Job for a preamp?

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 249
First I will start off by saying, I am a car audio guy, I don't claim to know a hell of a lot about home audio but I learn quickly.

I recently purchased a vary basic Stereo amplifier from a friend for the hefty price of $25. Works great, not fancy at all very simple. My issue comes in because I planned on adding a subwoofer to the system to make a cheap 2.1 setup for my living room. I won't go into detail about the subwoofer arrangement but lets just say I will be using a BASH 300S plate amplifier ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-750&utm_source=googl eps ) to power the subwoofer. The stereo amplifier I got does not have a LFE/line-level output that is affected by the volume control... so I have no volume control over my subwoofer.

So... I was thinking there must be some device that receives a line-level input signal, takes that signal... and splits it into a 2 (or more?) sets of line-level outputs with possibly some filtering before the amplifier stage (thats what made me come to the pre-amplifier forum... lol) All the while this device would have a MASTER volume control for its own output stage. This would allow me to control the volume of the entire system between the signal source and amplifier(s).

I am not even sure if there is such a device, its just what I need and to me it sounds like a pre-amplifier job. I could be wrong. If I am could someone point me in the right direction. If I am right and this is the job for a pre-amplifier, what would be a very SIMPLE low-budget pre-amp that I could use.

If my block of text is unclear please point out what doesn't make sense and I will clarify to the best of my abilities.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us