Cambridge Audio 650C vs 550C

Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through January 22, 2012David Mitchell100

Gold Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 1178
That should be dropping though, shouldn't it, due to the release of the 651C? I see that Audio Advisor carries the 651 for $800, and that the 650 was priced at $780 before it's recent drop to $500. I certainly wouldn't pay more than $600 for a brand new 650C at retail here in Canada, and even that is probably too much.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15316
Yeah the 650C goes for $500 on clearance at present.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1179
Don't get me wrong though, even at $600 it appears to be a very good value. There are some nice players in the $1,000 to $1,200 bracket that I'd buy over the 650C, but if I wasn't looking to spend that much the CA would be at the top of my list. I do believe however, that saving up for that next level is worth it.

In my experience, $1,200 is kind of that level where performance really takes off. Even with CA, you guys are saying their 800 series is much different to their lower lines. And that price point opens you up to brands like Naim, Rega, Sim, Exposure, etc. Well, you may have to stretch a little more for Naim (and you would have had to stretch more to get 800 series CA until recently). But I just think there are less compromises at this level, and performance will tend to at least hold it's own against some of the big budget gear that most of us are probably not comfortable shelling out for. I guess I'm saying that approx. $1,200 - $1,700 is a nice sweet spot for audio components. If you can buy demo or used, so much the better.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15317
Actually I feel that the more you spend, especially in the 1-2k area, the more likely you are to get a product that fits the wants and needs of a more specific consumer. Naim, Sim, Exposure...those brands and their house sounds are for very specific customers. Customers looking for a particular type of sound to fit their ideal. Less expensive players tend to dumb it down a bit so as to not offend anyone and provide an overall pleasant sound. So in a sense the compromises are just different, more specific rather than broad. I'm looking for a player with great timing, smooth with excellent timbre. If detail, soundstage and air (whatever that is) isn't the best I can live with that.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3677
Art, your going to want to laugh at my next suggestion, but what about the Music Hall player or the new "high end" solution from Teac? which on Spearit run around the same price I believe.

I would agree that the higher end brands are more engineered to target their likes instead of playing it safe. I guess it all comes down to personal preferences, music, and associated gear (energy). Then you throw in kink of a product failing. Damn this hobby can be confusing as well as a pain at times. I have heard a 12K amp sound horrid. I have also heard that same amp sound amazing. This is because it was made to work with a certain type of associated gear. Its a tough hobby.

Hey, that little Teac looks kinda retro Teac a bit.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15318
Not laughing at all. I've been looking at that Teac. Looks like it's about sold out everywhere. The only way I would have the trade in allowance is if I traded both my wifes and mine and I won't do that. Meanwhile i'm trying to sell some cables to come up with some capital. That Teac looks like a possibility, if there are any still around.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3678
Apparently it has been giving glowing reviews by the few that have reviewed it. You should be able to get 100 or so for your tweaked Rotel. ?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15319
Lots of decisions. I have to maintain 3 players. One for the living room and it can be the least of them but must be decent and one in my reference system and finally my wife's CD player. I have about 2 thousand bucks in cables to sell and if I get a third of that I'll be lucky. I'll keep working on it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15320
Spoke to the store today and they stated that they have only sold a couple of MH units and they both had service issues. They did indeed confirm the problems I had with the NAD's so they don't think I'm being picky or just plain nuts. They have sold out of the TEAC's for now. However they do have the floor model which he said has been there a very short period. He stated that it, more than any other player in the budget, is the most the most robust with a "built like a tank" quality. He is sending it out today and perhaps next weekend (first weekend of Feb) I will be able to listen to it side by side against the CA 650C. Pretty cool!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1182
Teac may not have the same cachet as other names, but they make the Esoteric line, so it's not like they aren't involved in high end audio is a pretty big way. Hopefully it measures up to NAD's sound quality, but with the reliability you are hoping for.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15325
Not to take stock of it but the little Teac won a 2010 TAS Golden Ear award. Should be fun anaways!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3679
Hope it works out for you Art. I have a feeling the Teac will be your favorite. The Teac, regardless of its badge, looks very good under the hood. I can't see why it wouldn't sound great.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15334
OK so when the latest 650C came in I put my ole $639 Van den Hul Mainstream power cord (since none of you schmucks bought it...lol) into the player and moved down a notch in level of IC's from the Orchid to the Waterfall in VdH line. It improved the sound but not quite enough. Please understand I tried all combinations before I settled on this as the best. Today I have run the 650C all day with the display off and haven't been struck by edginess or brightness at all...perhaps the CA's get worse rather than better when they break in or perhaps I found a nice combo of cables that when combined with leaving the display off creates the outstanding sound I have been experiencing all day...who knows. Looking forward to putting the TEAC up against it.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3684
Cool!! I have not really heard any of their CDP's for any longer than a few seconds, but I have decent experience with their amps. I had a similar experience with the new 840a out of box. At first I couldn't quit get the highs right so I tried dumbing down the IC's to a cheaper pair and BAM, highs smoothed out. THEN! After about 80 hours of good solid playing time the amp, for me, started to completely change its tune. The hardness I was hearing was completely gone and the sound was actually on the warm side with the totems. So I changed IC's back up the chain a bit and the sound has been fantastic.

I will be honest, I have never been a big believer of electronic burn it, but I believe I truly experienced it with the 840a. The sound of this amp, for me, completely changed after about 80 hours. It was hard for me at first to determine it as the 840 sounds like a different piece compared to the 650 and 550 amp units which were the only ones I had experience with up until now. But when it hit that mark, It was clear something was changing.

You got to wonder how many hours the 650 needs. Sounds like you found a good combination Art. Or maybe the other units sound was compromised when it went tits up.lol

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15337
Or as I stated, perhaps this one hasn't broken in yet!...Yikes!

LOL!

You may remember that I asked if anyone had experienced ringing...It was a quick question quite a few posts ago. I found the source of the ringing. It was a strategically placed (uh yeah) candlestick made of brass and with a few very thin areas. It was ringing like crazy, removed and the ringing stopped. Nice.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3686
LOL! I had the same experience once again, well similar. When using the 840 I noticed a rattling noise during hard piano keys and bass kicks. I changed out my banana plugs ( no idea why lol ) and even tried different speakers and sources. The sound was great but the noise was driving me nuts. Anyway, long story short, it turned out to be the little movie sign I had beside the theater screen. lol Its a wood sign and it just hangs there and it was rattling against the wall. Removed it, problem solved.

lol Hopefully the 650 keeps on keeping on. lol

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15343
Three posts from last night on another forum:

Another day and even better. I found the source of some of the ringing I've been experiencing and it was a poorly placed candlestick. I removed it and the ringing is gone and with it the balance of the irritation. With the change in cables and the display off the 650C is acquitting itself quite nicely. Actually the sound I'm getting today is pretty close to stunning. Even timbre which has been a bugaboo with this player seems right on. Drums, cymbals, piano keystrokes are percussive with just the right amount of bite and roundness all at the same time...drums, brushes, pretty much everything is the best it's been in this setup. I'm impressed. If the TEAC can better this I will be in hog heaven!

Example: Listening to Miles Espanol Disc 2, Track 2, Flamenco Sketches, the flute is dry and well articulated, cymbals defined and separated..you know which is which...piano, cowbell, guitar, all of it is well defined and organic. Track 3, same thing, everything in it's place with excellent dynamics, articulation, timbre and definition. BTW I turned on the display for a brief second to check the track number...it's the friggin' display, it's the primary headache maker. I've never seen this before...too friggin" weird!

John, I know they made some changes for the 650C from the 640v2, so I'm not sure it's the same but you need to put a high quality power cord on the 640v2 and turn the display off, play for few hours and then tell me what you think.

If the TEAC is better then it would simply have to add just a bit more meat to the bones of each note...just a hair more color to the timbre. That would be a miracle at the price and a gift as well. Here's to hoping..and here's to not not being disappointed if it's not the case!

If any of you CA 650C owners try the display off, keep in mind that you can hear a difference when switching between off and on, but it isn't until you use the player without it for hours that you know how profound the difference is...just sayin'!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3687
Cool!! A lot of people on forums stated their Apollo's sounded better without the display on as well. I wonder what it could be doing???

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15349
I had an Apollo and Saturn and both sounded just a hair better with the display off. Barely noticeable but enough for me to leave it off. With the Cambridge it appears to be critical. I will run the TEAC both ways to hear what difference it makes with that player.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15353
The Teac arrives tonight!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15354
My guess is if you think that the 650C is close to the Bryston DAC in performance then the TEAC is better than the Bryston DAC!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3688
I think Dave has forgotten about the 650C as he just picked up a 840C.

Whats the Teac sound like?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15355
I wrote a response but as usual this POS website blew it up.

It's a great deck and deserves the Golden Ear Award it won.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15357
Hmm, so does that mean that Dave finds the 840C preferable to his Bryston DAC and 650C?

The TEAC has a lot of the Esoteric X-05's characteristic sound. It's quite detailed with outstanding timbre and allows you a beautiful window into each performance. It's considerably better than the 650C which is an excellent player for the money. It's a better balanced player than the Rega Apollo or Saturn. By that I mean it balances timbre, detail, PRaT, scale and finesse equally well. Probably not the best there is and it may not better the Apollo-R (don't know yet as I haven't heard it) but for now it's the one to beat at or near it's price point.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3689
Talked to Dave pretty much every day since he got it. I believe his exact words in one of his emails was " It blows the snot out of the 650C. Different machines all together"

Yes he definitely likes it better than his Bryston DAC. Quit a bit better I believe. He can correct me if I wrong. Synergy does indeed play a factor I bet.

From my research on the 840C it appears its much like the 840A in the fact that it separates itself from the rest of the CA pack in terms of being a completely different unit. 350 to 650 they are basically adding a bigger power supply and subtle upgrades in their CDP's. Then the 840 units including the pre/pro (4 pieces in total in the 840 series) are designed from the ground up and completely different units. This would describe my eye opening surprise with the 840A, and I am sure the C is just as good if not even better. Much like your experience with the Teac it's accuracy in timbre/scale was outstanding while still being detailed, musical and providing a massive soundstage. My other experiences with the 650 and 550 CA amps were very different. Good for the money, but had a glare in the midrange and the all around sound was entry level hi fi to me. I can't comment on the 650C has I have very little experience with it.

That said, I think the Teac looks pretty cool. Sounds like it sounds it as well. From what it looks like under the hood it is much like its very expensive brother, the Estoreric X-05. They use different chips but integrate them using similar parts throughout. I used a PC based audio card that used the Burr Brown's 1796 chip and by no means would it be as good as the Teac CDP, in terms of integrated PC based DAC chips it has been by far the best I have heard. It may not top the Apollo-R Art, ( or will it? ) but at less than half the price it appears its a true hi fi bargain.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1184
What's the build quality of the TEAC? I like the clean lines. Hopefully you've got a player you can live with for a while (unless the Apollo-R surpasses it, but that wouldn't be a bad thing).

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15359
Synergy would be a part of it, I would guess.

I would like to hear the matching TEAC receiver with the CD player and would like to hear the Apollo-R with the Brio-R...just for giggles. If I get a chance to hear the Apollo-R I may make an exception to my usual rule and carry my TEAC up for a comparison. I think that it would be very difficult to better it for reasonable money.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15360
"What's the build quality of the TEAC?"

It has but one niggle which was mentioned in a review. The CD drawer occasionally doesn't want to close without a gentle nudge. It has only happened once but you can hear that it wants to at other times. This was an obvious design flaw as they all appear to do it. Something I'm willing to live with for the sound quality. If it goes down I'll check to see if TEAC has an updated part until then I'm just going to spin discs and enjoy.

Other than that the transport is silent ans the player feels substantial. The remote makes the CA remote look like a toy. Very impressed.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15370
Another week has passed and tonight's listening has begun. Nice start for the TEAC. Easy to listen to yet engaging. If it remains solid it will stay and go into a second system eventually. I still have the Apollo-R in my sights.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15380
Things will get interesting soon as I have received the spousal go ahead to pick up the Apollo-R with the tax return here in a few weeks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15382
Interesting thread for folks with the 840C CD player.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=276489

Goes to show you how little I know. It's the first time I've heard of pre emphasis!?!?

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3690
Wasn't pre-emphasis mainly used only in the telecommunication recordings? It was hardly, if ever used on music recordings. lol I dont mean to be rude...actually I do...but the people on that thread are complete morons. One guys claims that pre-emphasis is regular red book specification. LOL!! Huh!!!??? Wha!!??

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3691
It appears it was used on some early cd recordings such as as old c2k version of the wall. Used to do something with the high frequencies of old old D/A converters.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4928
Your Gino Vanelli or Carpenters CD's may have pre-emphasis.

God, I hope my 840C supports it.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3692
Art- do you have, or play any original older cd recordings? Some may have been mixed with pre-emphasis.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15385
I have no idea. One thing I'll say for Hoffman is that they have more knowledge about music and recordings than I've ever seen demonstrated here. Then again that site is more about music than this one so it does figure.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3693
Never heard of the forum before. It looks a lot like AudioCircle. Pre-Emphasis from what I can gather has nothing to do with every day red book recording, and from what I can gather is not used anymore and was barely used, even when it was used. lol So for those guys to be claiming that it is part of every day red book spec is ridiculous. "My Old JVC decoded Pre-Emphasis" wow..welcome to 2012 buddy. If I find out my player doesn't do Pre-Emphasis I am definitely going to seek out an old Sony player from 1992. lol

"Then again that site is more about music than this one so it does figure."

No doubt. This forum officially is horrid. Its not about anything anymore.lol The most action it has seen this week, is right now, you and I talking about pre-emphasis, something I have never even read about before, on a forum or magazine. I turned old dirty 30 on Thursday, and I think I will give myself a late Birthday present by deleting my account from this disgrace of a forum. Nothing against any of the knowledgeable, and great people on ecoustics. But checking this forum anymore is a complete waste of time. Pip Pip Cheerio!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15386
The site is run by Steve Hoffman. You may want to Google his name. I'm quite sure you have albums mastered by him. Probably why the emphasis is music, recording and mastering.

I definitely enjoy music and the CD format so I am always interested in learning more about some of those early discs. Believe it or not some of them are actually collectible.

I think this forum has always been more about gear than music...it is what it is. We had more than one member with more pieces in their audio system than music titles...oh well.

Happy 30, Nick.

Peace out!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1185
Stick around, Nick. It doesn't hurt to leave your account open. This place does need an overhaul, no question, but I still like to drop by and see what Jan, Art, Dave, Nick, Chris, et al. are up to.

The Hoffman forums are great for reading up on the various versions of an album that I'd like to buy. That way I get the best recording possible. For audio gear I like ecoustics (what's left of it), CAM, and Audioreview.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4929
Don't forget http://audioreview.ca/

Yup.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1186
I was referring to .com, but I'll check out .ca too!

Do they have forums, Dave, or only reviews? I clicked on "Forums" but it seems only a list of reviews comes up.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15389
I agree, Dave.

Nick, I certainly get where you are coming from. This is a pretty tired place. Like Dave, I enjoy seeing what new toys you guys have and just sayin' hello! Keep the account open because ya just never know.

My favorite forum for gear is Pink Fish...it's just plain fun watching the Europeans go at it...lol!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4930
Hey Dan.

.ca is my website. It's a work in progress - the forums are in the works right now actually. I can send ya an email when the forum is ready if you want to check it out.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1187
Good stuff, Dave. I like the clean layout. I'll keep checking in, and I'll throw up some reviews eventually too, once I've got my system a bit more sorted out (it's kind of in flux right now!).

My latest purchase, which I intend to try out in the coming weeks, is isolation based. I bought a set of HRS Nimbus spacers and couplers. I intend to try them under my CD player first. Also picked up the Nordost White Lightning interconnect (I'll be selling a pair of Atlas interconnects that aren't quite my cup of tea).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4931
Thanks Dan. I was pretty stoked when I found the domain name was available.

Any reviews would be much appreciated.

What do you think of the Nordost IC's? I went back to balanced connections when I picked up my 840C.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1188
Haven't tried them yet, but I'll report back when I do. I need to ensure the PMC's are broken in first.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15424
Rega Apollo-R coming to a theater near you...soon!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4548
This place reminds me of a mall was once booming but now it's all but closed. Only a couple stores left, scattered between what seems like miles of empty stores. Escalators and 3/4 of the lights turned off to keep costs down. Their was one back where I was living, and there's one here too. We used to hang out there back in my high school days.

Sucks. Hopefully it'll pick back up again. Too many good people here to lose touch with.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4933
Ghost town and tumbleweeds Stu.

I check back here every couple of weeks to see if anything interesting has transpired, and not much does....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15454
I still check here, but as you said, not too much happening. Still hope though...lol!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4549
It doesn't help either that the site has major glitches to it...

At my old job, it the page would randomly close when viewing. I primarily use my iPhone now, and it freezes then closes after about 20 seconds.

If you can't even read anything for more than 30 seconds, let alone post something, how's anyone supposed to do anything here?

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1515
This is the worst forum for that nonsense Stu. The pages don't load properly, and when they do they take foreever. The fan starts whistling in my laptop every time I come here, so obviously all of the links and embedded scripts are causing the CPU in it to work at god-knows-what. A lot of the embedded advertising overwrites areas where the text is. It's a mess. As I've said, the worst I've seen.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15456
Couldn't agree more you guys. This place is full of problems. My computer has fits when I come here.

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 493
What cd player did you settle on Art? I'm looking myself. I don't want to spend more than $500. I'm looking at the CA 650C. The TEAC sounds interesting but more than I want to spend. Since I have the CA840A, I think the 650 is good match.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4948
I had the 650C, and I liked it better with my 840A than the 840C with it.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 494
Interesting David. I've never owned a real cd player and I'm a little hesitant to purchase. I have all my music on my pc for the most part. I would like to listen to music without turning on my pc. My taste are maturing with this hobby lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4949
LOL.... good stuff Mord. Most people are going the other direction, ripping their CD's to a harddrive and streaming from a PC.

For what it's worth, I like using a CD player better than the computer solution, and it's not because I'm a Luddite or a technophobe (I'm actually a computer programmer). Maybe that's why I don't want a PC in my system...

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1192
Guys, if you have computer issues because of this site, try Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension. I also run the NoScript extension to block the automatic loading of scripts, some of which can be malicious. You can gradually add sites that you trust so that they load scripts automatically. With this stuff in place I have no issues here, ecoustics runs like any other site. That doesn't excuse the way the site if of course.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 495
Anyone have experience with the Emotive ERC-2?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4952
The ERC-2 is still pretty new, I believe. Uses the same DAC as the CA 840C, only one instead of two in dual-differential. I've read that it is pretty good.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 496
i've read positive reviews on the ERC-2. Emotive doesn't have any in stock. Not sure if the pairing with my 840a is good though.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15529
I wouldn't give 10 cents for anything by Emotiva. Dumb name, ugly looking, slot loading POS. Just my opinion mind you....lol!

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 497
I guess I'll count that as a no from Art lol!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4953
Tell us how you really feel Art, lol.

Yeah, Emotiva really seems to be a 2-bit operation, based on my experience.

Dann G. you still suck, even though you got fired.You colossal sack of monkey pus.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15532
LOL!!!

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 498
Since I already have a CA IA, I might as well get a CA cd player. Art, since you've listened to the 550c and 650c, is the 650 worth the additional $100? I can get the 550 for $399 (Demo for $350 at Audio Advisor) and the 650 for $499.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2695
Since you have the 840a, you may want to take advantage ot the 7 or 8 series CA players with balanced outs........just a thought.

My 840 prefers the balanced outs. Though I used the 'as issued' unbalanced in the comparison....absolute rubbish of a cable.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4954
The 840C did in fact sound noticeably better through XLR than RCA.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 499
Leo, I would like to have the 840c but my limit is $500 right now and I prefer new to used for a CD player.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15535
The 550C is almost as good as the 650C. Worth $100...I don't know. To me it would be.

I will be heading to Portland Thursday to pick up my Apollo. I will call here in a few minutes to make the arrangements!

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 500
Thanks Art. I suspected you would say that after reading your comments here.

Are you keeping the TEAC?

I don't think I want to spend $700 for a CD player right now but it sounds like a great piece of equipment. I think I will start small and go from there should I decide that CD is the way to go. I don't own many CD's right now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15536
Will definitely keep the TEAC and it is quite a bit better than the CA players. It's really quite a nice sounding player with more than just a bit of the Esoteric line's magic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15540
Today's the big day!

I'll be leaving work for the 2 hr drive at noon.

There will be NO unboxing video...lol!

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 501
What! No unavailing pics? Lol Enjoy Art. I look forward to your review.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15542
I'm back from Portland with my prize and I had a wonderful time. I had time to audition 4 wonderful speakers at length. The Spendor LS3/5r2, ProAc Tablette Anniversary, Nola Boxers and the PMC TB2i. More on that later as I definitely was able to form an impression of each and I took some notes.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15546
Rega Apollo-R headed back as defective. I feel like I've been hit in the gut. I can't believe this is happening again.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 503
Wow! Sorry to hear that Art. That must be a major disapointment. That's a long drive to return the player too.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15547
Yep...it's going to fxxk up my whole weekend. Spending most of it in the car. What can you do.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1194
Was it brand new, Art? My 35th Anniversary Apollo was DOA too, but it was a demo model. Sometimes I wonder about Rega - we've seen this before a few times. I trust it will be worth it in the end though.

Looking forward to the speaker impressions as well. My set of TB2i just got through their break-in phase a couple of weeks ago. PMC stated 15 hours and I found that's exactly correct.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15551
It was brand new. I pick up a new one next Thursday...good thing I have this fabulous TEAC...all good!

I listened to the PMC TB2i Signature and it was splendid. Detailed and near to perfect. More later.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15553
The Thursday auditioning experience is up at the speaker forum.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15576
Oh what good news! My wife's CA 650C bit the dust this morning. We were getting ready to hop in the car to drive to Portland to pick up my replacement Apollo-R and my wife was playing a CD...she hit stop and waited a couple of seconds and hit open and the drawer opened and there was no disc. She hit close and it hasn't opened since. All we get is "Error"! What a mess...will send an email to CA service and pay a bunch for shipping to send it off to the east coast....did I mention that the rubber from one of the feet fell off as I was taking it out of the room!

Username: Terry23

Davis, CA United States

Post Number: 1
My one-month old CA 550C will not play the brand new Hank Jones CD through the first song. Skips, then stops (with the "Error" message) and the door opens. I've tried several other CDs and none will play all the way through. I've been a big fan of CA for years but this problem is turning me off for sure.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15579
Where did you get yours, Terry?

Sacramento, CA United States

Post Number: 2
Audio Advisor...just sent them an email.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15581
Hmm. Did they take care of you? I went through 10 defective CD players with Spearit and now they have washed their hands of it. Truth is it's caveat emptor and you and I went rogue and wanted something for nothing and instead got nothing for something. Back to the brick and mortar dealer, I suppose. I needed a deck for my wife and one for my setup until I could get the one I wanted, a Rega Apollo-R (which was defective too...good grief). With a Brick and Mortar dealer you have someone who is not dealing in volume and may feel some obligation to satisfy the customer who is looking them in the eye...the others, who knows. Spearit continued to provide one replacement after the other and with the factory seconds and thirds they were dealing they could afford to. I dunno, Terry. What has become of your player? Did you send it back for repair or replacement?

Post Number: 3
Don't know yet...sent them an email this evening. I've been a long-term customer (since the '80s) so here's to hoping that makes a difference.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15582
You'll be fine, Terry. They will take care of you. I would appreciate knowing the outcome.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 506
Well, you guys have scared me away from buying a CD player LOL. I was about to pull the trigger on the CA650C from Audio Advisor but not after hearing all the problems you guys are having with all brands of CD player (NAD, CA, Rega).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4958
All cool kids are buying DACs and going computer based source anyway Mord.

DACs rarely break.

FWIW, though, I never had any issues with my CA 640C or 650C.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15586
I ain't cool. I will get a DAC but won't go the computer route in the foreseeable future...too many CD's to rip...unless one of the cool kids wants to rip them for me. How long do figure it will take to rip 8000 discs (the total discs for my 3103 titles)...Yikes!

I am sending an email off for an RA for the CA today. Mord the sound quality of the CA is certainly not worth the trouble. If you don't have a substantial CD collection then get a DAC. If you do, buy a better CD player from a close by dealer who will take care of you. I am having a particularly bad time with CD players but most folks will probably not.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 507
All my music is on the computer. I have a cheap Kenwood 5 disc cd player I use now an again. I'm using the Hrt Music Streamer 2 plus DAC.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15591
And you needed a CD player for?

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 508
Not needed...wanted a CD player. I have a 100 or so CD's. It gets hot in Texas in the summer and my PC and TV heat up the room along with my amp. I was thinking with a CD player I could turn it and the amp on and eliminate some heat. I'm buying more (used) CD's too and down loading less. I upload them as I get them.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15592
Ahh. My TEAC Reference PD-H600 works prefectly (knocking on wood).

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 509
Art, I found a Teac at Onecall for $579 open box. How would you compare it to the CA650 sound wise?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15595
It's much better! Warmer, fuller and more detailed. It was immediately apparent that it was better than the CA. Get it while you can.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15596
We moved the old Rotel RCD 971 back into the wife's system. I found the best combination of cables and she is getting better sound from it that she did the CA 650C. I think a warmer cable might have brought out a better sound from the CA. I will ship the 650 back for repair and when I get it back I will sell it. I am going t use that money to restore the Rotel...I know a tech with a fresh new mechanism and the know how. Then I will buy her a DAC (probably the entry level Sim)...my next move for my system is the Rega DAC.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15598
I would probably spend the extra $120 and get the new one because you never really know what they mean by "open box". That said if they stand behind it then you should be OK.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 510
They do Art. I'm really on the fence about buying a CD player.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 511
They do Art. I'm really on the fence about buying a CD player.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15604
Want a Cambridge 650C...freshly repaired at a nice price...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3695
Mord, do not discredit any cdp unless you hear it in your own setup first. I have not been a fan of CA sources from what I have heard anyway, but I also have not heard one with a CA amp either. It may bring out the best of the 650, or the worse. Who knows. If you buy make sure you can return it within 30 days.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 512
How much Art?

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 513
Nickel, I'm not. It is concerning to see first hand issues with new equipment. I'm not sure how much I will use a CDP so I don't want to spend a bunch. However, I want a good player too.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15607
I will probably sell it for $300. Should have a new mechanism when I get it back. Going toward funding a Rega DAC and fuller range speakers for the living room. Also will be selling my Van den Hul power cords and Rega Fono Mini phono pre amp. Pairing things down...have a grandchild that will probably be coming to live with us in July.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 514
Art, is this the 650 you purchased new recently? What got repaired?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15610
It isn't repaired yet, Mord. I'm waiting for an RA and will send it off this coming Friday or Saturday. It must then go to the east coast and then to Plurison in Montreal. They will replace the mechanism and send it back. At that point it should be like new.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15611
Oh and this one was purchased 1/17/12.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 515
I'm interested Art, please let me know when you get it back.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 516
Art, what color is it?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15612
Black.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 517
Great! It will match my kit. The price is about all I want to invest right now until I decide that I will use it enough to justify investing in a better player in the future. Plus, this is the player I was planning to buy anyway.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15614
I'll let you know when I ship to the east coast and what Plurison says. We want to make sure that they understand the issue and completely resolve it. Then I will again let you know when it arrives back here...good enough.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 518
Works for me. I'm in no hurry.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 736
Sold my c545bee and picked up a c565bee refurb from Spearit sound.

Really want to use the USB input input as I store music on a thumb drive. I use the thumb drive for the radio in my car (got the radio at Walley world for cheap and it's a really nice feature). I know the sound won't be quite as good as the player, but I can download podcasts and other such things and listen.

Since NAD is coming out with the C546 (the 545 with the usb input), I felt this would the best time to sell the 545. Fortunately mine was the only one up on the gon...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15626
Cool, how does that 565 sound. I have a friend on another forum who had a 545 and 565 and though he liked both he preferred the 565. Check AK for a full review on both with lots of pics. New 546, huh.

My next move is going to be the Rega DAC.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 737
Actually it is being shipping as we speak Art. When I get it up and running and monkey around with it I will get back in here and let you folks know how I feel about it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15628
Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Post Number: 4
New CA 550C as arrived and seems to be working fine but the first one worked fine for the first two weeks so we'll see. For those that are interested, it's paired with a CA 640A Integrated Amp and NHT Classic Three speakers.

Also, I'm not going to touch the default settings. I have no idea if it matters but I was playing with filter settings, auto-play and auto shutdown on the first one.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15635
The slow roll off filter sounds better than the steep one. You may want to change that part.

I called the repair shop on the 650C and the owner said that it was a very simple fix so I shipped it to Los Angeles today.

Bronze Member
Username: Fredia

America

Post Number: 13
Ohoh...

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15637
OK

Post Number: 5
Art, Did he tell you what the fix consist of? just curious...

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 519
Art, how long did he say the repair will take?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15640
He didn't say...

Sent ya an email.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15645
Well, believe it or not, another Apollo-R has stopped working. This time the problem is easy to see. A piece fell off (came unglued) and now it reads that the door is open all of the time. TEAC back into the system and frustrated customer ready to explode...just sayin'!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3699
My apollo had a piece come lose at one time too, had to fix with screw. Piece of junk it was.

Do you get any idea of how it sounds with your system before it breaks? Or too quick too early?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15646
It sounds absolutely fantastic. I obsoleted the TEAC immediately. The new Apollo-R is a game changer. The best sounding player I've owned. Tons of drive and detail. Totally addictive and so it's real frustrating to have it go bad. As good as the TEAC is it simply doesn't compete, at least not in my system. That may well have to do with the amps that I'm running. So far Rega has been excellent to work with. Good dealer network and distributor also helps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3700
Thats good. When will you have the third? Or is the part easily fixable? Super Glue?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15654
Could have super glued it but not while the player is less than 2 wks old. Especially if it isn't precisely where it is supposed to be I would have some answering to do and I would likely void my warranty. I have number three at home right now. We opened a new one and I looked over at the demo and said...how long has that one been working.."about a month"..I'll take it. So I have the demo at home. We'll see.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3701
How long will you need in order to write a review?
Hope to see you over at audioreview.ca with your thoughts on the new R combo together soon. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15656
Dunno yet...but I will certainly post my thoughts on AR.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 520
Any news on the 550C Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15695
It's a 650C and no news. I called yesterday and left a message. Hopefully he will get back to me today, if not I will call him back.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 521
I meant 650.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15698
I called today and they are just going to replace the mechanism with a new one. Just waiting for the part. They said mid next week for the part and ship shortly thereafter.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15705
After some discussion with the distributor the 650C has been repaired and is on it's way back. Should be here next week.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15716
The 650C arrived scratched and missing a foot. An email to the distributor followed and a brand new one is on it's way and will be here next week. Meanwhile I picked up an old school Apollo yesterday and I'll be fxxxxd if it doesn't sound flat out great. It's a couple of years old but it's just kicking my rear. It has displaced the TEAC in the living room setup.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 522
You sure are having a run of bad luck with CDP's!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15722
I dunno Mord, I haven't played any of my new players all weekend. I have been playing that old Apollo in my living room setup with the Marantz AVR (in Pure Direct mode) and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and it has been just kickin'!

We now have 3 great reference level players and that's where I wan't to be. The Apollo-R, Apollo and the TEAC which I put into my wife's setup tonight. The old Apollo kicked the TEAC to the curb...color me surprised! I think this Apollo was sprinkled with magic juju juice or something because it doesn't sound like any Apollo I've heard and I owned one for a couple of years.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2750
Personal opinion?
Go computerized and do away with as many transports as possible. Even some hi-priced players use pretty dicey mechanicals.

I'm keeping a commodity upsampling DVD player and my PS3. The CD only player? Replaced by a DAC.
If the Sony does well on DVD's, than even the OPPO upsampler, which is first rate, will be on the block.

Post Number: 6
Just an update....my second CA 550C has been working great for over a month!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15763
Excellent. I have a 650 sitting in a box in the closet...

Leo, I have no intention of going "computerized now or in the future (for at least as long as I can see). Ripping my CD's would take the rest of my life and I'd far rather just listen to them.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2760
Moving parts are....troublesome. CD Transports are prone to wearing out or the spare part issue. Some player builders won't stock sufficient spares for a reasonable amount of time after sale. A computer drive is cheap and easy to replace. The last one I bought was about 35$ and came with Nero.

If the site I went to has reliable information, ALL the 'number' series from the 340 to 840 CA players use the SAME transport. It's a Sanyo, though a Sony has been used, too.

This makes spares easier on CA, but you are getting the same mechanicals in the 300$ player as the 1600$ one. I suspect the transport is the #1 problem w/CD players so the MTBF being the same for that part across the line isn't necessary.

http://vasiltech.nm.ru/CD-Player-DAC-Transport.htm

Yes, ripping 100s of CDs would indeed be a daunting task. I'd suggest hiring a HS kid and putting him to work. Make it a 'long-term' project.

There are other pros/cons of the computer approach for you to decide, but for me? My new DacMagic+ is a keeper without moving parts......well, switches and what is probably an optic encoder VC......minor compared to a transport issue. And, if I want to listen to a CD? Well, the PS3 or the OPPO will spin it for me. Other than that? USB from the confuser!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15773
Ripping of 100's of CD's could be a problem but I have thousands (3164 titles or about 7000 discs) . No way in this world would I pay someone to essentially record music I have already bought once. It's the physical media that I value, so frankly I wouldn't let a HS kid touch my collection. There is more than just music on those discs, there are memories of where I bought them and why. I've seen what most folks do with their CD's...it ain't pretty. Kind of reminds me of how kids used to treat records.

Not to be forgotten is that it would take a someone considerable time to accomplish. If I pay anyone any wage to do any job that essentially reduces my pay to about minimum wage during whatever period that I've hired anyone else. I am not in a financial position to have employees...anyone who would suggest that is out of touch with what regular folks earn.

I could replace a whole lot of transports for the same money it would take me to change formats.

I will buy a DAC but not for playing my CD collection from a computer but to stream music and buy music in the future where it's only available by download.

So for me it's gonna be CD players for quite awhile.

Doesn't mean that I'm not open to new formats...it does mean that I'm not going to convert what I have to another format. I won't be ripping CD's and vinyl anytime soon.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2762
7000 discs? OUCH!

Well, I think you are in the same position as someone with a huge vinyl collection...but perhaps worse. Today, Vinyl is staging a comeback, though it never really 'left'. All the pieces can be made in a standard machine shop...or with few alterations. Many parts are, while expensive or exact, at least off-the-shelf.
TT's and all the fixin's will be around for a long time.

People have spent a bundle on a NICE player only to find out that 5 or 6 years later......OOOPS! Can't get THAT part! And the Laser assembly? I suspect that is a part made in a wafer fab AND partly in a clean room assembly. They won't be around nearly as long as TT parts. I expect to be able to buy a 'NOS Laser' at ever incrasing price.....for couple decades, maybe.

That's why I ditched my transport. I'll continue to buy CDs. No question about it. But, They will be archived to a confuser and not touched after that. My MUCH smaller collection, is, in this case, an advantage.

Doing the math? 7000 CDs in standard jewel case? At 3 CDs per inch, that is nearly 200 feet of shelf. Each CD in case goes over 100 grams, so you've got like 1600lb of CD....a daunting move, for sure. I'm sure the person with a similar vinyl collection has even WORSE storage issues.
Not to mention finding that 'special' CD.....it was here yesterday, darn it!

I'll continue to own and buy media. No question about it. However, look forward to the day when you buy (rent, perhaps) some electronic media which you take home and transfer to your home server. The media would be on a deposit / exchange basis. Kids'll buy lots of MP3 while those who care more about sound will be into the lossless formats...take your pick. And in a choice of mix from stereo to perhaps multi-channel with another layer of choice for SACD / HDDVD or something not yet thought of.
I'll stick with the disc / computer paradigm for now. This approach gives me the combination of physical media with the ease of computer. And no expensive transports to break.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15774
I have no storage issues. They are in shelves on the wall. I have every genre alphabetized so there is no searching for any titles, I just grab it and play it. Unlike those folks who's view of their collection is limited by screen size I can see it all at once. One can make it an issue or just enjoy the selection. The digital media storage biz is all up in the air no one knows what's happening tomorrow and today's DAC is soon yesterday's news. When it all settles out I'll consider looking that way for future use until then my CD's will continue to be in good use, and at almost 52, I guarantee that CD players will be around as long as I am.

BTW 7000 discs is conservative and that doesn't count the 600 titles that my wife has in her office.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2764
Art, sounds like you've got your system worked out.
At my house, I'd have trouble finding 200 feet worth of wall to build shelves on. That and the sheer expense. I bought a NICE shelf years ago and spent a couple hundred bucks. It's just OK.
If I bought the wood and did the work, it'd cost me a couple grand to do it the way I'd want.....Sipo Mahogany, real joinery and perhaps even glass lawyer bookshelf type doors.
Just the logistics of your collection is daunting. At 8 levels of CD, that is OVER 25 feet of wall....and you must leave room for expansion. Looking around my modest 1200sqft, I just don't see the room,

I have a similar problem with my books. Complete set of reference and Encyclopedia Britanica (when it was still in print!) and a lifetime of text books and all my paperback scifi...some collectible. But all-in, I've got about 80' of shelf and need 50% more.

Yes, you'll have a CD player forever. And need a new one every 4 or 5 years. I've seen you go thru several iterations of 'name that player' and don't envy you. Nope, I got rid of my CA840 after using it so little it was criminal. Now? A long USB to my DAC and use the 'touch as a remote. Virtually all of my collection is at my fingertips, with more added as I beg / borrow / buy to add to the collection. Of course, my NEW issue is the infamous 'backup' and I DO need a largish external drive. My photography takes up gigantic amount of space, too, since compression wrecks the same havoc on images as it does audio files. And I still have a couple albums of negatives and slides to scan. Doom on me.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15777
Leo...good gawd man, where in the heck do you get the 200 feet...lol! I live in a 1000 sq ft home. Geez! My CD racks take up 12 total ft on 2 walls in my 10x9 home office!

Other than the reliability issues of the last year I don't go through players any faster than most folks go through sources (players, DAC's HD's and so on).

Yes all of your collection is at your fingertips...that is what you can remember that you have, because really just the titles on your scren at that moment is at your fingertips until you scroll on. I don't have that issue...and won't.

I'll always buy albums and refer to my collection in that way. You'll never hear me talk about how many "songs" I have.

That said whatever way is most convenient or enjoyable for the end user is what you ought to do. You really seem to like the server setup and I know lots of folks who do. I think it's great for those who are getting more out of their music that way...definitely a "to each his own" and there is no wrong or right way of enjoying music.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2766
Art, let me see how screwed up I got my math. And maybe why?

I grabbed 3 random CDs off the rack....w/cases they measured about 1 1/8th inch thick. Call it an inch....
So, 7000 CDs (skipping your wifes extensive collection for now) that is 7000@3 per inch=2300"+.....again rounding down. 2300/12 to convert to feet is nearly 200 feet.....
Perhaps I mis-interpreted your saying '7000 CDs'???

Since a jewel case is 5" tall, I'll give you 7" per level, counting shelf thickness. So, at 10 levels high, that is about 6 feet.....A foot from the floor and a foot from the ceiling? You should be able to reach the top? No?
So, for 200 feet of shelf at 10 high, you need about 20 feet of wall. My Casa is not much larger than yours, and I think I might be able to fit that in.....using every available inch of non-occupied interior wall. Never on an exterior wall. Just me?

And, to finish getting obsessive / compulsive, i Weighed them, too. Same 3 CDs weighed about 110 grams. My scale measures 20 nickels at exactly 100 grams, so I know its correct to about 1%. Again with that pesky math: 7000/3.....x0.11 than x2.2 is about 550 lb......reasonable, for sure.

I have the advantage of marginal OCD, so i remember every album I own. Free association helps. Flicking thru the visual on the 'touch and I can locate any album in seconds. I usually just let the darn thing pick songs unless I'm in the mood for Blues or Jazz or 'other'. I can make 'play lists' for each category or even by artist if I get that involved.

My laziness trumps your organization!

And lest I forget, I've got 2 OTHER transports. A Sony PS3 which is Optical to the DAC and my OPPO upsampler, which is Analogue to the amp. So, I'm setup for even SACD, DVD-A and whatever. They even read my computer burned discs without problem. I think doing a zero cost exchange of the CA for the DM+ was fair.

I've made MP3 disc compilations for the wifes use.....in HER car.

And yes, to each his own. You obviously have a system that works.....and works well. Could I administer THAT level of organization? Not a chance. Heck, I can't even get all my BOOKs on proper shelves, let alone a massive CD collection.

OH, one other thing: How many MOVIES do you have? I've got a couple hundred and THAT takes a bunch of space, too. My VHS? Still in hiding and I sometimes break out my Rockey and Bullwinkle tapes for a good laugh. Or The Prisoner.

Happy listening>>>>now WHERE the heck did that disc go?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15780
This is where you may have gone wrong. I said I have 3164 titles which = more than 7000 discs. Many of the titles have more than one disc and many of those put 2 or more discs in one box. You simply didn't read the first post accurately. You missed the titles/discs piece.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15781
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/artkyle/024-2.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/artkyle/025-4.jpg

Both racks!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15782
That was a couple hundred titles ago...

Hey ecoustics survivors...Have a Great Memorial Day weekend!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15783
Sorry, I didn't see this question until now (speaking of not reading a post). I recently sold 300 movie titles so the wife and I have 600+ left.

Oh and I did exaggerate...our house has 1040 sq ft.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2769
Art,
How LONG is each cell in the rack?
If it's 3 feet, you've got 180 feet of shelf, since they ARE 10x high, which I thought a reasonable number.
If only 2 feet long, again per cell, than you have 'only' 120 feet of shelf, which is still quite a bit. I don't see many gaps, so an expansion will be in order...sooner than later!

Kind'a adds up, don't it?

I think I 'assumed'.....dangerous at the BEST of times....that a 'title' was a 'disc'. My vocabulary is lagging.

This is that time of year when Nuck shows up and makes everybody hungry describing some killer Bar-B-Q.
At least I have some homebrew to tide me over.

If I lopped off the basically unused guest room, I'd be at about 1120 feet.

Again, happy listening:

Right now? I've got on XM / Sirius to 'Luna', a latin / jazz feed. Perfect for housework, playing computer and keeping things lively. The optical out is MUCH superior to the RCA, so that is at least a plus. They don't play enough 'La Negra', AKA Celia Cruz.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15785
Leo, really it's no bother to me at all. My library takes up 12 ft of wall (not 200 ft of wall) in my 9x10 home office. Personally I love having a visible music library. I do still have the wall next to my chair. I could probably fit another 3000 titles in that little room. I'm not concerned about space at all. If I built custom racks on the wall I could probably put 10,000 titles in that room...but I ain't goin' there..lol!

I'm definitely cookin' up some good stuff today...while breaking in some new Dynaudio speakers!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2771
I ref' the shelves as if they were all end-to-end......a couple hundred linear feet. That they are stacked 10-high makes the 'footprint' manageable.
If you got nutty, you could use them as an accoustic feature of the room. Stick the discs out various distances and make a quadratic diffusor.

Now, the important thing is working those speakers in......while still munching. The only constructive thing to say is DON'T get BBQ sauce on the speaker while adjusting them.
I'm saving my 'q' for tomorrow where I'll do whatever the wife brings home. I'd like to 'q' some ribs with my Sweet Mesquite Rub. I have standing rib racks for my Weber and NO, I do not endorse the pre-cook. Boiling ribs is, to me, perverse. Like watering down good Scotch. Or lime in a beer. That sort of revisionist stuff. I don't even use liquid BBQ sauce on the grill. It is a condement.

I even BBQ my corn-on-the-cob. Peel all but a couple layers of husk: Cut off the tassle end and the stalk stub. Soak in some lightly salted water for a couple hours. Grill till well done= near-black. Have some butter ready.....you'll need it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15789
It's been cool here over the last few days and so I am preparing a baked pasta dish...one more hour and we shall open the red wine and partake!

Appears you have that BBQ figured out, Leo...dang!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2773
I'm a BBQ addict....for 40+ years...at least.
At one point I owned 5 or 6 of the cast iron Hibachis. I include a table top unit of about 70mm diameter which took 2 briquettes and would cook a single burger or a 'dog cut in half.

I went to Weber and wore my first one out after going thru 2 sets of tires. One of the leg braces was rusting out. My current Weber is made more cheaply but seems to be lasting well.
The downside? NO PARTS in the local anyplace. They are on a seperate MPO from the GAS BBQ stuff which is the politically correcct way to go. So, to get a part, I have to send off to Weber and than pay obnoxious postage. I'm still using my original grill grate, the one that came with my current Weber was cheap / thinner.

A 20lb Turkey fits fine. Carne Asada? Fire it up! Burgers? Dogs? Corn on Cob? Fish? Kabobs? All have payed a visit to my grill. Even 'little chickens' and Thick Pork Chops. Big roasts? of course or even some Prime.

I'm making myself HUNGRY.

BTW, it RAINED here late this evening. When I was at the gym.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3711
Would you like some of our ridiculously muggy, hot weather from the North? lol. I don't think we have had a day below 25 Celsius in two weeks now. Our long weekend was last weekend and the Sunday hit a high of around 35 Celsius (95 F).

Speaking of BBQ's, Leo have you ever tried wood pellet BBQ units such as the Traeger grills? http://www.traegergrills.com/

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15793
I'd like that hot weather. I doubt it will get out of the 60's here today!

I have 2 of the Aussie BBQ's. I only use them on weekends when the weather is outstanding...then it feels like BBQ weather. Other than that I stick to indoor cooking.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2774
NickL
Costco had the Traeger folk in on a special demo. I saw 'em and would go for it but for a small problem with $$$$$! They are pretty pricey which doesn't bother me as much as stuff like electric motors and the need to Plug-it-in. That is slightly off-putting. I'd also investigate 'cost of ownership' which for a food addict, I realize, is a stupid thing to even THINK, let alone say. I've got the Traeger local outlet business card......actually within reach of where I sit.

My FIRST choice, however? I'd get one of the Kamodo Style grills....perhaps from THIS list::
http://bbq.about.com/od/charcoalgrills/tp/Top-10-Kamado-Grills.htm

They are ALSO fairly expensive and in larger sizes can be VERY heavy. They require special stands, but at least have no motors or other complex parts. I'd suspect you could dig one out of a landfill in 5000 years and know what it WAS, and it might even still work right. You can use 'em to smoke or grill. Since you can throttle the temp, I'd even be tempted to try BBQ Breadmaking.

Good luck with that awful heat. I lived in Florida where the summer was what I called 90/90. (Temp/humidity) The the old saw about 'It's a DRY heat!' Ridiculous, at least to me. I've been out in Palm Springs / Indio when it was 110++ and had a SHOE MELT. Peeled the hot-glued souls right off. Left me with a pair of Moccasins. Who cares if it is 0.01% humidity if it's like walking around in a frikin' Sauna? Who lives like that?

Nope, Coastal Southern California, as FUBAR as the Politics is, still has one of the Premium Climates on the planet. I miss T-storms, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. year round beach walks...and I haven't had to stand in a snow drift to use the grill in 30 years. (done it, no joke). After living here for 2 1/2 decades, I just discovered I'm about a 15" drive from LOTS of coastal hiking AND a nice lake. Go Figger.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4960
Leo, I have a Traeger as well. It's a phenomenal way to cook. I like the fact that I can put on a few racks of ribs, turn it on, and can come back in 4 hrs and they're done.

TCO? The electricity is cheap. It uses 300 watts on startup, then 40 watts at cooking temp. But, the pellets can get expensive. At one point, Nuck set me up with a half-pallet of wood. That lasted me a winter, but buying them by the bag at 25 bucks a pop adds up.

The Kamodo grill looks awesome. I may buy one too.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4961
Leo, I have a Traeger as well. It's a phenomenal way to cook. I like the fact that I can put on a few racks of ribs, turn it on, and can come back in 4 hrs and they're done.

TCO? The electricity is cheap. It uses 300 watts on startup, then 40 watts at cooking temp. But, the pellets can get expensive. At one point, Nuck set me up with a half-pallet of wood. That lasted me a winter, but buying them by the bag at 25 bucks a pop adds up.

The Kamodo grill looks awesome. I may buy one too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2776
I just can't pull the Traeger on the cost. And yes, 2-bits a bag for the pelletized wood would put a dent in the fun. I'll call 'em up and find out bag weight / options. A 50lb bag would be my style. In summer? I'd have to really keep an eye on it. If I could get different woods, that'd be cool, too. I blend mesquite and oak, maybe.

The cost advantage? No more Napalm to get the Charcoal going. I never had any luck with those chimmeny things..

I'm not worried about the electric COST, but rather being tethered to an outlet. We did a block grill one day.....years ago, and my Weber just wheeled down.

Nucks a good buddy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3712
Nuck is a great buddy indeed. That BBQ Leo looks cool, will look into them further as well.

I have the my Traeger on a cheap brick platform I built for it in the backyard hidden away. I have 15 foot extension cable that stays plugged into it at all time and neatly gets raveled up after use and tucked under the bbq cover. To run, I simply toss the extension cable to the side plug and run all day if I need be. lol. Playing with different brands of pellets is fun. The Traeger ones are most expensive but come in a variety of flavors now. The small Traeger is on sale here for 399.99 right now and they are throwing in two free bags of pellets with that valued at 50 bucks. Great deal, my father in law just got one as he liked mine so much. Reg price on it is now 499.99 and when Nuck purchased mine for me it was 599.99.

I think having Charcoal and Wood Pellet side by side on one platform in two bbq's would be having the best of both worlds. I plan on doing that eventually and Weber is on my short list. Great BBQ's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3713
Oh, some pellet brands burn way hotter than the Treager stuff and are cheaper too.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2779
I had a Smokey Joe.....table top sized Weber. I think I gave it away. I know I didn't wear it out.
I than, for 40$, bought a Weber at the local grocery store. They had them stacked to dangerous heights. THAT one lasted 20+ years and thru 2 sets of wheels.
When IT wore out, I took the grate and charcoal grate and transferred them to my new grill. I miss the wooden handles and it does seem slightly cheaper made, but has so far held up well. The bottom vent system rusted up so I simply removed it. Charcoal Weber parts? a JOKE. Not available in store since the GAS and Charcoal sides of the business are seperate. NOBODY stocks those parts! So, to get a 10$ part, I've got to spend 15$ on shipping. They could GIVE the part away for what they get for shipping. If they'd used Stainless I wouldn't have this complaint.

One day (threatening finger wag) I'll dig deep for one of the Eggs.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15918
Finally put the CA 650C up for sale. This one has low hrs just in case anyone is interested.

Silver Member

Fort Worth, Texas

Post Number: 526
How much for the 650C Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15927
It sold at Audiokarma Barter Town yesterday for $369 + shipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us