ONKYO 2 Zone receiver TR-SR608

Username: Spock28

Post Number: 1
Recently I purchased Onkyo TR-SR608 receiver, along with JAMO A101 5.1 speakers, though the speakers are compact and for entry level its ok for watching movies, i wish to use ZONe-2 connections to add 2.1 stero speakers for listening music / audio.
Is it advisable to buy additional speakers for audi and connect it to zone 2 of receievr for listening to music in the same room

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15949

From what I can gather of your post, you want to have both a stereo pair of speakers (with a sub) in the same room as your home theater system's speakers and subwoofer? To begin with, Zone 2 out of your amplifier doesn't operate the subwoofer connected to the HT speaker system. That would mean either another sub in the same room or dispensing with the sub in the music system. Are you sure you want to do this?

Post Number: 2
for audio i prefer the old simple stero, sound comming from front left & right (2 channels) and use the sub that comes with 5.1

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15984

You can use zone two to set up a two channel system in another room. You would need to buy a stereo pair of speakers and a sub for that system. You can't run the 5.1 sub through zone two.

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 570
cant you just switch the Onkyo to "stereo"

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16148

Yes, he could do that switching but the question is, does he want to? Depending on his expectations the op might or might not be satisfied with the reproduction quality of straight two channel music played through an AVR.

The 5.1 sub would operate when switched to "stereo" so he wouldn't have to double up on subwoofers. But, as I read it, that wasn't the original question. The question of using zone two to arrive at stereo in the same room was the question. Zone two does not include the sub output and is typically used to extend audio into another area of the house as I suggested in my last post. Therefore, zone two wouldn't be a good choice for a two channel system in the same room with the HT system.

I was rather hoping someone else would come along to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of listening to two channel music reproduction through an AVR. But that didn't happen. So while the op could use his existing HT system in "stereo" mode, my personal preference and recommendation would be to establish a discrete two channel system dedicated to music in another location in the house.

Gold Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 1349
Raj, if you are going to use zone 2 for music, you'll need a stereo power amp. If you plan to use a sub this way, you'll need a seperate sub and you'll have to connect it at speaker level. You might want to consider putting the music speakers and sub in another room if it's at all feesable to do so. Something to think about.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all your replies , though helpful i ve some doubts would help if someone can clatrify it
1. Is there any diffrence if i use this ampi (onkyo 608- my 1st ampi) instead of exclusively stero ampi to listen to stero music.
2. I prefer listening to Stero music most of the times, and only occasionaly when i see movies i feel the need for 5.1 channel.
3. I need to keep my system ( music and TV in one room only) ie my drawing room.
4. I would like to keep my stero sytem(speakers Wharefiled & JBL) seperate from 5.1 speakers (packed set off -Jamo speakers)
5. stero speakers have higher RMS (150 watts each ) than my 5.1 spekakers (75 watss each) excld sub woofer.
6. can I connect seperate powered Sub for stero if required ( i am happy listening to my stero without sub ) has good crossover to take care !!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16163

"1. Is there any diffrence if i use this ampi (onkyo 608- my 1st ampi) instead of exclusively stero ampi to listen to stero music."

No one can tell you what you cannot hear or perceive. Differences and improvements in audio quality are two drastically dissimilar items and one does not automatically include nor exclude the other. You should listen to a few systems with higher quality components before you decide where your priorities land. If the budget allows for higher quality components, you will, for the most part, get what you pay for if you make fundamentally musical choices. Whether you are attuned to those improvements or can become attuned to those improvements is not a question we can answer for you. Go listen.

"3. I need to keep my system ( music and TV in one room only) ie my drawing room.
4. I would like to keep my stero sytem(speakers Wharefiled & JBL) seperate from 5.1 speakers (packed set off -Jamo speakers)"

That makes for a rather crowded room set up and will undoubtedly disfavor the best quality music reproduction from your stereo speakers. Once again, I cannot tell you what you cannot perceive nor can I prejudge just how well your "music system" can perform with two channel signals. The basic set up along with the placement within the room will play a very large part in the quality of music reproduction. If you do not care to or do not have the capacity to set the system up for the highest quality music playback, then nothing else really matters as the quality of reproduction will always, to some extent, be compromised when compared to the real thing. In high end audio, that is always the comparison - against the real thing or against live music. No one here will insist you must own and appreciate a "high end" music system. You get to decide where your priorities tell you you should be. If you decide a mid fi level - generally receiver based and far better than a HT in a box system - is good for you, then that's where you should stay and put your money, time, effort and room space into some other worthy enterprise. Therefore, it's impossible for us to tell you whether you will notice any improvements by (not) doing what you propose. If you read the archives of this section of the forum, you'll find numerous members who have made the attempt to maintain both music and video sourced systems in the same room. Personally, I gave up on that idea more than two decades ago but I doubt everyone would appreciate the results of either of my systems - my personal priorities do not always paddle down the mainstream of audio or video. If your basic priorities are no more than "tight bass, clear mids and clean highs", then the set up you propose is workable. If, on the otherhand, you are desirous of "three dimensional soundstaging", "the palpable presence of musicians in the room", "evocative musical communication between players", etc., then having another system (along with all the attendant equipment in the same room) with the music system will start you off with one foot in a cast. Go listen to a higher quality system at a decent independent audio shop - not a big box or any shop with two dozen speakers and receivers lining the walls of the demo room - and that experience should inform your decisions about system set up in your own room. Take a few CD's to a shop where they display one system and one system only in a demo room and listen to the results of higher quality components and decent set up.

"5. stero speakers have higher RMS (150 watts each ) than my 5.1 spekakers (75 watss each) excld sub woofer."

Ignore all wattage specs on loudspeakers. They are irrelevant to anything you actually need to know and are meant only as marketing tools employed against the uninformed consumer.

"6. can I connect seperate powered Sub for stero if required ( i am happy listening to my stero without sub ) has good crossover to take care !!

You can but I don't understand why you would want to nor do I understand the multiple exclamation marks behind your sentence. As has been pointed out, switching the system into "stereo" mode - either by your manipulation of the DSP processing system or by the automatic selection by the receiver to a pure two channel input - will include the subwoofer output. You can play two channel music through several DSP modes which will allow for more than two speakers to be active, you know? Since you do not suggest any other components in the system, you will be using the Onkyo, no? When presented with a stereo only input the receiver will typically default to a DSP mode like "Dolby Digital music" (five speakers plus sub) which you would then have to switch to a pure "stereo" mode to have only two speakers and the sub active. Either way, that would, by neccessity, mean the sub will be included in the system anytime the source player is outputting low frequency information. What am I missing?

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=1&post=1952075#POST1952075

Post Number: 4
thanks!! for your forthright reply being a novice excuse my dense doubts @ times.
max capacity of amp is600 wats @ 6 ohms hence if i use my JBL +
wharfedale if i use 5.1 system it will exeed the threshold and increases the probability of amp getting heated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354
Raj, may I ask why the movie and music systems both have to be in the same room?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 16179

"max capacity of amp is600 wats @ 6 ohms hence if i use my JBL +
wharfedale if i use 5.1 system it will exeed the threshold and increases the probability of amp getting heated."

Why do you say that? The numbers you refer to have no real meaning and are more issues of marketing. Consider several things here; first, what any component does on a static test bench is not relevant to its real world music performance off the test bench.

There are strict objectivists who will stridently inform you that is incorrrect and test numbers are all you need. I won't get into that debate here since you can and should do some research into how tests are conducted and then draw your own conclusions about the relevance of tests and the meager amount of information they provide.

The concept of "6 Ohms" is IMO worthless as virtually no speaker and certainly no speaker system with more than a single driver will be a consistent impedance across its entire frequency bandwidth. Included in the load shown the amplifier by the speaker system is the electrical phase angle of the complete system. The impedance and the phase angle play against each other and can either mitigate the severity of a low impedance load or make the entire situation far worse than than a single impedance number would indicate.

The amplifier spec taken at a "6 Ohm" load indicates the manufacturer is playing games with numbers. Direct coupled amplifiers - solid state receivers - will almost always produce higher wattage when working into a lower impedance load resistor (as found on a typical test bench) until they reach their physical limit to produce current. At that point they blow up unless they are current limited by the designer. Current limiting is a bad idea when you are trying to accomplish higher quality sound reproduction. But it makes the on-paper numbers look better to the novice.

My advice is to simply ignore most specs provided by manufacturers. They've been at this game far longer than you have and they know how to make numbers look anyway they care to have them appear.

Here's the most basic rule you need to follow. When the amp begins to heat up, turn down the volume. When the sound begins to distort, turn down the volume.

There are lots more common sense rules you should learn to have a successful system. Read the forum archives and IMO you'll obtain a fairly good education in how audio works.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/680435.html

A good read!

Post Number: 5
My special thanks to Jan Vigne for his lucid reply which has been much more informative and practical than most of the sites and books ive read on accoustics.
To Superjazzy I nomally listen to music and at times i watch TV I never use both at the same time, hence i prefer to keep both in the same room rather than shift one to my bedroom ( i live in 2 room apartment). I ve a mini hifi in the bedroom which is good enough for nocturnal listening.

Thanks for the replies !! will definatley post once i assemble and get it going!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1377
Ok Raj, talk to you then!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us