Linn LP12 set up

Username: Vermontster

Post Number: 1
Hello, I recently purchased this table from my long time record store. LINN lp12, BASIC Plus tone arm and an Audio Technica 440ML cartridge. It was professionally set up 3 years ago. It sounds great.

I hear this is a table that requires a lot of setting up, I'm fine with that. I'm hear for the long haul.

The problem is I'm broke and I'm guessing it's time for another professional tune up. Will I do any damage to the table or my vinyl by not getting a tune up?

Thank you very much for your time.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14157

Assuming the table is in operational order, no, you won't danage anything but your LP's will sound less than great. Linn set up really isn't for the inexperienced though everyone must gaine their experience at some point. Usually this is best acquired under the tutilage of someone familiar with Linn set up.

Post Number: 2
Thank you JV for your response. This is good to know.

If I were to have my local dealer who is expierienced with Linn and is 90 minutes away calibrate the table, what would be the next logical upgrade or the the biggest bang for the buck?

Thank you for your time.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14159

I have no idea. I depends on your system and your priorities. It is also heavily influenced by just what qualities you pay attention to.

No matter what though good set up, including excellent isolation of a Linn, is essential to hearing the best the table has to offer. If you haven't explored proper installation techniques for the Linn, that's where I would start you off. Of course, if the stylus is worn or damaged, then that should take precedent.

Post Number: 4
Isolation and a check up for the stylus and table will be first on my list.

Thank you JV.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13849
And reliable, shock resistant transportion, having the platter and armboard removed...
Same on return, remember, so learning would be grand.

These tables are lifetime keepers for some folks, so consider the investment?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2202
Nuck, wouldn't removing the armboard potentially foul the leveling and balancing of the tonearm?

Also the platter is two-piece and both should be removed prior to transportation. The table should never be tilted or shifted off of level during transport to the extent it could be avoided.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13854
Thats why investing in a little training would help I think, Mike, so VM can do some of this repeatably.

Post Number: 5
Thanks everyone. I found this informative LP12 page. http://www.n.mackie.btinternet.co.uk/linn/tlp12faq.html#setuptt The journey has begun.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13863
It is a difficult table.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13864
Amend that to an 'involving and lively' table, with ala carte intricacies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us