Basic Turntable Setup Purchasing Questions

Username: Quietspan

Post Number: 1
Hi all:

I am looking to purchase my first turntable setup. I am prepared to spend up to $500 for everything. I want to purchase a quality system with good sound that will stand the test of time.

I have been looking at the following:
Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
Infinity Primus Two-way 4-Inch Bookshelf/Satellite Speaker
Infinity Primus Two-way 6 1/2-Inch Bookshelf/Satellite Speaker

The more I read, the more questions I have- I believe I will need an amp? Are these quality products? Is there a significant advantage upgrading from the 4 inch to 6.5 inch bookshelf models? Will I need to purchase a subwoofer?

Any recommendations for a starter setup? Appreciate your input. Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17276

Is the turntable meant to be the only source player in this system? Are you likely to also want, say, a CD player or computer sourced music?

Username: Quietspan

Post Number: 2
Planning on the turntable being the only source player.

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14709
using a larger driver will usually extend low end response, so yes it would be beneficial. The sub is up to you, but with bookshelf speakers, I'd really recommend it if you want any sort of response in the bottom two octaves.

The turntable, you may want to shop used with your budget, since a good turntable usually starts at around $300-500 USD. Look at the Pro-Ject Debut III, or Music Hall tables as very good options for entry level tables.
You'll also ned an AV receiver, or a control/pre-amp and amplifier, and whichever you choose as your source of amplification, it will need to have a "phono" input to handle a magnetic cartridge turntable.

Try to avoid fully automatic TT models. They are overly complicated, have more moving parts that can introduce resonance, etc. The best turntables are usually belt-driven, and fully manual operation, or at most, just auto-return if you're looking for an audiophile table, and not one for DJ work. For DJing, you'd want a direct drive, like a Technics SL-1200

I just bought a Pro-Ject Rm 1.3 Genie turntable myself (retail $499) and it's an outstanding table for the price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us