KRK Active Speakers

Username: Coralsianne

Post Number: 1
Hi,
My boyfriend has KRK RP5 150watt active monitors. He was originally using these as surround sound for his TV. He has now purchased surround sound and has asked for a stereo for use with the speakers for his birthday.
I went to Richer Sounds for advice and they told me that it wasnt possible to connect this type of speakers to a stereo as the speakers have their own Amp inbuilt.
Does anyone know if it would be possible to buy seperates or of a stereo that would be able to be used with these speakers.
Thanks

Coral Sianne

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14815

There doesn't appear to be very much information available on these speakers. However, the few listings I did find all indicate mulitple line level input options. Without knowing more about the system specifics, it would appear as though the salesperson was incorrect about running (these specific) active speakers with a receiver.

As long as the receiver provides line level (pre amp) outputs, which many but not all do, you would need only to run a shielded interconnect rather than a speaker cable to these speakers. It's possible either you or the salesperson have left out a crucial bit of information here but, from what I can see, you should be able to make this system work together. There might be extenuating circumstances which would make these speakers far less desireable, if not all together impossible, in a specific installation, say, should the receiver you are considering not have pre amp outputs. If so, you haven't mentioned any facts which would lead me to think making this system work together is not possible.

You'll need to clarify why the salesperson gave the answer you heard and, when you go back for more options, you'll need to specify a component or receiver with "pre amp outputs".

If I understand the op correctly, you are only looking for a stereo system to use with these speakers. In that case, a stereo "pre amp" would be the more appropriate component to buy. A receiver (which combines a tuner, pre amp and power amp all on one chassis) would duplicate the power amplifier functions already found in the speakers. There's no need to duplicate the main component in a receiver when a powered speaker is available.

Stand alone tuners are also available should you require AM/FM availability. Taken spearately, you would have the three components of a "receiver" as stand alone pieces; the stand alone tuner, a stand alone pre amp and the power amplifier already contained in the speakers.

A receiver with pre amp outputs might be cheaper than a stand alone pre amp but either would do the job. A receiver with pre amp outputs could be put to use powering yet another set of speakers in a remote location. You'll need what appears to be a more interested salesperson to help you work through all of your options here. Take the owner's manual for the speakers with you when you go shopping just to clarify your options should any questions arise.

A stand alone pre amp should be of slightly better quality than most recievers and that would be where I would begin looking for a new system.

If you want the most basic system possible, and you can accomodate only a single digital source, a CD player with a (line level) output volume control would be a workable solution also. The volume control on the player would act as the functional "pre amp" and you'd need only to run a set of interconnect cables between the player and the speakers.

Username: Coralsianne

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input. I will make sure i take a print out of your post with me to the shop.

I had also emailed the manufacturer of the speakers to ask for their advice.

Their response was "You would only be able to use them with a stereo if it had a PRE-AMP Out. Usually an output that is an RCA connection."

I have tried my best to find something like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14945
JV's post above is all you need to bring, Coral.

A receiver with pre-amp outs will work. Plus cables.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14829

You haven't provided any particulars to work with. I have no idea how many inputs you require or your budget, etc. That makes recommending anything a problem.

Try this unit for starters; http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAZPRE2

If that doesn't float your dingy, give them a call and ask for their recommendation. They're a reputable company that won't sell you junk just to peddle a box out the door. Any of their pre amps would be a good choice when you are not stating your specific requirements. They might also recommend another product, a receiver or integrated amp, that would serve your purpose once you begin discussing the subject with one of the "audio advisors".

If you need to do this on the real cheap, try Best Buy. They usually have an Insignia stereo receiver (includes the tuner) that sells for around $100. Last time I looked, that model had pre amp outputs.

If you want the best "deal", buy used ...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1277677477&/Rotel-rsp-976--ssp

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1277582688&/B-K-Components-Pro-10MC

Both of those companies are still in business should you require any service on the component. (I'd buy the B&K.)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us