1500 Watt receiver for under $400?

Bronze Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 22
For some years now, I've been seeing a stereo (2 channel) receiver made by Technical Pro advertised that the manufacturer claims can develop 1500 watts total or 750 wpc. I've seen it advertised for between $185 and $350 and it's the same size as a typical 80 - 130 wpc stereo receiver. What they don't tell you is if it's in rms, into how many ohms and the frequency range.

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time believing that a standard size receiver that you can get for $350 or less can develop 750 watts rms per channel into 8 ohms at 20 Hz to 20 KHz with no more than .1% thd.

#1) MacIntosh makes a 500 watt monoblock power amp that is as wide, as deep and at least twice as tall as any receiver I've ever seen and if I remember correctly costs about $5000! Most of the size and weight is due to the huge heat sinks that such an amp would logically require, not only for the amp, but also for the power supply.

2) Why don't they say if the power rating is in rms? What about the speaker impedence and the frequency range? Sony used to make a compact system with a rated output of 100 wpc rms, but it only consumed 195 watts! Why? The frequency range was 70 Hz to 20KHz! In other words, the most power consuming part of the signal is filtered out! Technical Pro might be using this same trick.

3) If your amp really can pump out 750 wpc, your speakers should be able to handle about 600 to 700 watts each. People who can't afford Mac amps, can't afford those speakers either.

4) They are probably refering to "music power" (a bogus term), not rms into 4 ohms even though it's designed for an 8 ohm speaker.

I'd say it's a safe bet that this receiver's output is maybe 150 wpc rms into 8 ohms or 300 total tops! What do you think?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15143
superjazzyJa(me)s

A good 1500 watts RMS amp do not have a weight of 15 lbs.(Model: RXB113)

Easy to got a 1500 watts peak with a 100 watts transformer! The sound?????????????????

This company present concert audio system but take a real Crown with 1500 watts and see the difference.

Like many Chinese product the front look good but inside is the joke, in the pass it was the japanese product which made the same strategy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Have you ever heard of Technical Pro Plymouth? I never did until I saw their receiver in, of all places, a Fingerhut catalog!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15145
superjazzyJa(me)s

No!

Can you tell me how is it?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1688
Rating is for 'peak' power, which could mean nearly anything, down in to the microsecond range.

Rating has NO musical value. If the darn thing is more than 2x20rms@8, I'd be real surprised.

I love to hear this piece with my Magnepans.

Finding any stereo in a Fingerhut catalogue should be a red flag.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15470
That was a kind response, Leo.

sj, yes, yo can get a single 501 mono Mac for 5k$, good for mono playback.
You need 2 of them for stereo sound, save pennies accordingly.

I have a stereo amp, weighing over 100 lbs, with blue meters, that will deliver 600 wpc with ease, despite being rated at a puny 400 WPC.

Class D amps do a lot of things well, but musicality is not among them, for me. disclaimer: I have not heard every amp in every room with every speaker, ok?
I have not heard a D amp that emotes like a Mac setup.

maybe I need some time with Leviathon amps, but if you stick me in your car, I will EAT my way out of the back seat.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1689
I am practicing impulse control.

As for 'd'......my amp really moves my panels. Just replaced Magnepn's EXCUSE for jumpers.......Chrome plated Steel.....with some 6ga copper, hand whittled into shape.

As far as all those wacky power claims for 'd' amps? Forget it. My amps 500+x2 at 4 ohms is for 60 seconds only. Way longer than 'peak' but certainly not by the FTC definition of RMS.
That being said, I haven't listened to sine waves since the early '70s. Given the real nature of music, I can kick along at 50rms with a 10x kick in reserve. That should be adequate.

ONE DAY, I want to hear some Mac with my panels. I've only heard of few with this combo, and they all seemed happy.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15476
I have not heard a Mac/panel(or stat) combo, Leo.

Who has heard this combo?

I think I know a lot of Mac sound (need to hear Mikes setup), but my guess is that an amp with more energy would be better than a liquid Mac?

The 1.6QR really wound up with a set of Bryston amps a while back...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1690
Bryston at the 4b level, and Pass are 2 huge choices for the Maggie set.
Others, like me, settle on a B&O 'd' solution. Some use tubes, even.
I'm not familiar with larger tube amps at all, but I've heard rumors.
Just speaking electrically, it would appear that the flat impedance and moderate phase angles would make Maggies and tubes viable.

The store up in Carlsbad....DSS by name, has Mac. MAYBE I can get a loaner. I really wanted to try to get a deal for your MA6900, but I don't think that can happen.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15478
With the parity of the Loonie and Greenback, Leo, you will do better down there, I bet.

I am just going to store the 6900 away for a while,Dave will keep it warm for me

I have some sort of plan, If I sell the Mac amps when I move next year, newer monoblocks will come in. Like the 501....or...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1696
Mac in a 2nd system is simply overconsumptive!

I suspect that at the move, you will 'upgrade' to a very choice, dedicated hifi space. Are you going to hire a consultant or go DIY on the modifications? If I had the coin to do a room addition, you can almost bet I'd be hiring some kind of professional help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
You're right Leo! Fingerhut was the first of many red flags! The price, the failure to state rms, into # of ohms, frequency range and size were others. The fact that no one has ever heard of Technical Pro even though they claim that all serious audiophiles have was another. Chances are that there is some condition under which it can reach 750 wpc for a matter of seconds (probably just before it catches on fire), like under a 2 ohm load. I'm guessing the sound quality isn't good either. thanks for the feedback guys!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us