Bryston SP1.7 Pre/Pro

Bronze Member
Username: Darrenmc

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 78
I was just wondering if anyone has owned or owns this Pre/Pro and what they think of it? I just traded in my Arcam AVR300 for a use Bryston SP1.7, as I've never tried seperates. No I'm no superior Audiophile but to me there is no comparison, it blows away the Acram AVR300 in every aspect which I found to be a nice piece of equipment. I realize the price diff is significant and so it should be.

The reason I'm asking for comments is simply because I was reading on another forum a topic about the "Best Sounding Pre/Pros in Different Price Ranges" and the Anthem and Bryston Pre/Pro's were ripped by the OP, here's what he said "If music is a priority avoid all Anthem processors. They are bright, flat sounding and the antithesis of proper reproduction. Bryston are also not a particularly good choice the 1.7 and 2 are not good sounding processors. The analogue sections are flat and grainy sounding and as a DAC they are very much lacking."

Just wondering what other people think? The rest of my gear is a Moon CD-1 CD player, Sherbourn 5250A Multi-Channel amp, and Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1's and AV centre. Amy comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1373
Why did you buy the Bryston?

How does it sound to you?

Didn't you demo it before you bought it?

I do not see what other people think has to do with how it sounds to you DM.

How many watt does your amp put out in 2-channel mode? I have the Gallo Ref. 3.1s also and find that they really shine with more power. By that I mean 300 watts make them sound a lot better than 80 watts can.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
I bought the Bryston because I wanted to try separates as all I've ever had is A/V receivers. It's sounds pretty good to me. No I didn't demo it, went purely off the advice of my dealer friend who i've been dealing with 20+ years. This was posted because the guys comments were pretty harsh and I was wondering what other people's experiences were with the SP 1.7, if they had opposite or similar thoughts? To me it still betters my old Arcam AVR300.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1379
Sometimes you have to take post with a grain of salt. He could have been a NAD dealer and Bryston might be eating his lunch for all you know.

Looks like you've been at this a while and you have some really good gear. Trust yourself and enjoy.

It's only your experience that counts.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1673
Darren- My personal experience with both Anthem(ive heard all their pre) and Bryston(also have heard all of their pre amps) is that I would totally disagree with everything he said. The Anthem stuff is warm, with a nice wide sound stage. Their stuff is robust sounding and is quite good. The Bryston stuff is so far away from being grainy its scary. Its crystal clear, robust, dynamic, with so much drive it will give you heart palpitations. Yes the 1.7 from Bryston is a very very nice pre amp. It will, and should sound much better than the Arcam. And pretty much any other solid state, multi-channel pre amp on the market IMO. Trust your ears. Not some guys opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2910
I agree with what Mike and Nick posted. There are a bunch of different opinions about Bryston. Some say its bright and grainy, some so its warm and bloated, and everything in between.

Truth is, they're all right and wrong at the same time. Bryston is VERY neutral and revealing. Generally, when people bash it, its usually something else in the system. Most often the source.

The best any amplification can hope to do is amplify the signal its been given. If its given a bad signal, it'll sound bad; Garbage in = garbage out.

I've heard a Bryston B100 sound warm, laid back, bloated and slow. It was connected to a Marantz SA-11S2 CD player. After switching to a Bryston BCD-1, it was like a totally new system.

Also, Nick and Mike are right - forget what anyone else thinks. You know your ears better than anyone else does.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
I totally agree with you guys 100%. I always make my own judgements. Stu, Do you own the Bryston BCD-1 as I may look at purchasing one down the road? What are your thoughts on this player? I like my Simaudio a lot but maybe the Bryston synergy would be better? Thanks guys for your input.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1677
I would easily live with your Simaudio cd player.lol. Let us know when you sell it. The Bryston cd player is very very nice but a little expensive. Worth the money? Probably.

Stu has a Rega Apollo, as well do a lot of us on this forum, including myself. To check our profiles, click on our names.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2915
Nick is correct, I don't have a BCD-1. I heard it paired up with a Bryston B100, and some Bryston seperates. Its an excellent player IMO. If I had $2700 to spend on a CD player, I'd A/B it against a Naim CD5x (which costs about $3k).

I haven't heard your Sim player, but I've heard higher end Sim players. They've all been excellent and worth every penny. I can't imagine the Moon CD-1 would be able to compete with a BCD-1 due to the price difference - $1500 vs $2700 isn't exactly a fair fight.

If you want to upgrade your CD player, Music Direct has the Simaudio Equinox SE for $1700, which is a steal IMO.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/brand.php?catFilter=29&b=SIMAUDIO+MOON&d=

Its not better than the BCD-1, but its pretty close, and will save you $1K.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Thanks Stu for the info. That price on the Simaudio Equinox SE is pretty tempting!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10581
DM, check for a Classe cd-1 at the same time.
Exceptioally smooth player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Nick K,
The Simaudio(Moon) CD-1 unit is now up for sale at Canuckudiomart.

Username: 900ss

Post Number: 7
Bryston equipment works best with equipment it was designed to work with perferably another bryston, but there are exceptions. What was the setup for these ignorant remarks? Ya know excellent mud tires are crap if the fronts are allweathers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1901
Hey Brewster, I have almost the same Pre/Pro setup as you. How does it sound with the Rainmakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us