Budget Bookshelfs: EPOS ELS 3 or Wharfedale Diamnond 9.1s?

Username: Jk_livin22

North CarolinaU USA

Post Number: 1
I am helping to put together a system for my parents and am looking for some budget bookshelf speakers to pair with a certified factory refurbished Marantz SR4001 that I bought them for Christmas (the surrounds btw are just some low end Klipsch satellites that came with a Samsung HTIB they purchased a few years ago). I am primarily looking for bookshelf speakers between $200-$300. The list I started with consisted of Monitor Audio's BR1s ($199) and BR2s ($279), Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs ($235), EPOS ELS 3 ($296), and Wharfedale 9.1s ($269). I am in a very rural area unfortunately, and do not have access to audition any of these speakers myself.

My Dad mostly listens to Classical music (I think he is especially fond of the piano), while my mom is a big fan of the 50's music (Elvis in particular, as well as Fats Domino, etc.) They also love to watch college basketball on their HD plasma TV and watch a movie about once a week or so. I would say that their system use is probably 55 to 60% music. With all of that in mind (especially the types of music they enjoy) I was hoping you could provide me with some comparative characteristics of these speakers.

From everything I've read, the BR2s would be ideal, except that they are really too large for the area. The speakers are going to be placed on a knee/thigh high entertainment stand, approx 4 feet apart on either side of the TV. I have basically narrowed it down to the BR1s the EPOS ELS 3s, and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. I contacted Marantz and they said the SR4001 would have no problem driving a 4 ohm speaker. I have heard that sometimes 4 ohm speakers can sound muddy when paired with an amp that is not qualified for 4 ohms speakers. Do you have any thoughts on the EPOS (4 ohms) with this Marantz? I should also mention that at some point (probably will be next Christmas) we hope to add a fairly inexpensive sub to the system. But since this may be a year or better, I am wondering how much I should take into consideration each speaker's low end (55Hz for the BR1s, 65Hz for the ELS3s, and 50Hz for the 9.1s).

Although they are pushing the upper limits for size, I am fond of the Wharfedales because of their build quality, the silk dome tweeters (which I feel would make them quite smooth), and the option for bi-wiring, as well as some really good reviews. Although a couple of comments have me just a little concerned that they may be too warm, or lacking detail or separation. What are your thoughts on that?

I am fond of the EPOS because of some rave reviews for them as well, not to mention all the good things that I have read about them on several forums. I guess my concern with them is if they will be adequate for HT use (weekly ball games and 2 or 3 movies a month) without adding a sub in the immediate future. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think these would not be smooth enough or be at all too bright given the types of music they will be listening to? Also, one reviewer stated that "speaker stands are a must", which gives me pause since they are NOT going to be on stands.

I have not found any reviews of the BR1s, but have read some impressive reviews about the BR2s (and even more impressive reviews about the SR6s, which I hope to purchase for myself in the next month or so).

I hope I haven't asked you to repeat too much of what you stated in your earlier posts. I certainly appreciate any experience/knowledge you could share about these speakers especially as far as how suitable their characteristics are for the types of music I mentioned.

Ultimately I am hoping to get my parents to listen to and enjoy more music and therefore want to make sure that I get them a speaker with exceptional musicality (for a budget bookshelf) and to make sure that they are not too bright or in any way fatiguing.
At the moment I am leaning ever so slightly toward the Wharfedales.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1764
Those are very good prices for the MAs, are you sure they are the BR1 & BR2 and not the B1 & B2?

Have you considered the Infinity Beta 20 for $199 (factory refurb) for The Audio Video Source?

In the sub $300 category, you'd be hard pressed to do better, IMHO.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 2
D'oh! It seems as though I spoke to hastily. The Wharfedales, are in fact about half an inch to large. So I guess that leaves me with the EPOS as the front runner. Although one reviewer stated "Also, speaker stands are a must." Is there a sound reason (haha! pun intended) they would they say that?

Another person commenting on the ELS 3s stated that "I listen to mostly jazz/classical and some 60's/70's rock and am very pleased with them. Paired with a good sub(s) however and they sound phenomenal (for the price)." but went on to also say "if you have a 'bright' room they can sound awful and very painful to listen to regardless."

Well what am I to make of that!????

Maybe I can somehow make the Wharfedales work after all. Ahhhrrgggg!!!

This can be such a frustrating process...

p.s. Again, does anyone have any input on the MA BR1s or the Tannoys?

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
Hey thanks for posting Christopher. You are right, they were not the BRs but the B1s and B2s for that price, which I know nothing of. I'll have to check and see what I can find the BRs for.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1615
As much as im fond of the 9.1's and the els-3's,I agree with Christopher the Beta 20's are a deal of a life time.The 9.1's have a sweet midband with a awsome tweeter,the els-3's have that snappy midbass and great timing and rhythum a long standing Epos strength both speakers easily showing off what each companie does so well,but the Beta 20 is simply a highend speaker at budget and sardine prices and they have great bass to boot,far beyond what the 9.1's and the els-3's can churn out,a stellar buy 1 of the great buys in speakers right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1616
I see you have size constraints,if thats the case I really recomend the els-3's then,i would say the Dana 630 from the Audio Insider is the best speaker this size under $500 on the planet,but their now off of their sale price $349 a pr. back to $459 a pair.In that case the the els3 is deffinetly 1 of 2 the front runners,I owned a pair and i heard them set up with a Creek 5350 cdp and intergrated amp with a VPI Scout turntable and its 1 of the very best small setups i have heard to this day.A few more speakers to consider are the Usher S-520($375-$400),the Eltax Monitor III($279),and the Totem Dreamcatcher($450).At the price the els3's are tough to beat along with the Eltax Monitor III's,but if you have $459 to spend the Dana 630's are amazing!By the way I own all of them or have owned them except the Usher S-520's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1780
...or the smaller Infinity Beta 10. Also consider the Energy RC-Mini & the Monitor Audio Radius R90 if you are really tight on space.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 4
Hi Tawaun, thanks for the feedback. All I can say is Wow! I am a bit of a newb and only an aspiring audiophile at best, but I thought that Infinity, Cerwin Vega, Polk Audio, etc., were the domain of the American redneck rocker, Lol! Again, the number one concern is the speaker's musicality followed by imaging, imaging, and imaging. Your comments from an earlier post about the sweet sounding silk dome tweeters of the Wharfedales, as well as other statements you've made, really resonated with me and gave me the feeling that the qualities and characteristics you appreciate in your music are very similar to mine. Although, I must keep in mind that these speakers are not for me, but for my parents, and I think that a speaker that is much too warm would be preferable to one that is slightly too bright. Of course I would like plenty of separation and detail, just want to make sure that they don't become fatiguing and cause them to turn off the music and opt for the TV after only half an hour or so of listening. Also, although I know what bass reflex speakers are, I really don't know what the general feeling about them is. I read somewhere (How Stuff Works I think) that sealed speaker cabinets tend to be more accurate/precise because the air pressure in the cabinet helps to keep the drivers optimally positioned. As you commented on the 9.1s, could you give me your assessment of the characteristics of the Beta 20? How would you describe the treble and mid-range? Also, I have been very impressed with the build quality of the European speaker manufactures (i.e. Wharfedale, of course B&W, etc.). As I alluded to earlier, my thoughts on Infinity generate visions of Will Farrell in Old School washing his Chevy Camero in the driveway blasting Whitesnake, (or was it Great White, or White Lion ???) through his car speakers. Seems that I may have ignorantly lumped Infinity in with the wrong group of speaker manufacturers. Can you comment on the build quality of Infiniy's speakers?

And finally thanks again for everyone's thoughts and comments. These forums are a lifesaver for those of us who are just getting into this and know just enough to know what it is that we don't know.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 5
Wow, that Dana 630 is one good looking speaker!

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 6
Looks like the RC-Mini has been very well received also. Thanks Christopher.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1781
Read post #47

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647998&page=2

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
The Inifnity Beta 20's have a very full sound but they are very nuetral and have more resolution and detail than everything at their retail price let alone their street price and the garbage in garbage out rule applies with them good electronics are needed to hear them in their full glory and they are very effecient to boot,a small tube intergrated like 25 watt push/pull will be awsome on them they are very extended on the topend without being bright with huge dynamics.They have very impressive bass its tight and detailed and it goes down to the low 40's or upper 30's in room response.Another advantage of the Beta 20's is their tweeter and their woofer is made of the same material similar to electrastatics or Magnapans so the material being the same wont introduce tonal differences between the drivers so this insures coherancy, they are not built like a budget speaker by any means,they are very close to Revels in design and Harman international owns both companies and they have the advantage of being the biggest and richest audio company on the planet,in turn they can build something very special for a lower than normal price.Christophers suggestion of the Beta 10,may be worth looking into to same as the Beta 20's just smaller,good luck!

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 7
I keep reading more and more great things about the beta series. As far as the room layout and speaker placement goes, my parents are considering a built in bookcase/home entertainment center. This would allow the speakers to be placed further apart and would not be so obtrusive ascetically next to the TV and should provide for much better soundstage/imaging; however, would the Betas' rear port enclosure make them a bad candidate for actually placing on a bookshelf?

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 8
Tawaun said:

"The Inifnity Beta 20's have a very full sound but they are very nuetral and have more resolution and detail than everything at their retail price let alone their street price and the garbage in garbage out rule applies with them good electronics are needed to hear them in their full glory and they are very effecient to boot,a small tube intergrated like 25 watt push/pull will be awsome on them they are very extended on the topend without being bright with huge dynamics."

In my initial post, I stated that I had purchased a Marantz SR4001. As far as garbage in garbage out, I would think this unit should provide a fairly clean audio signal, at least I hope. In other words, to the best of your knowledge, do think this receiver would be a good match with the characteristics of this line of speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us