I have brought Rega Saturn home!

Username: Alan25

United States

Post Number: 2
Waited for weeks and finally received my Rega Saturn (insisted to wait for Silver and it was backorder). After opening the box - a little disappointed ~ I thought Silver Saturn is pure silver in colour and should look cool and matching with my NAD M3. However, only the front plate is silver but the body is somewhat between gray and silver.

Looked at the back of the CD player ~ It was manufactured in Aug 2009 ~ happy :-)

I played a system burn-in CD for about 6 hours and then play my first cd ~ a little disappointed since I cannot hear sigificant improvement to my Apollo.

But I have to be fair, since my Apollo has been run for 500+ hours and I have recently replace the fuse with a nice furutech. But at least for now Saturn did not offer the "details" I was expecting ~ will give some time.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11257
Give it a few days to warm up, do not turn it off. Make sure the display is off when listening. Let it run in for 100 hrs before judging. If at that point you don't hear a difference...well I don't know what to say. The difference is significant to me, YMMV.

Username: Alan25

United States

Post Number: 3
Thanks Art. Will do. Do I have to keep playing the system burn-in CD? Or just leaving the Saturn ON is good enough?

BTW, I just realized my Apollo remote can be used to control Saturn Is that normal?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11260
Leaving it on will keep it warmed up but to burn it in you'll need to play it. I don't play any burn in discs, I just play music like always...the rest will take care of itself.

The remote is the same for the Apollo and Saturn and are interchangeable.

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 65
An early Christmas ..
One more happy owner
aint life just grand?

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1057
Happy Saturn, once again. Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2225
Alan, as you play your CDs 7 X 24 you do not have to have the volume on, the amps and pre-amp could be off altogether for that matter. After about two weeks you will have a clear understanding of the differences between the Apollo and Saturn or else you will need to look at what else in your kit is the limiting factor IMO.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13932
It's a peach!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11265
And keep in mind that playing it 24/7 is optional. Certainly breaks it in faster but I've never done it and that works as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13934
Waiting for a call back from a dealer....

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11266
For what Mr Nuck? Are ya joining the club?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2640
What sort of dealer is the question.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11272
You have a point MR...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13940
The Apollo is starting to get kinda wonky, plays random tracks and stops sfter some cuts, sometimes.
The dealer says the best deals on a Saturn are gone, I will shop a little more.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 396
How old is your Apollo, Nuck? Is the Rega promotion over?

My Saturn skips sometimes while playing (it doesn't happen often, maybe once per listening session), and choosing songs via the remote is kinda wonky. It'll go to some other song than the one I've chosen - again this doesn't happen a ton. I find that once it acts this way you can't get it to react to a command properly. I have to stop the disc entirely and then start again. Seems that others people online complain about the same sort of things. Still in warranty of course, I'm going to contact my dealer too.

I don't want to leave it, and have worse problems down the road when the warranty has expired. 'course, the Saturn still sounds phenomenal.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13955
The Apollo is over 3 yrs old now. thats 21 in cdp years?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13956
I remember now that it sometimes adviseable to UNPLUG the rega if it gets loopy.
2 hrs did the trick last time.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2645
Most components with software need to be unplugged for a while if playing up - that's the first course of action. The second is taking it to your dealer. The third is seeing how it flies.

Have had absolutely no issues with the Saturn, nor with the previous Apollo SE and Apollo.

And the Saturn sounds like it has been touched by the angels.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11286
My Apollo is older yet...it clicks when a cd starts up, other than that it has it's usual quirks, nothing new. Still sounds excellent and functions fine...knock on wood!

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 398
I guess I'll try unplugging mine first, before I bother my dealer.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 970
Are you guys listening to yourselves:

"a little disappointed "

"starting to get kinda wonky, plays random tracks and stops sfter some cuts"

"My Saturn skips sometimes while playing (it doesn't happen often, maybe once per listening session), and choosing songs via the remote is kinda wonky."

"I remember now that it sometimes adviseable to UNPLUG the rega if it gets loopy.
2 hrs did the trick last time."

"...it clicks when a cd starts up, other than that it has it's usual quirks"

Oh well, as long as you like 'em.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2663
Anything with software can be quirky Neil. And quality stuff isn't always without faults.

Ask any honest Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Maserati, Lotus, Bugatti, Lamboughini, Bentley, Jaguar mechanic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11338
You seem to believe that the Rega's are unique. Just a few foibles from the previous half dozen cd players I've owned. The NAD's have a microprocessor that it's advised to unplug for several hrs from time to time. It once lost it's mind and had to be taken to the repair shop as it wouldn't operate, turned out to be microprocessor problem I mentioned. My Audio Refinement had distortion in a specific frequency range that made it difficult to listen to and I could go on and on. Kevin Corr couldn't listen to his Cambridge 640 because it made so much noise operating, my Rotel does the same on some discs. Geez Neil it's a mechanical device with a microprocessor it will have quirks...oh and wasn't it David that had the Mac that wouldn't work right...some reason you don't like the Rega's or just feel like chiming in from time to time.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2664
I've had my Saturn upside down, on it's side, on it's other side, plugged in, unplugged quite a few times and not once has it played up.

I'll tell ya what Neil - right now I wouldn't trade it for anything . . .

. . . because it get the music right.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2665
And as much as I like the Cary, I'll bet some have had quirks with them too.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2230
Would I not have to worry about the processor stopping during initialization or if I too quickly change my mind about what I want the unit to do if I spend 2 1/2 to 4 times to money it cost me to buy the Saturn on a better CDP? By better I mean where it will sound more pleasing or analog than the Saturn does.

Not really. Most of the processing issues incurred with any processor if not user generated, like I referred to above by issuing counter intuitive directions to the unit in rapid succession, will be a result of the power coming out of the wall. Power anomalies are the bane of all processors and are not just related to CDPs.

Since I added my Audio Magic Stealth Matrix I have not had one issue with the Saturn. Probably the same thing could be true for M.R. since he added his Thor.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11343
Well said, Mike.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13986
" We fixed that"

Uh huh.

I bought mama a Magnavox cdpabout 12 years ago, for 49$.
It never ever skipped or missed, never needed a battery for the remote and always played very quietly....all the while sounding like a 49$ Magnavox cdp.

Yeah, I think a 1000$ cdp should be bullitproof as well, but electronics kinda get in the way sometimes.
Never have to reboot the pc?
Never have to stop and start the car?
Never have to power down the cell phone?

Control, alt, delete?
Abort, retry, fail?

Unplug the SOB and put it in the corner for a spell.
That'll teach em!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us