wondering if anyone can help me out. A while a go I left my friend to her own devices in putting a record on, return to the room to catch her trying to force the arm across onto the record, not realising it's an automatic turntable. Since then every time I try to use the 'Play' function, the arm moves across, drops down, then immediately moves back up and drops back into the arm cradle and will then repeat these motions several times. If I try and move the arm manually it often falls into the same repeated moving up, into cradle, then across and down etc. I can usually 'trick' the machine into working if I drop the needle across and down very quickly manually - but this is not ideal. I've tried unplugging the turntable and manually spinning the plate with the arm lifted as I've seen be recommended before to 'reset' the automatic arm, this doesn't seem to work however. Any ideas? Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18306

Is it still in warranty?

If you cannot reset the automatic functions with the quick spin technique, then there's no more you can do.

If you start to piddle with the table, you risk; 1) voiding your warranty or 2) making the situation worse.

Where did you buy the table? If it's a reputable audio shop, they may be able to help.

Post Number: 2
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Where would I find the model number? The manual says both PL-J2500 and PL-900. Unfortunately it's a few years old now so out of warranty

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18307

Sorry, I posted that first response before I looked at the title of your thread. Yes, the model is the PL-990.

Model numbers are often assigned to a generic series of components and vary between the international markets where they are sold. It's one way for the manufacturer to quickly distinguish "grey market" goods.

If the table is out of warranty, there's not much to do other than pay for a repair. You can work that out with your friend. Basic rule has typically been don't allow a friend near your system without supervision. They can do considerable though unintentioned harm. Turntables are alien beings to most people now days.

But the bottom line is a tech needs to look at the table. Hope for the best. Maybe they can manage to reset the table with a really good spin.

Post Number: 3
Okay great, thanks very much for your help. I'll see if there's any techs in my area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us