SoftWare Update

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1089
Well, I'm about to do IT.
US distributor for Cambridge sent me the update 'package' for my CA840c.
Problem is that it simply doesn't like the bitstream from my Apple Airport Express and periodically goes 'glassy' with a terrible 'sheen' on the playback. Apple is pretty helpless, but CA, not admitting fault said the new software may help.
So, got a Serial 'Null Modem' cable where read/write line pair are swapped between ends. I checked out the cable I bought and it conforms to the standard in the documentation.
Cambridge says to use Windows XP but I don't have a confuser with that OS and a Serial port. So, back to the laptop and Win 2K.

Anyone ever do anything like this before? Anything to watch out for, other than just read and follow the directions?

Wish me luck. I'm gonna do it tomorrow......if I can work up the nerve.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12538
Good luck, Leo.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3813
Good luck Leo. Have you done it yet?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3814
Is there a way to reset the machine if something goes awry? I know with my Blu-ray player if you mess up the update you've essentially just created a doorstop.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14925
Abort? Retry? Fail?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1092
I'm chicken.
But not scared to admit it!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3832
Get 'er done Leo?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1115
Still Chicken!
Had everything ready to go and found that there are several kinds of 'null modem' cable.....handshake, loop and all the rest. I think I have the one to which CA refers.....I even ohm'd out the connections between cable ends.
I need some quiet time and a belt of scotch 1st. I have the PDF printed and highlighted, too.

What a PIA. The dealer that sold me the unit has washed there hands of it and wanted to charge me to do the update. HAH!
The even wanted to RENT me the connector since it is a female/female null modem cable for 9 pin serial connection.

CA seems disinterested in converting there stuff to something rational in the 2000's like maybe USB or even FireWire. The conversion to/from USB to Serial should be 1 board the size of a box of matches with an op-amp or so. If that.

Let that be a lesson to me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3834
Dang..... a good dealer would have offered to do the update for you.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1125
Yeah, I think I treated the dealer OK, too. Didn't hammer on price or anything, and HE offered me a new player when the first was DOA.
I wonder if he thinks I was kicking it down the stairs to induce a fault?

I like this player. Does much right and with the 2x digital inputs, can act as a reasonable DAC, too. Balanced outs? Got 'em.

I'm not an 'in the loop' guy, but if anyone I knew was looking to upgrade there sound, while I admire this small store and its good variety, from Pass to Mac and Paradigm....and DALI and on and on, I'd have to send 'em down to SD for the Real Nice Place.....
The place with Naim, Rega, B&W, Watt, Magnepan and even Krell and Rotel.....all stocked. Impressive inventory.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us