Looking for new sub around $600

Username: Claytont

Post Number: 1
I am looking to replace my old Sony sub and would love to hear any suggestions for a sub that can deliver great bass, primarily for HT.

I have been reading about HSU, SVS and Outlaw and all seem to have good options within my price range. Would love some thoughts and opinions on any subs that stand out in this price range. My room is about 15 x 15 and opens up to the kitchen (roughly the same size)...10 ft ceilings. I hope to be moving soon and will have a more dedicated room for my HT.

Some of my current options at the top of my list are:

ED A5-300 ($550)
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($550)
HSU VF2-MK 3 ($510)
SVS PB12-NSD ($599) - Might be a little too large but if the performance is worth it....

I am looking for something that delivers hard thumping, clear bass at low and high levels. I want to be able to feel the bass, hear it in the dialog and limited distortion in heavy action scenes and music.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14881
Without hearing any of them, you might want to look at Knight subs as well.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14882
If you hear the sub in any dialogue, then the sub is a mess, BTW, or you crossover settings or something.

Username: Claytont

Post Number: 2
I am unable to find the Knight subs...are they discontinued? I imagine you are talking about the Epiks?

My current subwoofer is a mess...hopefully one of these will fix it.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1067
I have the HSU you mention in a largish room of over 5000ft/cubed.
Works well, integrated with my panels just fine and has audibly disappeared. I use line level connections and the subs crossover. Experimentation with the controls gives various results from boomy / thick, to just right. I run it in 'maximum extension' mode.

Outlaw is made by HSU, so I'd go to the 'prime' in this case.

Bronze Member
Username: Ctrulock

Post Number: 14
I bought a HSU stf-2 for my 2 channel room and determined it was too big for my room. So I thought I would test it out in my theater room, just to see. Well no way in hell is that sub ever leaving my theater set up. So I ordered the stf-1 for my 2 channel room and can not be happier with HSU.

Their customer service is top notch as are their forums. The spec that HSU advertises on their subs are the absolute truth, no exaggerations. So trust HSU spec and order what you need via room size, frequency responce, etc. If you do go with an HSU or SVS from what I have read, their suggestions are spot on.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1105
Charles, I live within easy driving distance of HSU HQ. If you ever want someone to go up and test one for you, I'm your man. Send check, I'll let you know how it goes and send the sub on....presently. My VTF-2mk3 is also a permanent install. AND they gave 10% off for cash AND since I drove a friends small wagon, no shipping, either. Saved maybe 75$ or so.
->)

Silver Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 107
I have an STF-2 for 5 years and love it.
One and a half year ago, its amp shorted, so I e-mailed Technical Support and ordered a new amp (Bash). They gave me detailed instrctions and I replaced it. Almost the price of a new sub, but it's OK.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1250
Clayton, if you are STILL HERE?
Just go to the SALE thread, and order a pair of those guys....or even 2 pair if you are an overachiever.
2 pair will be a budget buster, but a single pair should be just right and save a bundle.
They will be easier to place than a single sub, but will also have some additional setup complications.
2250 cubic feet is not that large but the near-square LxW will be tough....multiple subs properly placed can help that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us