Looking for a new receiver

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 77
Hey everyone. I normally post in the car audio forum, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some home audio suggestions for a new receiver. I am going to be using it for stereo output initially, and later i am going to purchase the rest of the speakers for surround sound. I am interested in a 5.1 reciever that has the ability to connect an Ipod or other flash media, and has at least 70 watts per channel. My budget is under $500. I have owned a Harmon Kardon receiver in the past, but I have seen demos of some really nice looking Denon and Yamaha recievers too. I am not partial to one brand. I know this is a little off topic, but I was thinking of pairing the reciever I end of choosing with some PSB Image T6's(if anyone has suggestions for main speakers please chime in as well). Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1753
How loud do you watch movies? If you like movies loud and $500 is the best you can do for a HT receiver, you should stick to Harmon Kardon. Other receivers in their class; Onkyo, Denon, Marantz & Pioneer tend to cheap out on the power supply in this price range. If you don't mind watching movies in 2.1 channels, Denon makes a great one for $400. The DRA-397. It sounds great with both music and movies, but it's only 2.1 channels. If you must have 5.1, then HK or expanding your budget to $2000 or more are going to be the only options I can see. Don't be afraid to do some research though. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 81
Well, I recently ordered a new home theater system for my parents(after researching online and not hearing in person) and here is what I picked for them:

Front speakers: Boston Acoustics A360
Rear speakers: Boston Acoustics A250
Center channel: Boston Acoustics A225C
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics ASW 250
Receiver: Denon AVR-1911

I chose all of these items based off of name-brand and having heard their products in the past. I think its sounds pretty good (and loud) for the price range, but I want something with a little more sound quality. I was very impressed with the Denon receiver especially for the price ($360 new). It looks like they have replaced the AVR-1911 with the AVR-1912, and it looks pretty nice. The DRA-397 looks great as well, but it doesn't have HDMI capabilities. Sorry I should have mentioned in the first post, but I want that feature as well.
The main problem I have right now is that I am stationed in Japan, so it is hard for me to demo most new equipment. I know Denon is a Japanese company, but I haven't found any stores that carry their receivers. So I will basically be making a choice off of research alone. I guess I should read up on some of HK's receivers as well...

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 82
And actually, I have seriously considered just having a stereo or 2.1 setup so I could invest more money in a better quality pair of speakers. The only issue is, most stereo receivers don't have HDMI inputs. Do you know any that can do HDMI?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1756
I am not aware of any stereo receivers that do HDMI. The Denon model I mentioned does composite video (single RCA) only. After all stereo units are primarily designed for music. However, you could run HDMI cables directly from your blu-ray play and cable or satellite box to your TV. Then get a universal remote with macros. This method of connecting video, even when using a HT receiver will most likely give you better picture quality. Another consideration with the DRA-397, is that including the XM radio input, it only has inputs for 7 external sources. I don't know how many you are running, so this may or may not be an issue.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 83
I just found a used Denon AVR-1800 for sale for $65. Assuming it functions properly, does this sound like a good deal?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
How used? Is it at least fairly new and appear to be in good shape? Is it possible and permissible for you to hear and see it operate before buying? Why does the seller only want $65 for it? Unless you plan to use it till you can get something newer, I'd lean 60/40 toward passing on this one.

Bottom line: For $65, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 951
If the 1800 works ok still, then it is a very good deal. I have 2 Denons and they sound real nice to me. They got this nice dark sound to them that is very appealing to me.

Grab it while you can !

Username: Honeymonster

Post Number: 2
I have just purchased one of the new Onkyo TX-NR515 network AV receivers together with a 5.1 sub-sat package, the Wharfedale DX-1 Movestar in white http://www.hifigear.co.uk/wharfedale-dx-1-hcp-moviestar-5-1-surround-speaker-package.html. Looks great against the white walls of my flat, and very punchy sound on blu ray and music. I recommend
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us