Panasonic CD Player Circa 1990's

Username: Hobbeldehoy

Post Number: 1
I have a Panasonic CD player I've had for yearsand then stopped working. I tried cleaing the
laser lens but it still didn't work. I put it
up the loft in a box with a view to recycling
it but then I thought I'll bring it down from
the loft and try removing the laser unit with
a view to fitting a replacement just for jolly.
Guess what? I fired it up and it's working fineagain. So it's not the laser after all. Could
it be a small adjustment needed somewhere?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17958

Probably not. Laser mechanisms simply wear out and/or do not track properly after a few year's use. This sort of problem begins as an intermittent issue and progressively become worse. Use the player as long as it works but don't expect miracles. The convention with CD players is to use them until the laser fails and then discard them for new. Planned obsolescence is a part of modern audio design. You'll likely find it is more economical to discard an old player than it is to repair an old player. That's simply how things work today.

If you would prefer, take the player to a etch and ask for an estimate of repair costs. Keep in mind, a tech can't fix what isn't broken. If the player operates without issues for the tech, there's nothing to repair in their view. They can, however, give you more advice regarding costs to replace the entire transport, if that is even possible.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3178
The transport market is in the toilet. Manufacturers are either limiting the number of different units or simply dropping out. I think Philips has dropped out, which means the PRO series is gone.

I don't know if Panasonic makes there OWN transports or buys from one of the following: Sony? Hitachi? Philips? Sanyo? Toshiba? Pioneer?
some I mention are faily small producers, like Hitachi, who otherswise is large and diverse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us