Integrated amp/preamp: Music Hall Trio

Username: Gamelanneal

Post Number: 3
I'm starting a system with EPOS ELS mini speakers (4ohm)
with a Music Hall Trio integrated amp/preamp receiver (50 wpc). I like
the simplicity in the Trio and my listening is mostly Classical and
Javanese Gamelan. However the EPOS minis are not knocking me out. I
will give them some more time but in the meanwhile, I'm gonna bring
the system to some Minneapolis dealers to listen to some Totem
Dreamcatchers with the Trio, and I'd like to hear the Magnaplanar wall
mounted speakers as well. Any suggestions out there? I don't need
deafening loudness, but a live, full sound that will do justice to
Mahler 8 and deep gong sounds.
I didn't know I was an audiophile until I tried building a system,
and well, there's worse things to be addicted to.
-Neal

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8985
I started out the replies over in speakers, many more to come I'm sure. You do need to know that the speakers you are looking at and that I've recommended are not full range. None will do full justice and wring all of the goodies from the Mahler 8...not happening. There are some efficient floorstanders by Paradigm and other that will get you more bass but at considerable cost to sound quality. Have you considered a sub...

I recommended the Rega RS1 on the speaker thread but I actually think that the RS3 would be perfect. Nice tight bass and an open sound. The are a very small footprint floorstanding speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2140
Didn't you own a pair of Epos at some point Art?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3185
How do you know its the Epos that's not doing it for you? I definitely wouldn't charecterize anything made by Music Hall as exciting. The Epos speakers I've heard have always been very involving.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8991
I still do own a pair of Epos. The ELS 3 is a very involving speaker but it never sounds bigger than it really is. So for someone looking for orchestral crescendo's to sound full and rich the ELS 3's just don't come close. For Small combo jazz and chamber music they are very good and even for pop if you don't need bass below 60hz.

Stu, you hit the nail on the head as far as I can see...the Music Hall Trio is just a flat (not in a good sense, meaning uncolored) sounding piece of gear and no speaker will bring to it to life IMO. However if you just bought it and are determined to keep it the Rega speakers will present the Trio with an easy enough load and a little bigger and less strained sound...just my opinion. We have another fella facing a similar situation with the NAD Viso (I think that's what it's called).

Username: Gamelanneal

Post Number: 4
All good comments. I've concluded that there's a big improvement using the EPOS ELS minis with a more solid receiver than Music Hall Trio (50wpc). At a local store here in Minneapolis, I listened to them with good NAD components and the EPOS's sounded great. The CD player on the Trio sounds excellent, but the radio quality sounds small. Drat, cause I listen to a lot of radio.

So, perhaps there's a good HD radio plus integrated amp out there that I can tie in with a good CD player to round out my ideal 2 channel system. Denon has the DRA697, any others that people know of? I really liked the NAD stuff at my dealer's store.
-Neal
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us