Pre amp and AVR connected to same 2 channel amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 28
II am running left and right pre outs out of my Marantz AVR into a 2 channel amplifier. Then on to my mains. My question is can I also
Connect a 2 channel pre amplifier to the same inputs on the back of the amplifier using a y connector so I can listen to either listen to HT or 2.0 music through the same amplifier? Or do I have to buy a pre amp with HT bypass? I suppose I will have to make sure to turn off the power to the pre amp that is not in use.
Any help would be appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17805

You can make that connection. However, 1) if you forget to have one of the units powered down, you risk damage to one or both and, 2) there will be some amount of input impedance added to the unit in operation which might cause some sound degradation.

The better way is to use your existing components with an A/B, "either/or", switch.

Bronze Member
Username: Diggytooth8

Post Number: 29
Thanks again Jan, you offer excellent advice. I know there will be sound degradation by passing a signal through one of the a/b boxes. Though probably less than the y connector option. I think saving money for a Pre Amp with a HT by pass feature is the route I will probably take. I hear Emotiva has one for about $800 (XSP-1).
Thanks again Jan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us