Vector Research VT-200 turning too fast

Username: Damnationpink

Post Number: 1
I have a turntable (vector research vt-200) that I inherited from the garage that has no service manual. It's been working fine for years, but since my recent move I've been having a problem with the speed. It's turning just slightly too fast. It's set to the 33, the pitch is properly placed. I've seen a lot of "adjust the motor screw" answers online, but I have no idea if this is even the problem and I've been relatively unsuccessful with breaking it down to find said screw. Any advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to junk this turntable unless I have to! Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17661

If this is a direct drive table, it would be typical for speed to be controlled "digitally" with a servo system for fine speed control. A digital speed control is set by an oscillating quartz crystal, similar to how digital watches keep time. The servo system only maintains the speed once it is set. In between these two systems are the fine adjustment trim pots which contain the screws you mention.

I doubt this is your problem though. Normally, these adjustment screws are used by a tech to trim the speed once repairs have been completed. My guess would be the components which respond to the quartz crsytal have either drifted in value or have finally failed. In either case a technician needs to determine which parts need to the replaced - there is no way to reset a capacitor which has drifted in value. This is a fairly common repair for older tables and especially for those which sat in storage. Costs are probably around $100.

If you table is a belt drive, begin by replacing the belt with a cleaning of the drive rim using isopropyl alchohol. Generic belts are available on line.

http://stores.ebay.com/Daves-Experienced-Electronics/VECTOR-RESEARCH-/_i.html?_f sub=1465656017

Username: Damnationpink

Post Number: 2
Thanks so much! That was very helpful. It is a direct drive table so it looks like I'll have to begin the technician search...
Thank you thank you thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us