CD Player not playing discs

Username: Jamginger

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
My Cd Player is a Pioneer PD M407, part of my 5.1 surround system.When i put a disc in the 6 tray magazine it searches through the 6 trays but doesn't start playing a disc.
I thinking there maybe dust on the laser lens or it is finished.
Could you explain to me, how to identify and get to the laser lens and clean it if necessary??
I've included a photo of the inside of the cd player. Thank You Upload

Post Number: 2
No help so far.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18051

There really is no help. Cleaning the laser is generally not going to solve your problem unless you can say with certainty it is a dirty laser causing the problem. This isn't a, "Oh, well, it can't hurt", solution. I've rarely seen a laser become so filthy that the laser bean, about 1/60 the diameter of a human hair, cannot function. The amount of "Ambient" pollution which would be required to stop the laser would have likely put you in a distressed state long before the laser gave out.

It is more likely the laser's transport which is at fault, The laser assembly rides along a set of rails and it's movement is controlled by a servo mechanism. Most often the rails must be stripped of their old lubricant - which now has likely hardened - and new lubricant applied. After that repair, the laser transport must be re-aligned for proper tracking of the disc. No consumer has the equipment to perform such adjustments on their own.

If the servo mechanism is at fault, servicing the transport won't matter and won't help. You would need to troubleshoot the servo and repair or replace the defective components. Then re-align the laser mechanism to arrive at factory spec. This is once again outside of the technical capacity of almost all consumers.

CD changers are typically prone to problems of not setting up. The laser is trying to read the CD's subcodes while the disc is spinning at 500 RPM. Due to the speed of the disc and the very small focus issues which are involved, the slightest variation from spec causes the player to never locate the lead in codes of the disc. Since CD's are similar to LP"s in their irregular eccentricities, some discs will set up and some will not. Eventually, it becomes a problem of no disc will set up.

Unfortunately, most CD changers are, at that point, not worth repairing due to repair cost vs value of the player. IMO your best alternative is to take the player to a service shop and ask for an estimate of repair costs. There's really nothing you can fix on your own in this player.

Post Number: 3
Thank You,for an answer.

Username: Jackieg1967

Bush, LA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a factory Honda 6 disc in dash CD player which recently started not ejecting CDs and displaying ERR. When I try to load CDs the redio continues to play and the number slot blinks but nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it or just buy a new system?

Username: Janoski

Post Number: 3
Similar to what was mentioned earlier, trying to decipher which specific part might need some fixing up for these types of players might cause you too much hassle for what it's worth. It would be best instead to just pursue getting a replacement one. This is assuming that you have tried multiple discs, and that these discs are working in another system, or in your computer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us