Amp for canton vento 809

Username: Derickosa

Post Number: 1
please i need help for making a choice of amp to buy for my new speaker'(canton,vento 809). please,i need a list of amplifiers that will go well with vento 809.thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14735
How were these speakers powered when you had a demo of them in the store?
You must have liked the setup enough to buy the speakers, why not the Integrated Amp that was being used?

Post Number: 2
when i bought it,it was tested with a denon receiver,but i need an amplifier not a receiver.please help me if u can,thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14736
What did you like about the sound that the denon contributed?
Were the speakers in a room that closely resembles your own?

Post Number: 3
its my first time,i dont have a amp.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 557
Nice looking speakers. It seems they were reviewed by Stereophile, though I don't know if this is the exact model you have. They measured a sensitivity of 92dB (which suggests a speaker easy to drive) but the impedance graph suggests one that isn't all that easy to drive. They recommend an amp rated at 4 ohms. To me this suggests you'll need a pretty powerful amp. I'm sure others here are better able to recommend some specific options. At the very least what comes to mind is a NAD C375 or C372. You'll have to tell us what kind of budget you have.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605canton/index4.html

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 951
Most HT receivers won't like the Canton.
the Impedance per StereoReview....thanks for link! is pretty good at 4->6 ohms. Phase angle is moderate which is a good thing.

In this case the speaker is a fairly easy load for any decent amp which will work into 4 ohms.

HT receivers need not apply.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14642

Pssssssst, ask how loud he listens and what are his musical tastes.

Most solid state amplifiers can produce a satisfactory amount of current at low to moderate volume levels. The impedance/phase issues are in a frequency band that wouldn't be seriously affected by certain types of music but will be hazardous with others. While the speaker averages four Ohms across its range the phase angle is reasonably stable around 0° and stays at less the 22° capacitive/inductive for most of its range. Its highest phase angle appears in the upper frequencies where the amount of wattage being delivered is insignificant.

At 92dB sensitivity, it won't require very many watts to play at moderate volumes in most rooms. Consider the average gain achieved by adding the second speaker of the pair ups the "in room" sensitivity another +3dB in the real world.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Put the numbers in and consider how loud this speaker will play with a 10 watt amplifier. "Power" is not the issue here, stability and good ventilation will be. The op will also want an amplifier with a low output impedance.

Set them in the window to blast while you pull weeds in the back yard ... that's a different story, eh, Nuck?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us