Enclosure size for 15" sub

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4177
I have an Ascendant Audio 15" Avalanche that's been sitting around for a couple years and I want to put it in my house. I think it's in a 2.5
cf sealed box right now. I know home audio enclosures are usually much bigger (well for ported boxes at least). How would it sound if I threw that sub in the same box in my living room? Should I build a bigger box? Should I go ported instead? Seems like most home audio subs are ported.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 17031

Build the enclosure according to the requirements of the driver. Check the T/S parameters of the driver, either with the manufacturer or seller, and build what will work for the driver. Home audio subwoofers don't necessarilly need to be in a larger enclosure or a sealed vs vented box. However, most drivers meant for car audio seldom sound very good in a room due to the opposing T/S parameters which are used for each environment.

Username: Rdiiorio

Post Number: 3
Not familiar with your driver or its electrical specs but I use a JBL 2235H 15" driver in a 5.5 Cu-Ft box with a 3.5"x12" tube port. JBL recommended this. The parameters of the enclosure necessary are generally given by the manufacturer of the driver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us