BDA-1 Inbound!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4725
Visited my dealer today and he offered me a deal I couldn't turn down on one. Turns out it was good timing, cause I heard today that all Bryston gear is going up 9% in June.

Ordered one in black, should be here in 1-2 weeks! Can't wait to hear this thing in my system.

Will let you guys know when it arrives.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14342
That should be sharp...and sound great as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4726
Curious to hear how it's gonna sound between my CA CDP and the Rega Elicit. I'll also be using it with Jamie's Media Center as a source. Should be fun. Hopefully the last piece of the puzzle for a while.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14346
That will be awesome. Looking forward to your impressions. I'm seriously considering the Sim or Music Hall DAC....maybe in a few months.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4727
I was getting tired of the incremental upgrades Art. I was gonna try out the Rega DAC, but I knew I would end up selling it in a few months and eventually go up to the Bryston. I've heard it many times and have l wanted one for a couple of years now.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4728
I've heard good things about the Sim DACs.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 3465
Sim Dacs are great Art.

David - Bout F'N time man! Lol j/k. Your going to absolutely love it. Best sounding DAC I have ever heard. Period. Best sounding source in actually, that I have ever heard. Period. lol. No really...period.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4729
Darned right buddy. I can't wait to get it!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4408
David,

Should be interesting. My Bryston and Rega combo sings. Hopefully it'll bring out some stability in the system.

Art - Skip the Music Hall DAC. Telling you to stay away from anything Roy Hall touches should be like preaching to the choir.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4732
It's here! Just picked it up on the way home from work. Running my CA 650C through it. First album up - Iron Maiden - Powerslave!

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1208
Congrats Dave,

Great to hear. Lot's of great things about the Bryston DAC out there. It's supposed to be a clear step up in performance over even their CDP.

Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1312
Have fun Dave. Let us know how she sounds.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4733
From what I understand George, is that the BCD-1 has one Crystal DAC, and the BDA-1 has dual differential DACs. Should make a noticeable difference.

This was a little bit of a financial stretch for me right now, but I figured I'd come out ahead in the end and just get what I really wanted instead of the endless incremental upgrades, which always cost me at least a few hundred bucks. I think I'd have to spent A LOT more money at this point to get a solid improvement.

Speaking of improvements, sound-wise I think this is one of the most substantial upgrades I've done so far.

Very happy.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14380
Good going, Dave. Enjoy those tunes, man!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4734
Thanks Art. Been enjoying the tunes for a few hours each night lately. Life gets in the way, though.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3467
Review! Review! Review! Review! Review!!

LOL!

David- been so busy myself this week as well. No time for anything. Any clear cut sonic differences the Bryston DAC has already brought to your system?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4735
Hey Nick. So far this week I've managed to listen to it almost every night for at least an hour or so.

I was actually expecting this piece to have the typical Bryston sound in my system - precise (not bright). But it's actually very smooth and analog sounding. I think the biggest strength of the BDA-1 is the soundstage; it's huge. Like crazy good.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3468
So smoooth eh. I find all the new Bryston offerings like this. Very smooth now, yet still detailed with huge soundstage and bottom end slam. A huge step from their old stuff. Awesome David.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4740
I posted this mini-review at Canada Hi-Fi, where George hangs out a lot:

I've tried out a few DACs in the last year myself. One of my buddies has the BDA-1 one, and having heard it extensively, I knew I wanted one.

A lot of people are always knocking Bryston as being too aggressive, or too bright (which I don't agree with). This DAC is anything but. Very smooth, very balanced. It actually has a rather warm, analog sound, without being mushy if you know what I mean.

I had the W4S DAC-1 for awhile this past winter, and while I initially really liked it, I found it was just a bit too warm sounding. The Bryston, on the other hand, reveals every detail and nuance of the music without being abrasive in the least.

A couple of things that stand out:

1) Soundstage - it's huge! Speakers disappear
2) Imaging - perfect balance
3) Bass - fantastic slam
4) Reverb/Decay - I've heard cymbal crashes and voice reverb on my favourite CDs that I've never heard before.

It was a bit of a stretch financially, but anyone who is interested in a good quality DAC, I highly recommend it. For the record too, I was looking into trying out the W4S DAC-2, imported from the States, and while the 1500 retail seems a lot cheaper than the 2200 loonie list price of the Bryston, in the end, after shipping, duties and brokerage BS, you'll still come out ahead. And..... you've bought a great piece of handmade Canadian gear.

One other thing: The majority of my CDs sound better with up-sampling turned off.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3470
BOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Time is starting to free up a bit for me. We should do up a meeting soon. Somewhere, anywhere. Here. Dont care. lol Tunes, beer, food, gear. I can feel the love all the way from Amherstview David. lol.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 14394
Congrats, David!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4746
Thanks Art.

Hey Nick, the music room is 90% done now. I have the final door hung (what a pain in the @ss, I had to custom cut it for height, and jam it in a very awkward position). All that's left is the laminate flooring and the floorboards. I can do that in a weekend, but realistically, it will take me much longer.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3477
lol Awesome David. Yeah I had to cut a door too because of the carpet and pad being so thick. I just had my neighbor do it.lol. Screw that noise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us