Infinity Infinitesimal IV

Username: Trsj37

Post Number: 1
Nearly two years ago, I obtained 10 pairs of the Infinity Infinitesimal satellite speakers, with mounts, from a local store that had gone out of business. Here is my review after listening to them for over 18 months.

FIRST:

The design, quality of materials, the housing, metal screen with rubber gasket, logo, and overall construction, reflected the excellent characteristics of all that Infinity had become at
the top of their game in 1993. This was at a time when "name brand" companies produced, affordable speaker systems (to us mere mortals), available in, what was then, a highly competative market. Those at the top were the likes of Bose, Infinity, JBL, Polk, including Cerwin Vega and Klipsch to name a few. Having owned, in the past, all of the speaker systems listed in the above various models, I dare
include my impression of the Infinity Infinitesimal IV units.
My system consists of an ONKYO TX-SR602 7 channel AV Receiver, Convergent Audio Technology (CAT) tube pre-amp, and two Infinity SSW-210 Subwoofers in black.

The Infinity IV's are installed, using the "bullet proof" Infinity brackets, just below the ceiling, all around the room for the complete 7 channel experience. The flexibility of the "ball and socket" mount options, AND the included safety cable (now that's detail!) means Infinity did their homework.

The "pink noise" microphone assembly which came with the ONKYO Receiver, helped me to set up a base line EQ settting. It only served as a baseline to start with, and I spent MANY days "tweaking" each indivildual speaker, due to the sound dynamics of the room, and based upon various CD's, Movies etc. Once set, the speakers absolutley came alive in all genres of video/audio!!!

SOUND:

The "Emit-R" tweeter is one of the finer additions to Infinitys' flag ship "Emit" line. In this model, it performs extremely well. Highs are crisp, you can hear the sharp "cling" of the swords when watching "Pirates of the Caribean," the aquos, liquid sounds of "Finding Nemo," and the bullets as they riquochett off the walls in "The Matrix." The speakers respond well to various sources, and are even able to make average broadcast sources, such as local news channels or TV shows sound good. I stress, however, load a DVD or CD in your player and these speakers "haul the mail!"
I have not been kind to these speakers, and have driven them HARD! I'll never "baby sit" a speaker system (go hard or go home)!! Metallica, Incubus, Jack Johnson, Seal, The Executioners, Public Enemy, Breaking Benjamin, the list goes on, and these speakers beg for more!!
The midrange driver sounds full, clean, with a generous amount of bass, due to composite materials and solid sonic contruction. The well placed port in the rear of the cabinet contributes to a smooth sound without port noise or "boominess."

FLEXIBILITY:

If your "equipment" has an on board EQ, the speakers respond extremely well to adjustments, to compensate for room size and dynamics. Left unchanged, the speakers fill the room with unadulterated sound.

SUMMARY:

Overall, I have not been dissappointed in the performance of the speakers, and feel that they ROCK! It's unfortunate that the local "big box stores" only pump out "assembly line trash" these days, and the quality has gone out of the door as fast as their products do, but hopefully "joe public" will wake up soon and the demand will once again swing to tru HI-FI. Until then, I'll buy "the old classics" in a minute, and take the Pep_i challenge with any of the off the shelf crap any day. All of us can critcize the performance of many speakers depending upon preference or personal experience, which is well justified, however overall, as someone who appreciates premium sound and performance, I feel that Infinity built an excellent affordable speaker system with the Infinitesimal IV series!

Happy Listening!!!

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 882
"Nearly two years ago, I obtained 10 pairs..."

What on earth would you do with 10 pairs of these speakers?}}

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2693
"What on earth would you do with 10 pairs of these speakers?"

Upload
Upload

That's what you do with 10 pairs of speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1245
return of andy summers!! ahhhh!!

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 699
LOL.....thanks Stu.

And Cocoon.

I kinda miss him.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 884
Ah yes... I'd forgotten about that.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1461
I miss him too. Fun guy.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10114
Dudes. check out how many icons on the desktop!

Busy night on MILF...LOL

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 885
I love how he even has speakers mounted on the door. How the heck does he open the door?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10118
vewy vewy swowy..hehehehehe

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10119
Infantisimal...do they get any smaller...
Like a willie in a cold pond...

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 886
I think there is one model smaller - the Infinity Amoebic VI.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10126
Should it be on IV

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1256
david, you should see what the front of the room looks like.

Post Number: 2
In response to David Mitchell; I kept three pairs for myself and sold the other 10. I also obtained 10 Infinity SSW-210 subwoofers from the same store when I bought the Infinitesimals. I kept two subs, and sold the other 8. The store was Tower Records, after they went out of business, and I paid $400.00 for the lot. I made $3700 after I sold everything. Minus the $400 I originally spent, the sales netted me $3300. Who's laughing now?
I have to say, I love good jokes, but "good Lord," where'd you bumpkins get those?! I was dissappointed in all the childlike responses, I was under the impression that the members on this site were a little more professional. Maybe it was just this crowd.
By the way, that picture from Stu Pitt is NOT of my installation.
I can't wait to hear the "intelligent" responses.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 895
SS, we like to joke around a lot here. No personal slight on you at all.

I had figured you sold most of the speakers. That's a pretty tidy profit you cleared, good job.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1258
SS needs to get the stick out.

I certainly don't miss Andy. He was a nut job.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10158
ss, just a friendly stop by for your post, sorry.

I miss Tower.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10159
What was you your best scoop there?
Besides the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2700
ss,

I didn't mean to offend you. The pictures I posted are from an old regular here, who was a good guy, but a little misguided.

Your pickup was a very good and smart one. Good review of your speakers. I haven't heard them, nor of them before for any additional comments about them.

Also, here's a shot of the front of Andy Summers' (Ashley) HT...

Upload

That's probably the cleanest and most organized pic of his system.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6809
I'm with you Christopher...I don't miss him...at all. Perhaps had he not posted some ridiculous picture with every post....good grief.

Post Number: 3
I obviously had you Gents pegged wrong, even Christopher :-) I appologize. Thanks to David and Stu, for the compliment. Nuck, there were four RANE amps (I think MA6) and two PYRAMID PEQ-60, 30 band EQ'S in a rack, but an "insider" got to them before I did. I didn't mention that a friend bought the other 10 pairs of Infinity Infinitesimals, which explains the amp and eq setup. I would have liked to have those RANES.
I've included a pic of the SSW-210 sub to reference, as well as a "peace offering" pic for you folks, which I hope might bring a chuckle.Upload
Upload

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1259
No probs SS.
Art- well atleast andy is isolating himself to the movies and offtopic section to annoy them with his pic spamming. He has a new name bluedolphin.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1277
Nice pick of Hillary, I sort of figured that's what Bill was waking up to and all...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10172
That pic gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Username: Zenboy

Post Number: 1
wow, there is almost no information about these online. all i was able to find out was that the tweeters are are the emitr's that you mentioned. i've had these for a couple months, and have searched google a lot, coming up with only ebay auctions and the like.

i'm new to the audio thing, but i'm a fan of these speakers, too.

do you happen to have a resource for parts for this speaker? I want to replace my grilles with new ones because mine are messed up (i bought them used)

i'd also like to refoam them. would something like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-4-5-Speaker-Foam-Repair-Kit-Woofer-Refoam_W0QQitemZ 300122536465QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3276QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153. l1262
like i said, i'm new to this.

thanks for the writeup.

Post Number: 4
zenboy,
I know how you feel unfortunately, as I've been there already. You might want to check this link out and send an email for parts availability.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/product_support/INF_contactus.aspx?ProdId=IN F%20IV%20(SYSTEM)&ProdName=INFINITESIMAL%20IV%20(SYSTEM)&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=U SA

I was quoted about $35 plus shipping for the drivers, but that was about a year ago. I don't recall seeing a listing for the grilles, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I haven't had to try the refoam kit, nor do I know anyone who has, but most of us at one time have had to "repair" a speaker surround in some "creative" way or another, and if successfull the speaker sounded fine. I would gamble that a manuafactured kit would be the way to go any day, as long as you're mechanically inclined, and especially since "vintage" speaker parts can be extremely difficult to obtain. If not done properly, however, the cone will be off-center/unlevel, and will potentially overheat and/or make contact with the voice coil, which will most likely destroy it over time. I would still give it a shot though.

I hope this info helps you out, and good luck. Post your results here later when you get a chance.

Username: Zenboy

Post Number: 3
Thanks for reply, s_s. I contacted infinity using the link you provided.

The reason why I asked about the refoam kit was that I was confused about foam surround fitment. Actually, the woofer is 5.25'', so I may just pick up any generic 5.25'' surround foam kit and hope that it works out.

Username: Gt80rider

USA

Post Number: 4
i owned these several years ago.....

the sat's would actually sound "rich" compared to the majority of todays LCR speakers, even very high end ones.... but, while they typically received "rave" reviews, they were just the beginning of the "thin sounding sats with subs" era we are now in.... they were unlistenable without a sub in the system (if you were looking for a real listening experience anyways)... and with sub, were not a match for even a modest true hi-fi speaker pair that utilized larger drivers ... they sounded "ok" on movies.... "above average" on top 40 type music... but just sounded weird for more esoteric listening... but- as i previously eluded to, they will kick the snot out of most of todays tiny LCR systems...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us