From vinyl to CD

Ricardo Vanegas
From all the articles I've read, it says you should use a computer to record your vinyl to CD. Is it possible to record your vinyl to CD using your receiver, phono and a CD recorder?

Alex
Yes, you just don't have the flexibility the computer provides. You should be able to hook the input of the recorder to the Tape Out on your receiver (do they have those on receivers anymore?) If your receiver doesn't have tape out, try the headphone out and an adaptor to connect it to the input of the recorder. You have to be careful that you don't mess with the volume control while recording when using that method.

Does anyone have a recommendations for an affordable (meaning maybe $300 or less, not more than $400) cd recorder that would work especially well for recording LPs onto CDs?

Thanks for any tips!
Rita

Derek
If your receiver has a Phono input - use it. It will likely be high quality. Connect the Line-in and Line-out of your computer or laptop to the receiver as if it were a tape deck and use a cheap CD-RW driver and burn away. I wouldn't spend $400 and an audio component when a $20 burner can do the same thing.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=14088186&St=6126&St2=-55154136&St3=54986648&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=5380&DID=7

Hello! I'm relatively clueless when it comes to computer stuff, and all my father wants for Christmas is a way to use his new Dell to digitize his reel-to-reel Christmas music from the 70's. I have looked all over and can't find reviews on the computer programs out there. Does he need hardware, or will software be enough? What is the best out there, so noise and such are limited? THANK YOU for any input!

Heck I'm trying to record grand dads old 78's to cd. But obviously since I ran it thru the headphone jack into the input on the cd recorder. had the volume up to high. Does anyone have a good recommendation on how low or high the volume should be to be of any use.

Black Math
When you usw a cd recorder, does it give you the ability to set up different songs as tracks. If one side of the LP was track one and the other two, I would not be too hip to that. I believe with your computer you can edit the PCM file into different tracks (with the right software). You may need a sound card that takes stereo analog inputs. Do all sound cards have this?

Anonymous
1. only connect the CD recorder to a line level output on your stereo. DON'T connect to a headphone jack. If you don't have a line out, you need a better stereo (sorry, it's true!)

2. Never connect anything to the phono input on a stereo except a turntable! The input sensitivity is all wrong for anything else, and the phono input has a RIAA tone correction circuit which will make anything other than a phono signal sound like garbage!

3. I use a dedicated audio CD burner (a good one is less than $200) because my stereo is not in the same room as my computer (which does have a CDR, used for other things).

4. Any CDR will probably do a fine job of recording your albums. I've burned dozens of albums to CDs this way.
I can say that Philips CD recorders will allow you to record an album and increment the track with each song. You simply press the track 'up' button any time you want a new track on the new CD... it can be between songs, or even in the middle of a song, it you want.

Username: Jch

Post Number: 3
With the help of my youngest son I installed the audigy 2 Platinum Ex and the ATI All in wonder card in my PC and now I can record and burn to CD any medium that you can think of. The sound quality on the CD's is as good as one could expect. Video capture is great also. The system costs a bit more than I wanted pay at the start with but now that I've bit the bullett a got what was reported to be the best,,, IT'S GREAT

Unregistered guest
Is there any way to record digital music from my computer to my componet cd burner.The line out on my comp does not work i guess so all that works is the head phones output.i cant think of anything that works for this. if anyone has any ideas that would be very helpful .thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a laptop and would like to transfer vinyl to cd but do not have a "line in" input socket.
Do i need an audio interface device to solve this problem. Has anyone had this problem, or can recommend a solution.

groovinhouse.tk
Unregistered guest
I use the Pioneer PDR609 cd recorder to copy my vinyls onto cdr (audio)
my turntable (stanton str8-80)has a built in digital output (coax) (s/p-dif)
very good sound quality of the cd's

Username: Ppitts

Post Number: 1
when I run my phono into my microphone input, I can record to my PC, but it has a distorted sound as if it is too loud. I set the recording loudness to the level it said to but it still had that "speaker rattling" sound. Any ideas how to remedy this?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 255
Short answer to your question is yes.

Kaboom
Unregistered guest
Yeah, if u plug a cartridge into a mic input u are missing all of the RIAA equalization, and presumably rated power output of a cartridge is way higher than that of a microphone. U'll need a phono preamplifier, which will allow you to connect it to "line in", or to the same input but set up as line in sensitivity instead of microphone sensitivity.
i am VERY happy with the Btech 926. for way under a 100 bux, it kicks some serious a$$. sure its not on par with the 5000+ stuff, but it will more than suffice for the purpose here stated

armchairmanoftheboard
Unregistered guest
A phonograph or turntable can NOT be plugged into a mic input or CD input or anything except a PHONO input. It does not matter what the level is because you will get a very bad sound no matter what, you must use the PHONO input on your receiver ( Because it has a special kind of circuitry that only works on albums). Then the way you get it to the CD recorder( wheather it is a stand alone or in the computer) is by using the tape output of the receiver( Remember it must say OUT and that goes in to your recording device). Those would be the red and white RCA plugs on the back of the receiver. The way you can tell these jacks is: They will say something like VCR in and VCR out OR they will say Tape in and Tape out. You only need to plug into the OUTPUT of the receiver and it will not matter what the volume level is because it does not affect this plug. I will try to explain the various ways these can be labelled, it might say Tape Monitor, DAT, CDR, VCR, Tape 1, Tape2. Notice that all of these different choices have to do with recording and each of these selections will have an Input and an Output. You really only need the output part of the equation to go to the CD recorder. With the stand alone unit you can use the input. Remember when hooking up the stand alone unit, it will integrate perfectly into your system just like hooking up a regular tape deck or a reel to reel.
The output of your recorder goes to the input side of the reciever and the input side of the recorder goes to the output side of the receiver in the corresponding SET of Jacks. ie: use all 4 jacks of the Tape 1 or all 4 of the VCR. Note: do not use the yellow jacks, these are for video only. OK I hope this helps and in simple terms. I red all the answers to the questions and thought they were good but just needed a simpler explaination. Anyone trying other ways without the Phono input or also called Phono Equalization must have a seperate PHONO Equalization unit to pass the signal through(* Radio Shack has these). Without PHONO input you will hear terrible Hum or buzzing and volume level will sound wrong or distorted.

Unregistered guest
I am thinking to buy a Stanton STR8-80 to burn cd's from LPs on my notebook. Do I need any interface between the turntable and the notebook? I understand this turntable has a built-in preamp. How about connecting it to the computer?

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A TURNTABLE AND PIONEER RECEIVER, SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2ZS PLATINUM AND GOLD TIP RCA CONNECTORS, BUT I CANT GET ANY SOUND OUT OF MY I TRIGUE 2.1 SPEAKERS WITH SUBWOOFER. COULD SOMEONE WALK ME THRU (STEP, BY STEP) OF THE HOOK UP PROCESS TO GET SOUND

THANK YOU EKNEELAND@HOTMAIL

Username: Annoyingmouse

Just a moment...
Some modern equipments are not designed to take a record deck, they don't have "Phono" inputs. You can use your "Auxiliary" inputs so long as your record deck has an RIAA filter and pre-amplifier built into it. Most new record decks have those fitted so they become compatible with modern stereo equipments.

If your record deck hasn't got an RIAA/Pre-amp... all is not lost. You can buy a simple battery driven RIAA/Pre-amp from most good stereo retail outlets. You'll be looking for something like this... http://www.audioconsult.dk/produkter/thorens/phonopreamp.htm and they don't cost you megga bucks either.

I use my trusty 'Sharp' record deck, with an 'Empire' MC cartridge, wired directly to my PC's soundcard using an RIAA/Pre-amp just like this one... it works fine.

Username: Farmers

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I have some limited experiance with this area. My father had some Old "78" records I thought would be a good father/son Project to convert to CD. I bought a used Notebook with the that time "Celeron" (Lower End) Chip. Since Notebooks are not optimized for a Sound Card, I bought an M-Audio Transit USB Sound Card. For the Software I chose CLEAN (Ver. 4 I think)I bought the upgraded package that included a Perephial PreAmp (Ended up using a Sears Stereo Receiver(W/8-Track) but seemed to get better sound with it. Some of todays receivers and Home Theater have Phono Plug-Ins, but they are usually a the top end of the lines. The biggest problems I had were finding a Turntable that ran @ 78 RPM (Lucky I had the original Turntable) The other option is to buy a new one used for DJ Work ( The newer ones at least have an on board Pre-Amp)
The main reason I chose the Computer/Software Route is that since I was dealing with "78"s and the little known fact is that with the Recording Industry being in its infancy, that "78" Could actualy been recorded at +/- 2-4 rpm. Within the CLEAN Software there is the ability to deal with the above situation.
If you feel that Direct to CD from Vinyl is the route to go, then Teac has a $500.00 Can option in there Retro Turntable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us