Mordaunt Short MS40 + Cambridge Azur 640A?

STEK
Unregistered guest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a pair of 8-years old Mordaunt Short MS40 and recently just bought a Cambridge Audio Azur 640-A. For some reason, the sound isn't exactly fantastic and I'm wondering if it's becos my speakers is too old or that my amp is underpowered? The Cambridge Azur 640A-S has 65 Watts per channel (8 ohms) but my MS speakers has max capacity of 300W and requires amp specs of 15 - 150W RMS. What should I do? Should I dump my MS speakers and get a newer but lower rated speakers or should I just change my amp to a more powerful one?

Anonymous

The Amp is good so I suggest You
look for more easily driven, and better
sounding speakers !!! Lots have happened
in 8 years !!!

Unregistered guest
And what do you think about the very good amp Cambridge Azur 640A combined with the more sensitive Kef Q1? Please, send me your personal opinion.
Roberto

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 66
The Kef Q1's are a lovely speaker and would sound good with the Azur. I've heard a 640A through Q5's and it sounded really nice, the Q5's are basically Q1's with more bass. The whole Q range has a very similar sound.

Anonymous

To Sun King.
I'd like to have your personal opinion on this matter.
For budget reasons, I've to choose between this two system:
1) CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640A (or, in alternative, ROTEL RA02)+ CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640C + KEQ Q5, or
2)ARCAM A75 Plus + ARCAM CD 73 + KEF Q1.

The question, infact, is simply this: with the same budget, is it better to buy the above mentioned cheaper amp and CD player combined with more expensive loudspeakers or better amp ad CD with bookshelf loudspeakers?

Could you suggest me any solution?

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 70
Well, different people will give you different answers here my friend. Personally, spend all you can on speakers is my advice. That doesn't mean skimp elsewhere of course because everything is important. If you have a poor source then no matter how good your amp and speakers, crap in equals crap out. Having said that, the speakers take the signal given from the amp and produce it to the listener. Therefore they are the most important item in the chain as far as I'm concerned. I've heard brilliant gear played through cheap speakers and the sound has been average and I've heard cheap gear played through brilliant speakers and the sound has been very impressive. I don't think that's an issue here though as the Cambridge 640c is a good cdp and the Azur amp is decent also. I think I'd prefer the Rotel RA02 out of those two options you give though and if you could stretch to the Nad C542 cdp then I think you'd notice the difference. So to answer your question directly, I'd get the Rotel RA02, the Nad c542 and the Q5 speakers. However, there is some justification in getting the 640a and 640c in that you would have a matching system looks-wise and your amp remote would also operate your cd player for added convenience. This is a non-audiophile decision of course as it doesn't affect the sound! So, if looks and one less remote kicking about the place are important to you (and why shouldn't they be) then get the Cambridge Azur kit - you'll not be disappointed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us