I want a processor or receiver with pre-outs.

Username: Sergio_vestigio

Post Number: 4
I have been scoping out some receivers with preouts and some processors to find the best deal. First priority is music, so no sacrifices can be made with 2 channel sound. I already have an older Rotel Pre/pro with pro-logic and no 5.1 analog input. I don't want to make a step down in stereo quality. It either goes up or stays about the same, if possible.

I also have a Carver 5 channel amplifier that I will continue to use if I get a receiver or processor. One of my questions is, especially concerning Outlaw's receiver and processor which are only $200 apart, I was wondering if they use the same processor. Both units have all the same appearance and inputs, and it seems to me the for $200 more I could have the internal amplifiers if I decide to use them for something.

Here is what I have looked at so far, no listening experiance with them just internet research.

Rotel RSP-1068 (MSRP:$1699)
Rotel RSX-1057 receiver w/preouts(MSRP:$1499)
Adcom GFR-700 receiver w/preouts(MSRP:$1999)
Adcom GTP-870HD(MSRP:$2499)
Outlaw Model 970 (MSRP:$699)
Outlaw Model 990 (MSRP:$1099)
Outlaw Model 1070 receiver w/preouts (MSRP:$899)
NAD T743 receiver w/preouts 5.1 only (MSRP:$699)

I just want some opinions on these and any other make and model you think meet the needs.

Some side notes, HDMI doesn't concern me and I have no set budget (though I won't likely spend much more that $1000 unless I think that it is something completely awesome.)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9293

At this point in time, I see no reason to make 5.1 analog inputs a priority unless you now intend to invest heavily in SACD or DVD-A. If you don't already have a sizeable collection of either format, you have no need for such an input as the industry has moved on to more fertile ground (?). Both formats are all but dead in the brick and mortar shops and you'll be buying hi-rez discs from on line retailers. The specialty audiophile oriented disc companies are sticking with SACD - DVD-A is really out of the picture for music and is shifting its focus to music videos - while the major companies that invented SACD are abandoning their child in favor of HD-DVD and BluRay. So the music you like might not be available on SACD afterall.

HDMI inputs on the receiver/processor allow a conventional DVD player to upscale to near HD quality of video presentation, if the feature is available on the player you choose. I got this feature in a $169 Panasonic DVD recorder I just purchased. If your monitor doesn't provide HDMI yet, this might not be important unless you will be shopping in the near future for a new video unit.

Do you think that Outlaw would be using the same processors in a receiver and processor with only $200 difference in price? Even if the chips are the same, you will get better performance from the separate component.

Username: Eleven

Post Number: 8
Forgive my ignorance, but, following the logic of the previous post, are there any universal players that will output SACD or DVD-A over HDMI?

Bronze Member
Username: Eleven

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 47
Anyone know this answer?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1006
GC-none that I am aware of, especially since HDMI is a Video standard, not an audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us