Problems getting surround sound with TV

Username: Audiophyte

Post Number: 1
I have an old Denon home audio receiver AVR-1602/682, brand new Toshiba 32E200U LCD TV, and a 6 year old Harman Kardon 6.1 surround sound speaker system. I have surround sound coming out of the DVD player but not the TV. I'm stumped. There are no HDMI connections on my receiver or DVD player so I've used an optical cable into the receiver from the TV and from the DVD player into the receiver. Instead I used RCA (red, yellow, white) cables from both the TV and DVD player into the receiver. I traded out the cables on the DVD player to make sure both sets of cables worked. They all work fine. Any ideas what I did wrong? I don't know anything about this and I'm frustrated. Thanks in advancd.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15986

What's your source for TV? Cable? Satellite? If so, you'll have to get into the menus of the receiver box for that service and do a set up that tells the receiver to send signals out through the optical cable. Then do the same on the receiver, tell it to recognize the input from the cable/satellite box. The TV cannot pass-through surround signals. You'll have to run your optical audio cable to the receiver and the video to the TV as separate lines.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us