Receiver for Technics TT

Username: Randomostic

Brooklyn, NY US

Post Number: 1
Hi my name is Lise and I'm really a newbie to analog music. I thought all I needed was some vinyls and a turntable to play them. So I recently purchased a Technics SL-BD35 off eBay for like $60. Fully functioning, lights turn on and the table spins. What I didn't know was that it didn't have built-in speakers like my little vintage portable record player has so I figured I could use RCA cables and plug into the TV just to test out the sound. When I did that I heard a faint sound so I turned the TV volume all the way up to max and it was audible but still faint. Now I'm finding out that I need a receiver or amp or something. I don't know what any of that is and I'm hoping someone could help me with that. And if you could also provide me with some inexpensive receivers as well.

Thank you.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15830
Welcome to eCoustics Lise!

You must have a receiver with a magnetic phono input to make it working!

You can also buy a phono pre-amp, search on google for it!

Brooklyn, NY US

Post Number: 2
Would it be possible to connect the TT to my home theater receiver with the preamp? And where does the preamp go? In the AUX input?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15707

Lise, head up to the "Phono" section of the forum and read some of the existing threads; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/21.html. There should be answers for you there as this is a pretty common question. If you can't find what you want, ask again.

The basics are you need a receiver or an integrated amplifier and some speakers. The receiver/amplifier must have a phono "pre amp" or you will need to add an outboard pre amp to the receiver/amp. If you have an existing HT receiver, then an outboard phono pre amp will work and it will plug into your "Aux" input on the receiver. You should find links to phono pre amps in the "Phono" section of the forum.

Brooklyn, NY US

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15833
Lise

Use this one good for the price, not Hi-fi but good match for your TT!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeeJayPre

With this one you can use it on all receivers or directly in your TV input like a aux, audio input or tape input!

Simple to use: hook your TT in then use the output to your TV, HT or receivers!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us