Stereo Setup for College Dorm Room?

Bronze Member
Username: Tc_skier

Post Number: 64
Hey, i'm looking to buy a receiver and 2 speakers for about 400-500...i dont want to spend too much more than that.

i need suggestions on the speakers. i was looking at an onkyo tx sr504 receiver (about $270). basically just a 75 watt/channel, 5 channel (or more) receiver for under 275 combined with speakers was my goal. this will be strictly for music. the room is about 14'x12'x10'. so really about 200-300 for a pair of speakers. ill add more speakers as i go along and i get the money. i have a powered sub here at home already so no worries about that.

just want something really really good for music. my dad's got a pair of mod1 orb's in the basement...they're nice...a bit tinny though maybe? i was looking at elemental design's new home audio line. i thought the a6-5t5 looked really nice, and at about 200, it wouldnt break the bank. but im wondering what other suggestions you guys have for a pair of $200-250 speakers. i will expand later on as the money (and space) comes in, but this is all i need right now. thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3768
Paradigm Titans can be had from most dealers for around $150 right now as it is a model that will likely be discontinued. For a receiver I would look at an HK3380. You don't need more than 2 channels for music unless you have a large collection of SACD's and DVD A's. Lots of options at that price. Infinity Primus speakers are a very good bargain.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
the reviews im reading on the titans look great...so you think best speaker und $250? im only gonna use my ipod...so no cd's...would it be worth it to get a 5-7 channel now and make it last for 10-15 years...or should i just get a 2 channel and move up to a 7 channel 8 years down the road when im out of med school and in a house, not an aparment? will a 2 channel sound better than a 7 channel for just music? also do 2 channels have a subwoofer output?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
ok after looking around, the HK AVR245 seems to be a better option i think? it has an ipod input, maintains <.07% THD, and when in stereo mode puts out 65 WPC on average..only 15 WPC less than the 3380. it would allow to hold on to the receiver for a long long time and provide 7 channels when im ready to move into a surround setting...is this a decent receiver though? or is there better stuff for the money? looks pretty good to me i guess...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
how many watts will the titans take? can they take 120 (HK 3480)? or can they take 60

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3770
It matters not if the receiver has more power than the speakers are rated to handle. That's what the volume control is for. Better to have too much power than too little.

Yes a 2 channel receiver will usually sound better for music than a multi channel receiver. Less junk between the source and your ears. The HK AVR's using their version of pure direct will sound pretty good though. I would simply buy the best that you can afford.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 806
The HK3480 (refurb) can be had for under $200 2 Harmon's eBay store. It's an excellent choice, as are several (refurb) surround receivers from Pioneer at their eBay store for even less.

Consider these speakers in your pricerange:

Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 or 8.2 @ Amazon
Mission M31 @ STO Sound & Vision
Infinity Beta 10 or 20 @ eBay
Onix X-LS @ AV123
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or 9.2 @ At Your Service Electronics http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=155_181&sort=20a&page= 2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
thank you i will look into all of those. after reading some more, it appears the infinity primus speakers topped out the titan's in a few comparisons, therefore i will keep looking. i keep hearing about these wharfedale's so im definitely interested. the receiver's second i guess.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 349
i own the H/k avr-245

Has plenty of power! , and the ipod dock is pretty kool

Great reciever , go for it

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 350
And has great woofer control, so maxing out the mid/bass drivers shouldnt be a prolem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
kyle are you running it in stereo mode?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us