Which integrated Amp for AR speaker ?

Username: Kou

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody ! I'm new here. I have a pair of AR speaker, here are the specifications :
Acoustic Resarch
Model : AR-999-HR
3 way-loudsdeaker
Freq. Res : 23 - 24000HZ +- 2db
Dome tweeter : 1"
Midrange : 4"
Long throw woofer : 8"
Sénitivity (2.83V/1M): 91db
Nominal impedance: 8ohms
Power rating : 20-150 Watts
Cross. Freq : 250Hz, 35000HZ
I'm currently using an Onkyo integrated amplifier A-9711 to use with those speaker but the bass is not strong enough for me.
Could you please recommend me some Integrated Amps for this AR speaker? Thanks in advance!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13762

Why do you think swictcing out the amplifier will cause the bass to be "stronger"?

Post Number: 2
The power of the Onkyo amp is just 250 W, I think it is not enough for the AR speaker, so I want to change to another amp. Could you give me some advices? I really appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 632
Ah yes, the ol' I-don't-have-enough-bass problem. Sounds familiar.

How big is the room the speakers are in ? Where are the speakers placed (with respect to front and side walls) ? What type of flooring, furnishings, and sound treatments do you have in the room ?

250W should be waaaaaay more than you need for 91db speakers.....at least in most cases. The problem may very well not be the amp (as Jan implied).

You have the xover frequencies at 250 and 35000. Is that a typo ? Is it 3500 or 35000 ?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13763

You've exceeded the power rating on your speakers by 75% and yet you think you need more power just to get "stronger" bass!

Move the speakers into the corners of your room and you'll have "stronger" bass.

(The 250Hz is probably correct for this speaker. The midrange crossover was placed intentionally low rather than at a point where it divides the range of the human voice. 3500Hz would be extremely high for the low to mid crossover of a three way system and rather low for the mid to high frequency point of a three way.)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12989
If the speaker system is designed for that crossover, the bass driver is operating in a very broad range, likely sacrificing low end delivery.
Despite the optomistic 23Hz blurb, the delivery at that heady point may be -12db, or some other figgur, justifying the legal requirements of advertising.
Get a sub.

Post Number: 3
@ Chris H : Oh, my bad, it is 3500Hz. The size of the room is
5 meter wide and 10 meter long. The floor is made of brick bed. Here are the drawing of the room.

[URL=http://img216.imageshack.us/i/21943641.jpg/][IMG]http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7973/21943641.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Post Number: 4
@ Jan Vigne : Thank you! But I think there's no free space in the room to change the position of the speaker, and one of the speaker has been in the corner already.
@Nuck : Thank for your advice ! Getting a sub could help to boost the bass but I want to make the system simple.
How about a Denon, Marantz or Carver amplifier? I heard that with a proper power, those amps could suit the AR speaker perfectly.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13765

So you simply want more bass?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12992
Whatever you think 'better' speakers are, the room is still going to choke them, KB.
I and likely all of us, have heard midrange, stupidly cheap, or highend stuff sound, it's like the room tells it what to sound like.
And good stuff can sound bad. I mean bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us