HK 970

Username: Tedstyler

Post Number: 6
Hey guys, i've got some B&W 603's paired with an Harmon/Kardon HK 970 integrated amp which are both about 4 years old...

I just want to say that I don't know anything about the technical workings of hi-fi equipment like ohms and watts and sensitivity and the rest and unfortunately i don't really care about it. I've tried to learn but it makes my head hurt and for me, takes the fun out of listening to tunes in good sound quality.

Anyway... to my question...

Have heard some stuff about underpowering speakers and i was wanting to know whether this set up is well matched (in simple terms preferably :p )

Cheers, any help is much appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15682
Tedstyler, the underpowering of speakers comes into play only if you make demands of the amp which make it clip or heavily distort.

A clipping amp will blow tweeters (first).

If you are really rocking, you MAY hear the sound audibly distort, and thats the dangerous part.
That amp is good and powerful, it would be very loud in an average room by that point.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15755

B&W's - in general and as a line - prefer high current amplifiers. For an integrated amplifier the HK does a good job delivering current on demand, much better than some separate power amplifiers. The B&W's tend towards higher electrical sensitivity which should make the HK work well in terms of volume levels. However, if you are consistently clipping the amplifier due to high listening levels and high demand material, then you should consider making some changes.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15688
For the improvement from a 'poor room' to a good room, you could decrease your need for volume by 4-6 Db.
You get more feel good, sound good with far less volume.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2036
Nuck? Turn it down? Are you kidding?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4614
Few things in this world can't be solved with more volume, right Nuck?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us