Receivers comparable to HK AVR 245 that are smaller?

Silver Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 165
I recently bought an HK AVR-245 refurb from Harman Direct on eBay for $330 shipped. It's nice and seems to give the speakers enough juice, but I didn't realize how bit it was. Are there any other receivers that are smaller but still pump out just as much power and are close to as feature-packed as the 245 is? Weight is not an issue...the heavier the better, dimensions are the only issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
anyone know of anything?

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 495
Get anothor h/k avr-145

or get one of there 2 channle amps

its not that big really I have the same one

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
i need a 7 channel...i know its not that big....but ive gotta maximize my space...its going in a dorm room...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 6997
The panasonic XR55 is small and light.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
man that thing looks good. found the XR57 which adds on HDMI (although not switching) and an extra set of component jacks....ill prolly go with that. great find nuck thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1184
Listen to it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
i trust nuck. plus this thing has a frickin cult following. thats gotta say something. are monitor speakers bright though? i know the panny's kinda bright...im switching to the radius series...r90s for fronts and r45 for rears. single orb in the center til i can afford an r180.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7006
"I trust Nuck".

You are kidding, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7007
MC, like anything on the net, be sure of the return policy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
nope not kidding hahaha.

i will, ill probably get it from either jr, bhphoto, or amazon.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1185
If it were MY system, switching to different class amps in a receiver without listening to ANYTHING, AND basing an electronics purchase solely upon what best fits on the shelf (I see you have a similar thread on which speakers fit best in some dark corner of your room), all adds up to complete lunacy. Your very presence in these forums baffles me. Bose is your best bet, it was designed for you.

But it's not my system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
no i'm looking for a decent sounding system that's not too big. i didnt sit here and choose the receiver that fits on the shelf and is rated at 200 wpc but really pumps out 35 wpc....i chose the receiver that fits on the shelf, pumps out the power, has the surround modes i'm looking for, along with a VERY significant following....114 pages on the Panny over on AVForums? if it were a shitty receiver it wouldnt be getting that much attention.

i'm a high school student in the middle of a sports season. i get up everyday at 6 am, and i dont arrive home til 7 30 at night. i dont have TIME to go look at things in store. all the stores are closed by the time i'd be able to get there. i'm out of town for tournaments on weekends, so i'm essentially left with no options but to trust word of mouth. i took recommendations for my HK and my Wharf's and i love them. they're absolutely perfect in everything except size. its my mistake for not realizing how big they were.

this is my first home multichannel home stereo so i'm not sitting out here with 10 grand to spend on it. i've currently got a $700 budget and SIZE REQUIREMENTS to meet. i've seen enough good reviews about all of the equipment i'm getting to feel confident in my decisions. the panny is small because its efficient...its a digital amp that puts out every last bit of power it was rated for (a german magazine tested it and published the results). the speakers, although small, have gotten great reviews from numerous magazines. i'm aware that they won't be quite as dynamic as the 9.2's, but they'll do the job for the room ive got.

lastly, im smart enough not to go out and grab some shoddyass bose piece of crap system thats priced at 5 grand more than i can spend, and sounds like complete shitt.

"basing an electronics purchase solely upon what best fits on the shelf"
- my decisions were all based on word of mouth and mag reviews. unlike you i dont have the luxury of being able to spend hours at a store auditioning systems in rooms that are much more acoustically tuned than mine will ever be. im happy with what i have and thats what counts to me.

if i had chosen something solely off of size then hell this lil piece of crap JVC system sure looks good to me. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120900&I=257UXEP25
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us