Amp with tannoy mercury v4

Username: Sunnyside

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I have bought these Tannoys and use them with an old Sony receiver. Not bad! But i,m looking for a new amp. I'm thinking of Marantz (e.g. PM-7003) or a new (RA-05) or second hand (RA- 1062 or 1070) Rotel.

Any advise? Do the Tannoys have a characteristic sound (shrill, warm,, ...)?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17283

Tannoy does have a house sound but your speakers don't happen to fit that sound profile. I would say your speakers could be generalized as being more Americanized than the average Tannoy of years past. This is fine for home theater or for a listener more interested in contemporary music.

Your speakers shouldn't require large amounts of power, fifty watts should be sufficient if you buy high quality watts. The Marantz would be what I would consider a good match with the Tannoys. If you can swing the upgrade to separates, you should notice the improvement in sound quality. That, of course, is dependent upon the rest of your system, how you listen and the position of your speakers within a well set up room. You might want to give a listen to some Naim gear just for comparison.

Post Number: 2
thanks Jan! With "house sound" you mean best fit for : house music?? I'm not into that but i surely listen to contemprary music so it should be OK I guess

What do you mean by "upgrade to separates"? left & right channel seperately amplified?

At the moment I'm looking at a second hand (as new) marantz 7001 KI and a Cambridge Audio 605a. I think the Marantz has "separates"....

I'll let you now if I buy it and how it differs to the old Sony (DE-135) receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17286

"House music"? I'm too old to even know the meaning of the term.

"House sound" refers to a specific set of sound values, or qualities, which tend to run through a company's products. If product after product tend to have a sound quality that is easily identified as belonging to that company's products, the line can be said to have a "house sound". On a larger scale nations have their own national sound with the British audio products being unlike the US products which are unlike the Asian lines. To some extent this has been dilluted over the years as manufacturers have bent their sound values to meet the tastes of the average American buyer existing in the largest consumer market on the entire planet.

Separates refers to breaking the sytsem down into its consituent parts; a source player, a pre amp and a power amp to feed to the speakers. Combining the pre amp and power amp into one chassis is monetarily beneficial but deleterious to over all sound quality and system flexibility.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2796
For inexpensive to moderate priced gear "Combining the pre amp and power amp into one chassis is monetarily beneficial but deleterious to over all sound quality and system flexibility." MAY be true. But certainly not always in better overall systems.
Some integrated amps are the equal of separates.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/passlabs2/int150.html
Easily the equal of the 2 components from which it was made.
But, the cost? A serious 8000$ and change.
Made in a 30 watt class 'a' version, as well. EITHER would find a place in my system and I wouldn't even audition first. }

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2797
Certainly beyond the scope ot the OPs financial committment.

Post Number: 3
Thats right!. This is getting far beyond the budget of the "OP" (had to look it up ). But as a complete newby in this audio field I learn a lot (thanks Jan!). No house, but a house sound! In the low budget d) price range seperates are possible too. I will consider it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us