Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and speaker issue

Username: Rob6185

Mililani, Hawaii United States

Post Number: 1
Ok so im trying to find some help somewhere. i have a txsr608 as the title says. i am having issues with a electrocuting/static noise coming from my speakers randomly. i sent it into an onkyo repair place and they said they could find nothing wrong nor could they reproduce the sound. so here is a youtube video that i uploaded about the sound if someone could please give me some advice or tell me why its making that noise. i have DefTech PC600 5.1 speaker set plugged into it using banana plugs on both ends and the receiver is plugged into a monster cable hd clean power/green power power strip. the receiver is plugged into my sony LED tv using an HDMI cable and a PS3, Cable box, Xbox 360 are plugged into the receiver with HDMIcables also. if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16493

Does the noise occur on all inputs or only on one? There would appear to be no signal playing in your video so I assume the noise is present at all times. Yes/no? Does the noise appear as soon as you power up the receiver or after a short while?

The noise sounds as though it is orginating in the receiver itself. However, you'll need to verify that by having nothing but the receiver hooked up to the speakers. If there's no noise when you have just receiver and speakers, then you can begin to add in each input and output individually to check for any one plug which might be a source of the noise.

If the local shop can't determine the source of the noise, you can call Onkyo and ask about sending the unit to a regional repair center. Most manuacturers still maintain what you might call a "master tech" in one location and that person is the one who has the most experience and the highest success rate when it comes to problematic repairs.

Post Number: 2
it occurs on all inputs... as the sound was just happening while i was watching tv i put it on mute... the sound goes away... when i unmute it the sound comes back.... the sound doesnt happen when i turn it on... it just happens at random once its been on..but it only happens when theirs sound going on. its made the sound when its only cable, only ps3 and only xbox so its not just one... but i probably will contact onkyo again and request to send it into the regional repair center.. hopefully they can give me an answer..

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14420
This could be a damaged voice coil in the speaker, or it could be the receiver.
have you tried a different pair of speakers?
have you tried switching to "stereo" mode instead of a DSP mode, to see if this continues?

Onkyo did have a problem at one time with a bad DSP board in some models that caused a clicking or ppopping sound in the left channels with DSP modes, but that was back around 2001. This could be a similar problem. Intermittant issues are difficult to diagnose, and a lot of shops just won't put the time in to experience such an issue if it's not constant. They make money based on how many items they can repair. If yours takes a lot of time, they are less likely to put the effort into it. Especially for warranty work where they can't bill you as they feel like for hourly work.

Post Number: 3
i changed out a speaker to test if it was just the speakers but the sound still continued. have tried many different audio settings but yes it continues. but yes i agree that the small repair shops dont want to waste their time.. it took the repair shop i sent it to 12 days just to open my box.. so im probably going to have to send it to the regional repair office...

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2479
Noise in output transistor?

If it were my receiver, after doing above tests, I'd spritz the output transistors with 'air' from a can to chill them off. You can find bad transistors this way.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16494

From what I see on the web this is still a current model in Onkyo's line. It should have a warranty attached to it. If that's the case, then you'll have to proceed through Onkyo's system to get any resolution. First, I wouldn't take the cover off the receiver to do any spraying as this could be used as a tool to void your warranty - plus it's very dangerous inside that chassis if you stick your hand in the wrong spot.

You'll need to be very specific in your complaint to the service tech. Do exactly what a tech would do on their bench before you go any further. Remove the receiver from the system and set it up out in the open (make certain you have good ventilation above, beneath and on both sides of the receiver) on another AC circuit somewhere in your house. Do not use the Monster power strip as this might be related to a defective VOM in the strip. Go straight into the AC outlet just as the tech is likely to do. Have just the receiver and a pair of speakers running with no inputs attached. Verify whether or not the noise exists in this set up. If it does, verify the noise exists on all inputs even when nothing is plugged into any inputs. From what you've said, I'm guessing there will be no noise at this point. The tech needs to know this. If the noise does exist, then you don't need to go any further than recognizing whether the noise occurs in both, all or only one channel and whether the noise is intermittent or constant. The issue of mute stopping the noise only tells the tech the problem exists in front of the speaker output connectors, so that is mostly irrelevant other than it should rule out problems with the speakers or speaker cabling. Do make sure you're always making good, clean connections with your speaker cables, however. No stray strands of wire sticking out of the connectors and no cracked insulation or connections which might be stressed when you push the receiver into a cabinet. These can all result in the sort of noise you're experiencing.

If the noise does not occur at start up, then approximately how long does it take for the noise to occur? Quickly or after five minutes? Thirty minutes? Does the noise seem related to any other appliance in the house switching on? Often air conditioners, refrigerators, washer/dryers, etc. leak noise into the AC line. If that happens to be where your problem resides, then the service tech at the shop can't repair what isn't in your receiver. If the noise only occurs, as you say, "when theirs sound going on" (the word is "there's"), then see if the noise occurs with just the tuner playing a radio station. This narrows down where the tech might have to look to find the problematic component. The problem might be related to a cracked input board and the tuner wouldn't go through that board.

I'm guessing the noise only occurs in the front channels. Yes/no? Not center or surrounds? Knowing this also assists the tech in troubleshooting the problem. If the problem only exists in the front channels, then just hook up the front channels of the receiver as the tech is likely to do. Even though they deal with lots of multi-channel receivers, most techs do their intial troubleshooting on only two speakers. Therefore, the tech needs to know the specific instances where the noise occurs. If you still have no noise in this set up, then you should begin adding source players to the inputs one at a time. Let's say the noise occurs when you insert the ps3, move the ps3 to other inputs to verify the problem exists on the other inputs irregardles of what is plugged into that specific input. Once you've verified the specific conditions under which the noise occurs in a set up similar to what the tech will use, then you need to write down those conditions and include them with the receiver when it goes to the shop. Onkyo should advise you on where to take or send the unit as they will have their own protocol for making any judgements of whether to replace or repair the unit.

Consider the shop which first worked on the unit to be not dragging their feet if it took them 12 days to get to the receiver. Shops run in cycles and had you brought the receiver in a month later or earlier, possibly the tech could have looked at it much sooner. That's just the nature of the business. And shops don't, in my experience, "bill you as they feel like for hourly work". Their hourly rates are on display as is required by virtually every city and state ordinance. Yes, they have the ability to charge according to how many hours it takes to resolve a problem but I've never worked in a shop where anything that looked like it would run into a large bill was not taken to the individual who owned the unit and cleared for work before any parts were replaced or repaired. Shops have no need for a repaired unit to not be picked up due to "surprise" charges. Todays multichannel receivers have become time wasters for most techs as they might spend hours trying to duplicate a problem which never occurs on their bench. You can be certain the tech who looked at your receiver didn't get paid aything for the time invested in tracking down a problem that wouldn't surface on the bench. There aren't a lot of professions where you can spend several hours on a project and not get paid a dime for your labors. This is the incentive techs work under and the more specific you can be in your instructions, the more likely the tech will be in actually resolving the issue rather than just letting the receiver sit on the side to "cook" while they go on to another repair. Giving the best instructions possible provides you the best chance of having the problem resolved.

Post Number: 4
the sound actually was there even before i bought the monster strip. and the sound goes through all channels not just the front. i have tried to plug it directly into the wall but sound still persists. as for when... it could happen when its turned on or it could happen after an hour or two... i can never really tell when its going to happen. i have also tried to change around the hdmi cables many times and in many different ways. the radio part however, i have not tried yet. so today i am going to let it stay on the radio to see if it still persists. thank you though for the very detailed and professional answer!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us