A new CD player?

Username: Layback

Post Number: 3
Hello people,
I'm wanting to try and improve the sound from my CD player. Right now the setup I'm getting the best sound from is my DVD recorder/player (Panasonic DMR-EZ28) going through the HDMI cable to my TV then to my quite old reciever (JVC RX-315) which goes to my new speakers. (Paradigm Focus v.3) I'm trying to figure out if a dedicated single CD player will sound better. I have coming to me through ebay a Yamaha CDX-710 and also a CDX-820. I brought these to get a idea how a player will sound without going through the HDMI cable and flat screen tv. (it does make it sound much better) A salesman wants to sell me a Cambridge azur 650. Does anyone have a idea what I should do?

Post Number: 4
Hello again,
What's this I'm reading about a playstation 1 being a good CD player? somebodys saying it's equal to a $6,000.00 player? Can that be true? I admit that I am very unexperienced about all this stuff, but I'd like to learn as much as possible. Does anyone know about the Yamaha CD players that I have coming to me soon? (the CDX-710 and CDX-820) From what I've read, they were very good back in thier day. In fact I read a post where a guy brought a Cambridge Azur 540 V2 and said his old Yamaha sounded much better. This salesman at my local music store claims I'll be very happy with the Azur 650 single cd player. Any help out there?

Post Number: 5
Back again,
Just reading a bit about this Emotiva ERC-1, I'm a bit impressed. My system as it is now is very bass heavy so it would be ok if the bass is a little light from the player.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 419
There was some buzz in recent years about the PlayStation being a great CDP, that was for one particular model of the original PlayStation. You have to look at the serial number to determine if you have the right one. I never tried it myself, others have, and from what I gather it's not bad for a games console but it definitely isn't a $6,000 CD player, and I'm sure it's no $700 CD player either (like the CA 650).

I'm not sure I can help you much...I've never heard anything by Emotiva, I have heard Cambridge gear and I like it. Cambridge has many fans and gets good pro reviews as well. If I had to guess I'd say it's the best player of the group you mentioned, but you'd have to hear it in your own system to know for sure that it will work well with your other gear.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3410
No comment on the Emotiva stuff, but I own Cambridge Audio (640C) and I really like it.

Dan is right about the Playstation, it's one particular model and even then other reviews I've read have said it's really nothing all that special. Why spend all this money to have a nice rack of gear and then add in pawn shop article of junk?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14147
The particular model was v1, and production numbers below 10000 or something.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3593
The Playstation was nothing special to my ears. I had one when it was the current gaming system. I had it hooked up to my stereo and also temporarily used it as my CD player.

I bought an NAD CD changer which ran circles around it. I think it was model 1001 or something like that. The original with RCA outputs on the back.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3413
There ya go.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1071
I've tried the Sony gen#1 PS as well against a Samsung DVR. It outperformed the Samsung in the bass and has less jitter but that was it - nothing special in terms of detail and transparency. My PS3, hooked up via HDMI and upscaled outperformed the PS1 expecially from a detail and transparency perspective. The PS3 is a decent CDP but from my experience would not compete with anything over $400 on the market now. Plus, to be honest, I hate to have a CDP without a display, and none of the PS have them.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3421
My Sony BDP actually does a respectable job of CD playback. I'd rather that than PS1 on my rack. Call me a snob...

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2743
Actually, I have previously stated the Oppo BD-83 didn't do cd that well. I had used the wrong inputs into my pre and yesterday I changed into the direct (shortest path) inputs and I was very surprised with what I heard. Somewhere beweeen the NAD540 and the Apollo imo.

I wonder what the SE version would sound like?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 438
I'm trading in some of my old gear for the CA 650BD this weekend. I will compare it to a standalone CDP for sure, eventually.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14166
Consumer reports put the Oppo DB83 at the top of the heap for consumer stuff, but called it pricey in Canada.

Post Number: 6
Hello,
I recieved the two Yamaha cd players this week ad the CDX-820 plays good and sounds really good compared to what I was using, but the CDX-710 has a problem. It turns on, the tray opens and closes, but it won't read or play any cd I put in there. I opened it up and found that the won't spin. A couple times I got it to spin for a bit, it would start reading the disk and then it would stop spining. Does that mean the CD drive motor is shot? Does anyone know if it can be fixed?
Thanks,
Chris

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14169
Everything CAN be fixed, Chris, it is up to you to justify the fix.
I don't play with fixing cdp's beyond what you have done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us