B&W ASW 300 opinions?

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 319
Does anyone have any opinions of the B&W ASW 300 8" subwoofer. Tight? Musical? Yes/No?

B&W ASW 600 10" sub?

The local B&W dealer is closing so there may be price reduction.

Music only... To be used with Energy C-3s and a Marantz SR4320 or Rotel RX-1052 receivers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6995

Dollar for dollar, the B&W subs are well worth the money.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 320
Jan, Thanks for your reply!

Anonymous

I have used an ASW300 for about two years now, and I love it. Definitely musical and I like it so much I'm considering a second for my other sound system.

I have a small room in a small house, and I use the sub with some 5" two-ways. The connectivity is great - I use the sub to filter off the bottom end before sending the rest of the range to the 2-ways. Some folks were telling me that I didn't have enough sub with only an 8" driver, but once they heard it, they changed their mind. It is more than enough for my house. Two years later and I still sometimes just sit and listen to the system play for the heck of it.

The B&W cost about 3x my original budget, but I do not regret it in the least.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 321
Nice to read your response. The ASW300 is at the top of my list. I read a review of the B&W 300 HT system by HiFiChoice which said the ASW300 was "a real, hairy-chested power house...actually very tuneful...packs a startling wallop and extension for a box of such modest stature...".

I was not able to audition the sub at the closing stereo shop. Most of the equipment had already been sold and "the boss" was not there for advice. The "employee" was not familiar with the ASW300 or ASW600 but did say the B&W subs were the best they had for audio (also carried Klipsch among others). He offered 10% to 15% off at their store in the state capital which is remaining open. I'll go take a listen after the new year...Thanks again for your response, ANON!

Username: Ctb

Post Number: 1
I haven't been there in a while and the store has moved to a new location, but I listened to my ASW at Almas in Dearborn. That's also where I bought mine. I haven't had a chance to track down the new location of Almas, but it might be closer for you than Lansing.

PS: I'm "Anonymous" above. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 324
CTB...Alma's is now in Royal Oak on Woodward, south of Eleven Mile Road. Did they give you a discount when you made your purchase?

Post Number: 2
Nope, no discount from Almas when I got mine. I admit I really didn't ask for one since they had monopoly on the item to the best of my knowledge, and I had no leverage. :-) I paid the full $349 plus tax. That was actually less painful than letting the unit warm up prior to turning it on - it was a very cold winter day when I got mine, so I waited until it was room temp.

Thanks for the info on the new location of the store.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 326
www.almashifi.com

That's interesting...I guess times have changed. On Alma's web product page they say they sell at "a fraction" of the price that other places charge. To be sure, there are lot of B&W dealers in the area for competion if your willing to drive. I have no problem with shopping around for the best deal.

BTW...I did try to send you a PM but it didn't go through...Had no luck with sending a couple months ago to another person either. Was asking you to elaborate on your sub/main/amp wiring to achieve the bass roll of the mains.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2559
Rick, you may want to look into the Tannoy TS8 and TS10 subs they are small and quite musical. I will be the lone naysayer here and say that I had a terrible time with B&W subs and took mine back. I traded my ASW750 for an Era Sub 10 and have been very happy with it. Another good low cost option beside the Tannoy's is the REL Quake.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 328
Yes, but I need the sub to have a high pass filter & high level speaker inputs and outputs. There is no other way with the Rotel RX-1052. I want to roll off the bass of the mains at 80Hz to maximize midrange detail. The other sub on my list is the Alegria TOM.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2564
My Rotel receiver had pre outs...wow! I just looked at the back panel on the 1052. What an omission. Oh well...sorry about that.

Post Number: 3
Rick,
With the flexible connectivity of the ASW, I have mine hooked up this way:

My preamp outs go to the RCA inputs of the sub. Then the sub offers two RCA outputs - full range ("Link Out") and high-pass ("Line Out"). I take the high pass RCA output (which has a fixed lower cutoff of 80Hz IIRC) to my main amp's input. That way it isn't even amping the low frequencies. I have the sub cutoff freq set to about 85 hz or so, but of course you adjust to taste/room/equipment, etc. I'll verify these connections later today when I can take a look at the sub.

You probably know that the ASW accepts speaker-level inputs as well. However, it only offers RCA outputs.

Interesting about the PM. I tried PM'ing you (Rick) as well, but I guess it didn't work either.

Post Number: 4
Whoops, I was incorrect above. The ASW 300 does have speaker-level outs as well. Not sure what I was thinking...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us