I Need a New CD Player - Suggestions Please

Username: Gordon_tanner

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
A few years ago, I replaced the Rotel RCD-951 in my home entertainment system with an NAD C542. They're both great CD players, but I'm looking to upgrade again (I bought a second RCD-951 and now both 951s are part of my radio station set up - I do an on line progressive music show). I'd like a player with these things -

Upsampling
HDCD capability
A detachable power cord
A DAC that's 24 bit / 96 khz or better

I don't want a multi disc changer, or one that plays anything other than CDs and CDRs. I want a dedicated single disc CD player. I also don't want anything with a lot of bells and whistles. I'd prefer to spend my money on great sound, rather than on features that I don't need. As long as it's got a remote control and a pair of analog RCA outputs, that's all that I need. I don't want to spend more than $1500 Canadian. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Cheers.

PS - Does anyone have any idea why the NAD C565BEE doesn't have an HDCD chip? I find it strange that it doesn't, and yet the C542 and their flagship M5 do.

Obscure Clarity - Progressive Rock Radio - http://www.LG73.com

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 488
Lots of options in that price range. A lot of folks here love the Rega Apollo but I don't think it does HDCD (I could be wrong). The Naim CD-5i might squeeze in under $1500, but again, I don't think it does HDCD. Another that does NOT do HDCD is the Simaudio Moon CD.5. Ditto with the Cambridge Audio 640C and 740C players. You'll be throwing out some awfully good disk players by insisting on HDCD.

Some brands that make HDCD players are Rotel, Shandling, Eastern Electric, Vincent, Music Hall, Arcam, and many others.

What brands are most accessible to you in your area ?

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
Hey, Chris. Thanks for your response.

I have quite a few HDCD encoded discs, so, what the hell, I might as well get a player that can play them.

Arcam and Rotel are easily accessible here (Vancouver, BC). I don't know about the others, although I can do some checking.

Rotel makes decent stuff, but their only dedicated single disc CD player is the RCD-1072. It's really no better than the NAD C 542 I already own. As far as Arcam is concerned, are you sure that they still make a player with HDCD? I was under the impression that they'd discontinued those models.

One player that I've been looking at is the Cary CDP 1. It's a little more than I want to spend ($2000) and there's no local dealer, but it's been very well reviewed and has the features that I want. Any thoughts on it?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11503
What sucks about the 1072?

Its time to digital files man.
Start saving to file, in big formats, and yes, there are a lot of sound cards that do HDCD.

I will check your site, sounds like fun!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 490
You might be right about the Arcam. They used to offer it but I checked some of there newer models and no mention of it. The Cary is an excellent player. You could always go the pre-loved route to stay within your price range. Might even be able to go up a knotch in the Cary line for $1500 on the used market.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
Hey, Nuck. Nothing sucks about the RCD-1072. It's a good CD player. It's just that I want something a little better.

The thought of going with digital files overwhelms me a bit. No, I'm gonna stick with a CD player for now.

Thanks for checking out my show. LG73's regular format is adult contemporary, but they also have a number of specialty shows, which mine is. I play progressive rock, progressive metal and fusion. Please let me know what you think of it.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1738
Gordon, The digital file thing is easier than you might imagine if you go that route. Upgradable with an outboard DAC.

However else, follow Chris' input as it is valuable and on track. Go to this link, http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl , and then type in HDCD and click on search. Home free!

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 529
Might even be able to go up a knotch in the Cary line for $1500 on the used market.

308T and several 303/300's on A'gon at the moment. The 303/300's are more money, but both offer upsampling and HDCD plus remote and a few nice extras such as balanced outputs and volume control. They also make a 308 (no 'T'), that is SS output instead of tubed. The 303/300 offers both SS and tubed, switchable.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1238123666&/Cary-CD-308T-cary-96 khz/24bit-

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3538
For rock music, it's difficult to beat a Rega Apollo or Naim CD5i...

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 4
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I'm not going to go the digital file route at this time. Maybe down the road, but not now.

Audiogon is an excellent resource. I'd actually checked there before starting this thread and saw a lot of decent players. But, I wanted to try and narrow it down a bit more, so I thought that I'd ask here.

I haven't made a final decision yet. I took a serious look at the Cary CDP-1, but it's a bit out of my price range and it has some features that I don't need, like balanced outputs. I've narrowed it down to the Eastern Electric MiniMax, the Music Hall CD25.2 (if it plays HDCD discs - I've emailed MH and asked them) and, after re-thinking my position on it, the Rotel RCD-1072. Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Cheers.

NP - The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue

Username: Brownsound

Post Number: 3
Linn Ikemi!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9124
Late to the party my friend...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 420
At risk of being even LATER to the party, why not use a Wadia digital dock for Ipod, put your entire music library on that and let 'er rip?, so to speak.
I saw the dock at the local emporium and was mighty impressed. I may have to re-rip stuff in Apple Lossless.

Username: Layback

Post Number: 1
Yes, I'm looking to upgrade my cd player too. Right now I'm using a old Yamaha CDX-710. This guy who operates the music store I go to says I should get the new Cambridge azur 650 series. Does anyone know anything about it? Looks to be fairly new on the market.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 105
Chris, I still have my old CDX-710 in the basement(can't seem to part with it lol) but the Azur is a very nice CD player but first of all what receiver/amp & speakers are you using? I think that's a very important piece of info you left out, all receivers/amps have certain sound characteristics so matching the CD player with it can be crucial. I'll take my present system for example, I have a NAD receiver w/Paradigm Studios, I found this combo was on the neutral/smooth side (I'm sure my description could have been better) unlike my old Yamaha & B&W setup which was on the bright side(the CDX went very well with this setup). When I moved up to NAD w/Paradigm Studios I opted for a Music Hall with level 2 mods, the Music Hall is very crisp and clean and works together wonderfully with the NAD & Paradigm setup..
Hope this helps,,,, By the way, how many times have you had to replace the belt on the CDX lol.. I think I had to do it once every other year :-).. I really liked that CD player, actually stored the whole Yamaha/B&W w/CDX-710 system for a later use in a extra room or to give one of my kids when they get of age to appreciate a very nice system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us