McIntosh MVP871 Arrived

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 473
Guess who just moved in?

Upload

Her Tramp Stamp.......

Upload

The McIntosh MVP871.....is in house!!! Sssswwweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12971
She's mighty pretty...how much for a date...lol!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15238
Oh nice, NMT!

I have an old 831 kicking around here that we played on the weekend. How is the redbook cd??

Silver Member

Post Number: 474
I've hear the MVP871 before and the redbook is wonderful, Nuck. But I just bought here yesterday afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to play her and really live with her. Still working on a new rack for the gear.

I'll hook her up in the living room, today. Just to make sure everything is functioning properly. But that system in the living room is not going to allow her to perform to her best capabilities.

How's that 831, Nuck?

Art, she's a married woman now. No more dating She's off the market......Tramp Stamp and all

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4103
The old 831 at Nuck's sounded just like I remember a McIntosh amp/CDP should sound. Smooth, sweet and warm...

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
I spent several hours through out the day playing her in, yesterday.

Some SACD's ( Cannonball Adderley's Somthin' Else, Pink Floyd's Dark Side OF The Moon, Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, Ike Quebec's Soul Samba) .......Some DVD-Audio Discs ( Fourplay's Fourplay, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors, Mark Knophler's Shangri-La and Anne Sophie-Mutter's Vivaldi: The Four Seasons) ........and some Redbook CD's ( Govi's Guitar Odyssey (HDCD), Train's Hey Soul Sister, Pearl Jam's Backspacer ( starting with track 5 all through to track 11, because I can't stand tracks 1 through 4, lol , Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild and Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection (MoFi Gold Disc edition).

I have to say, she's a smooth mistress. Redbook is so good. Best universal player I have owned. Even better than my Integra DPS 10.5, for sure.

With the MVP871, the music is so smooth and just flows out into the air. Far better seperation of imstruments and overall free flowing, uncompressed or forced. Timbre of instruments and voices is so wonderful. Melodic, organic and smooth.

It's so delicate with acoustic instruments, when it should be. Sounds natural and harmonically pleasing.

By comparison, the DPS 10.5 sounds squashed down, forced, harder...blunt and forced. More hard edges. This is in comparison, mind you.

With SACD and DVD-A, the gap is closed a little bit. But the MVP871 still excells and is far superior in all of the perviously mentioned aspects.

The DPS 10.5 is still a little harder, edgier and no where near as free flowing and airy.

Of course I've only had her for a week, so as I get things sorted out and my system the way I want it; I'll learn more about living with her. I still love my Rega Saturn and Apollo better overall, for standard Redbook. But we'll see where she takes me and how she holds up, when I do some long term playing.

It's nice having a high quality player at this level, for my SACD, DVD-A and HDCD.

I also put in two DVD-Videos ( Shawshank Redemption Two Disc 10th Anniversary Edition and Bee Movie).

I love how I can choose and match the resolution format. I played this on my Samsung 42" 720p Plasma. There's an option to set it at Max Resolution and 1080p. When I set it there, the picture improved greatly. Niiiiiice! But that's not why I bought her. She's for music.

So far, I'm very happy with this beauty.

Can't wait to get the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Player and a new 1080p TV.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4125
Lots of new toys lately NMT. I've kicked around the idea of getting a BDP-83 to use as a transport for my DACMagic (or possibly) BDA-1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us