Denon DP 59-L Turntable repair help needed

Username: Beardenr

Fort Washington, MD USA

Post Number: 1
I tried to replace the cartridge on my Denon DP 59-L turntable and did more harm than good. Does anyone know of a reliable turntable repair service in the D.C. Metropolitan area? I'll travel if needed but would like to stay in the DC, MD and VA area to get this service. Any info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Ron B

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14356
What happened Ron?

Username: Beardenr

Fort Washington, MD USA

Post Number: 2
HI Nuck,

I was given a cartidge that was not the original one for a Denon DP 59-L. I tried to install it anyway and ended up pulling the wiring all out of place to the point it needs to be replaced. At this point I need to call in the professionals who I'm sure would have replaced the cartridge with the original one for the DP59-L in the first place.

P.S. Help! My classic albums are getting lonely. LOL

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14338

Not many shops deal with turntables at this point and even fewer want to have a DP59 from 1982? as a liability. Rewiring a tonearm is a delicate job that I wouldn't want done by someone who has never attempted this before.

You can get in the Yellow Pages and call the shops in your area, otherwise having one of us know of a shop in your area seems rather remote.

If you can't find a shop in your town to do the work, get into a search engine with something on the order of "vintage audio repair" and you'll probably find someone you can ship the table to for repairs.

And there were no cartridges "original" to the Denon tables. So don't be concerned if someone suggests a different cartridge than you one that came with your table.

Gold Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1060
Jan/Nuck, what $$$ would you say is reasonable to put into a table like this? Some of these repairs can get pricey, although I would think rewiring an arm would not be that bad.

Ron, welcome.

http://www.sound-smith.com/repair2.htm

This may give you a rough idea of what the range might be, plus shipping of course. You might also call Mapleshade's tech line and see if they can recommend anyone locally. They are in MD.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14349

Most shops nowdays charge about $60-75 an hour flat rate for audio repairs. I would guess rewiring an arm would be about a 1 1/2 hour repair + parts. One problem is there are no stock parts from Denon for a 25 year old turntable. That means some creative exercises must be employed to complete this repair. I would put the final bill at $100-150 in most shops that would be wiling to take on the project.

Username: Mikey777

Post Number: 1
So Ron, what did you do about it ?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3759
If you're not having any luck with the yellow pages or google, call a hifi shop and ask them if they know anyone. Sometimes they have a guy who knows what he's doing and will take care of it. Other times they'll give you a name of a shop to call.

If all else fails, good new turntables can be found for reasonable prices. Pro-Ject, Rega, and Music Hall to name a few.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us